used pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CARL jr

Aug 12, 2015
michigan
if I was to buy a used pellet stove what brands should I stay away from.ps this will be installed in my 1000sf uninsulated basement if it can help heat the main floor so be it. reviews on pellet stoves are shaky at best. so would welcome some good info.

Several manufactures have disappeared. Trying to heat a poorly insulated basement to help or try get heat upstairs will probably a futile effort and discussed on this site frequently.

I under stand that. My main goal is to take the chill out of basement.if helps main level that would be just a plus. I have been heating my house with wood for 20 yrs. but I know nothing about pellet stoves. One seems like it would be good for this application. So I want to start with a used stove.

If it is for the situation you described, I would say just about any stove out there will do the trick. Buying used can always be tricky, so if you aren't handy you may wish to stick to stove brands for which there are dealers in the area in case you need someone to help maintain / fix it. If you are handy, I would think the world is your oyster.

In fact, you might look into some of the cheap stove sold by BBB's and buy new instead of used (those are, IMHO, the stoves that are riskiest when buying used). They usually have very good phone support, you just won't have a dealer network to go to for help. And, they are within the same ballpark figure as a used stove for some of the better brands.

The one stove that I have heard almost nothing but complaints about is Drolet.

I am a aircraft tech.and a certified tig welder so I believe I fall into the handy category. What are your thoughts on a Harman accerantra

Reactions: Lake Girl
I am for info on discrepancies to look for beyond the obvious. The things only someone who has experience with this unit would know about.

I would stay away from any positive pressure firebox stoves like a Earth stove. Positive pressure has long since lost favor as they had back burn problems catching hoppers on fire.
The Accentra is a very nice stove sharing a reliable safe bottom feed system and on board temperature controls but the newer improved units no longer have a chain drive. To nice really to hide in the basement. Couple people on site lucked out and got one for dirt cheap last season and are very pleased.

And you hit the nail on the head. The hole point of stove in bacement is to enjoy the basement, I have a walkout with to huge Windows and doorwall with view, it will become my new tv room when it's warm. So I am going to look at stove tonight and I'll give the Harman accentra real good shake down.

Harman stoves have a nice feature is that you can turn them on to test all motors. A fire up is needed on any stove to rule out any big issues. See if you can get any of the venting. A wall thimble starts around $50

Fireplace mode is great to have so you can have a fire and not have the room fan running and is available I believe on Harman only.

Almost can't go wrong with a Harman. and an Accentra would look nice in a TV room.

The hole point of stove in bacement is to enjoy the basement, I have a walkout with to huge Windows and doorwall with view, it will become my new tv room when it's warm.

If this had been part of the original question, I think you would have gotten more useful feedback to begin with. I imagined you were using your basement as I currently use mine; workshop, storage and workout area. Don't need a nice looking stove there, so never thought that you might.

I know, a little late now, and not trying to rag on you, just letting you know that the more info you put in your post, the better answers you will get.

Hope that Accentra was in good shape, and the price even better!

Harmans are very well made, reliable, and minimal maintenance stoves. I am very happy with mine. What price are they asking?

that's precisely how we use are basement also for now. I do plan on finishing it in the future. it will have a bedroom, bathroom, tv room and workroom. I should say when construction is completed there will no longer be a pellet stove, it will be replaced with a wood burning stove. I will have to core through my wall for wood stove chim, and I am not willing to commit to a final stove location at this time. this is why I want a used pellet stove . As bags stated in his last post, "Harmans are very well made, reliable, and minimal maintenance stoves" with that being sead the best layed plans, I mite want to stay with a pellet stove when the basement is completed. so I am not looking to spend a lot out of the gate but at the same time I want to do my best not to purchase a money pit. this is why I posted in first place to try weed out the c's and d's pellet stove and end up with a used a's and 'b's stove.

Reactions: bogieb
ps I have been reading forum as a guest for some time, this forum has a vast wealth of knowledge. thank for the info.

Reactions: bogieb
I believe bags bought two harman stoves last year ... one new, one used. With the help of the Harman owners here, was able to shake down the used Harman so he didn't waste his dollars on his purchase. You can go to the Harman site for helpful manuals and videos ... check on how to test the Accentra in the manual.

Good luck and give us an idea of price point they are asking ... Harman owners here can give you a good idea if it's a fair price.

Reactions: bags
two for sale 1200.00 and 1500.00

ps I am not stuck on just Harman

Not at all bad for that fancy model. P series around here go for that if in excellent condition.

Lake Girl is correct. I did buy a new P68 and a used PC45. IMO the bang for the buck on the two is a toss up as they are both great stoves. The 45 took some elbow grease and simple stuff for $1,600 used cost vs. the price of a new P43 or 61 costs. I scored there and will also say thanks to Bioburner for the instructional coaching he did to guide me thru basically a complete rebuild which it did not need but I took the liberty to do so for several reasons. 1. Get to and thru the nuts and bolts of it all, learn how to trouble shoot and do any and ALL of my own maintenance and on and on. 2. See how these things really work and operate. 3.Save loads of cash on service and cleaning, 4., >>> I could go on. All tht it needed was a go thorough cleaning and cheap seats door gaskets. It still fired and ran pretty well being neglected by the previous owner. Ya'll get the picture.

Thanks Again Bio and Rona! Along with a few others without a doubt.

I will be very straight forward............ I am a hard core Harman guy now. Another tid bit of info is the fact a friend of mine that showed me his Cozy insert told me to go the extra cash for a Harman. He is now buying a new Accentra to replace that $2,700 learning curve of an investment. I hate to step up and tell it like it is but facts are facts. I am happy and have zero regrets.

The hardest part was listening to the witch groan about me dropping some hefty cash not once but twice in a months time for my two stoves. No problem....... After a short time she was consistently warm in a low maintenance, trouble free kinda way. And here is the beauty of it all.

She had to eat some serious crow STFU!!!!! I give her chit about it now and did all last heating season. I can be very unforgiving at times and she'll hear it again all season this year. <><><><> Bet you asses on it. ;lol:cool:

Hey bags, go easy on your lady ... it was a big leap of faith when changing to a new heating system. She probably appreciates easier heating chores vs. outside boiler or wood stoves.

If I was looking for an insert, I would probably go with the Accentra. We looked at the freestanding Harmans but wanted something with a bit more in the looks department.

The wife and I tease each other and she knows I am playing around mainly. But it is a bunch of fun when I am winning. :p LOL! I refer to her as the "witch" but she is very sweet and easy going although she was not particularly a happy camper when I drug the new P68 home let alone another pellet stove weeks later. It is all good now. In fact, it was all good as soon as the cold hit and stayed.;)

I give her grief every time she sweeps. Like, Ummm, you better be careful there. You could possibly fly away on that thing. Ask her how much fun it is to go shopping with me. Like most chics she likes shoes. I have a field day when she drags me into a shoe store. I say things like those might get a little rough on your feet late night when you are out walking the track hooking and stuff. And stuff like yeah, those hooker boots will scream out at the Johns. The wife just rolls her eyes. It is the smirks on others faces that are priceless. Last new broom I bought I handed it to her right at the check out and said take it for a ride and see if ya like it. That was an instant hit.

Any how, back on point. My witch is very, very happy with her broom, broom, broom....... hot rod pellet stove. The Accentra is a good stove and would be perfectly capable of keeping any Wiccan warm and content. It's when they start swinging their brooms with an evil laugh that you had better look out!:eek:

Last edited:
it was a big leap of faith when changing to a new heating system.
Nah, she was just upset it put a dent in the bank account threatening her shoe shopping budget. Here's some irony for you. Now she has rearranged, or better yet, had me rearrange the living room to where when in "her spot" she props her feet right up in front of the P68 stove and where it blows hanging her feet out bare footing it all winter when she used to wear thick snuggly socks. I sit away on the opposite end of the sectional and glance at her feet occasionally thinking up some more one liners to use at Shoe Carnival and Famous Footwares (sp?) and such. I'll tell ya. It's a win-win!

Anyway, there are many happy pellet stove owners here of all makes models. We have our own little special cult going on here so welcome to the club Carl jr. Let us know what you decide. Many helpful people around to answer questions and concerns. Some like Chevy, some Ford, some Toyota, some Ram, and a couple of moped riders as well. Carl, If you ever get bored start a discussion on OAK's or not to install an OAK. Now who's tractor or truck is better? Any takers? Never mind, I was teasing and rattling cages............. getting the pre-season pump up game face going on.

Last edited:
sorry been cutting wood to feed outdoor wood boiler.she is a evil mistress when its gets cold in Michigan. i have not been able to hook up with seller yet. think i mite be stuck in the vortex of c-list run around.hope not, time well tell !

I know all about cutting wood. Lots of wood. Another main reason I bought a pellet stove and glad I did.

Evil Mistress???? I get that also. I'd put it as a very HUNGRY Mistress. A wood eating pig.

Good Luck and you have to be quick on good deals on CL. But there are plenty of nut jobs on there too.

I liked CL a lot when it was newer and straight forward. Now it seems to be some cyber fantasy land for internet freaks and con-artists. But there are still some sane and honest people and good deals to be had. Best of Luck with that. I found a good deal on my PC45 on the local Clowns List.

Status
Not open for further replies.