Window mount pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tjnamtiw said:
So why is the feeding problem any different than every Quad Sante Fe and Castile insert made? I polished, waxed, sprayed and blessed my hoppers and still only half of the pellets go down to the auger without a push. If that's the only problem, I can make a small pusher. I wonder if a vibrator mounted to the hopper and triggered once a minute would solve the problem. As long as it doesn't get all the sheet metal rattling.

That's a good idea, though I would probably have it run once an hour or half hour.

if you read the manual and look at the clearances
the exhaust has to be one foot above or four feet
below or to the side of a door or window
yet the exhast is IN a operational window
kind of interesting

ironpony said:
if you read the manual and look at the clearances
the exhaust has to be one foot above or four feet
below or to the side of a door or window
yet the exhast is IN a operational window
kind of interesting

I think the key words are 'operational window'. If you put the unit in place, you have effectively made it an inoperable window by blocking the opening and installing skirts around it. Right??

And yes to the suggestion of once an hour on the vibrator. That should be plenty. %-P

As far as inspectors or insurance companies, it is not a 'permanent' installation, so it doesn't matter.

170 lbs isn't bad, I have an old 17,000 BTU window a/c unit that easily weighs over 200lbs and I don' even use a window bracket.

My neighbor ordered one from the local True Value and paid $999. He's expecting it tuesday. I poked around about it at the store and the warehouse is out of stock until late next week. I guess they have been pretty popular.

AVIVIII said:
My neighbor ordered one from the local True Value and paid $999. He's expecting it tuesday. I poked around about it at the store and the warehouse is out of stock until late next week. I guess they have been pretty popular.

If you don't mind, I'd be curious to know what you and your neighbor thing about it once it's installed.

cncpro said:
I can't recall where but I found some disappointing reviews on this unit claiming that the pellet reservoir is poorly designed and the unit effectively runs out of pellets while the hopper is half-full requiring the user to reach in and push the pellets to the back of the hopper and re-start the unit. This has to be done through a small opening with lots of sharp edges.

Great idea but it seems like this stove could be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe version 2.0 will be better ?

Could be pellet related hopper issue, all brands have fed well in my harman until the brand I am currently burning.

AVIVIII said:
As far as inspectors or insurance companies, it is not a 'permanent' installation, so it doesn't matter.

170 lbs isn't bad, I have an old 17,000 BTU window a/c unit that easily weighs over 200lbs and I don' even use a window bracket.

Post a review of it if you can. Or at least your thoughts if your able to get over and see it in action. $999 seems to be the "standard" price in New Hampshire.

AVIVIII said:

I'm really surprised nobody has posted comments or questions about this new stove yet on the forum. Looking forward to what your neighbor thinks.

:question: We Need A Review :exclaim: This looks kool :coolsmile: Gotta hear from someone who owns one :)

I still don't get it. I couldn't vent my stove anywhere near a window. But this thing is stuck in a window and the window is half open so seals are not tight against the sills. But they get away with it?

I suspect that the installation fixes the operable window problem you are concerned about.

I just got one of these 6 days ago. So far it has performed with no problems what so ever. The hopper is not hard to fill. I use a large sccop to fill it so I dont have to lift the bag up. I put this in my basement family room. It was the only way I could add another stove without getting real creative with the vent pipe. I also have a Breckwell 23i insert in my LR fire place. So I'm not new to stoves.
Also no staining so far on the outside of my house.
Ebay for a grand delivered

joe91898 said:
I just got one of these 6 days ago. So far it has performed with no problems what so ever. The hopper is not hard to fill. I use a large sccop to fill it so I dont have to lift the bag up. I put this in my basement family room. It was the only way I could add another stove without getting real creative with the vent pipe. I also have a Breckwell 23i insert in my LR fire place. So I'm not new to stoves.
Also no staining so far on the outside of my house.
Ebay for a grand delivered
Keep us posted on how that window pellet stove works out for you.

Pics pics I want pics. How long was the install? How about inspections?

I dont have any pictures just yet. It goes in the window just like an a/c. I screwed a 2x3 just underneath the window (inside) on the wall to attach the unerside mounting brackets. It comes with foam to seal around the window. I also used DAP seal n peal removable weather strip. No inspection. I really don't see the need.

I bought one of these last week and had a friend help me put it in today. So far I am having some issues maybe someone here can help since USSC is closed.

First question is should the exhaust fan always be on(I assume so)? It goes off then immediately turns back on once in awhile(~every 30 seconds or so).

Second question when I turn the stove on the ON button blinks green and pellets flow. The burn pot fills and then the pellets ignite. The auger stops feeding pellets when it should but the light keeps blinking green it never goes solid. The room fan does come on when it reaches tempature. eventually a timeout is reached and it shuts down.
Thanks,
Will

Once you hit the on button the combustion blower should come on and stay on.

Is there any error code being shown? Frequently this is flashing lights usually in the heat range bar.

I don't have a manual to look at.

From the sounds of things it isn't maintaining a slight negative pressure in the fire box because the combustion blower is not staying on.

Why that would be happening is because of a bad blower, lose connections to the control board, a bad control board, etc ....

The manual doesn't show what any of the error lights mean.

When it doesn't start the "OFF" and "B" button will alternate flashing.

The exhaust fan is differently not staying on 100% and when it goes off the "Press Sw" will come on momentarily. I did get it to run at one point tonight but the "A" button was on solid after running for about 30 minutes.

I have this installed in a cinder block outbuilding I have and the temperature is ~11 degrees. I am assuming the electronics/motors don't mind running at that temperature since there is no other heat in that building.

I really need the manual.

However the stove needs that blower to remain on 100% of the time.

If it isn't on either it isn't getting power (wiring or control board issue), it is somehow jammed, or it is defective.

So you really need to check the wiring for something loose.

With the stove off, cold, and unplugged, I'd start looking over all of the wiring starting at the combustion blower and going towards the control board.

If you do not normally feel comfortable working on electrical systems get the dealer to fix that stove, it is under warranty.

Oh cool. Glad some people got one. I'm anxious for photo's too. Does the window frame get any heat off the unit??

Status
Not open for further replies.