“It Ain’t Furniture, It’s Heat!”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elkimmeg said:
If interested ,there a place down by Monroe Va that fabricates them I think it called Billy jo bubba salvage junk yard

Don't mind the lettering on the drums some are imported .but I can assure Billy and Bubba are residents of USA

for you math majors the drum holds about 7.25 cu ft of space now convert that into BTUs

Any way to block Big nate from seeing this post. I do not want to be responsible for giving him ideas

I understand that VC has a cast iron barrel model in the labs, I can't give the details in a public forum yet, that will have birds, bees and aardvark designs cast into it. It will have a cat that lights off at 27 degrees Fahrenheit and in order to expand their market and get the Canadian teachers' retirement accounts pumped up it is being certified to burn camel dung at 1.9 grams per hour.

They are in negotiations to build a plant in Abu Dhabi to produce it and the stove will be called the Vermont Castings Flatulent.

BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:
If interested ,there a place down by Monroe Va that fabricates them I think it called Billy jo bubba salvage junk yard

Don't mind the lettering on the drums some are imported .but I can assure Billy and Bubba are residents of USA

for you math majors the drum holds about 7.25 cu ft of space now convert that into BTUs

Any way to block Big nate from seeing this post. I do not want to be responsible for giving him ideas

I understand that VC has a cast iron barrel model in the labs, I can't give the details in a public forum yet, that will have birds, bees and aardvark designs cast into it. It will have a cat that lights off at 27 degrees Fahrenheit and in order to expand their market and get the Canadian teacher's retirement accounts pumped up it is being certified to burn camel dung at 1.9 grams per hour.

They are in negotiations to build a plant in Abu Dabi to produce it and the stove will be called the Vermont Castings Flatulant.

I want one! :lol:

Carefull now I knew Uncle sam paid guys to kick out orange painted ones out of choppers

you see how rumors get going just mistake one manufactures name and it gets skewed

It not VC But Volgelzang opening plants in Iraqu. Sheesh how did you get clasified info
Its part of the new campaign

elkimmeg said:
Carefull now I knew Uncle sam paid guys to kick out orange painted ones out of choppers

you see how rumors get going just mistake one manufactures name and it gets skewed

It not VC But Volgelzang opening plants in Iraqu. Sheesh how did you get clasified info
Its part of the new campaign

Never rolled Agent Orange out of a Chinook but a lot of 55's full of foo-gas (Napalm). You want instant heat, that'll do it. Not much left of the drum to build a stove out of though.

If you want to know how it looks when it blows, rent Apocalypse Now.

elkimmeg said:

Some of them home grown stoves work pretty good. Year ago I had a shop in Silverdale, Washington. Olympic Peninsula, had two seasons, the cold (30-50F) raining foggy season, and the 13 of July. The former owner did work for the Bremerton Naval Shipyard, Refitting Battleships, and Cruisers. One of his employees built stoves as a hobby. Dale used one for heat, and so did I. They made them from the boiler tubes taken from the ships. Stood them vertically, vents on the back, draft control about a foot from the bottom, and a 12 X12 door near the top. 6 inches of sand in the bottom, a double grid grate of 1/2 inch bar stock. Tubes were 3/8 or 1/2 in stock with a double layer cap (I would think a secondary burn chamber). The shop was a pole barn, two floors, bottom level had 14 fit ceilings. Chimney pipe was code, part single wall and double to triple through roof, straight shot.

That thing would take anything that could fit through the door. I'd call it a top loader. Two dial draft controls, one was set to stay partially open, you couldn't shut it completely, the other was a little higher and could be closed. It worked like a champ. Took about 45 minutes to get cranking, but being 20 feet away from a tidal basin and subject to extreme humidity, as the stove started to roar, the steam would rise from the OUTSIDE of the stove.

I would have that stove today except for the weight, about 300 lbs.

There were hundreds of his stoves all over the peninsula, well installed, but non-complying.

It was a great heater, and had a secondary benefit, it served as a night light. When it had a fire and was banked for the night it had a nice cherry glow when the lights were out. If it was cold and no fire it still worked, had a nice soft green glow.

Oh? Did I explain the shipyard refitted nuc. powered vessels????

The Ashley tincan woodstove was my first introduction to wood burning in a stove. It was a literal trial by fire. At times its red glow competed with the Alladin lamp for light output. But in what had to be the worlds leakiest cabin in New England, it kept me from freezing. Going to the '79 VC Resolute was like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes.

it is being certified to burn camel dung at 1.9 grams per hour.

Pretty soon inquiring minds will want to know if they can convert Dog chit to burn in one of those

BrotherBart said:
Yep, people that have never used one think they are funny. They are serious heaters and, just like with all wood stoves, if you use your head when running them they are as safe as anything out there. Safer in a way because you don't have to run'em like a blast furnace like the EPA stoves. With a barrel stove secondary burn means you touched the barrel.

Hi, BB... no - I wasn't thinking they were funny... I think the whole point of Elk's original posting was more geared to the fact that there may be people that are looking to buy a cheap heating unit, with not a lot of experience with wood burning, and may overlook some important safety factors. I've seen (and used) a lot of them, and yes - they do work fine if you know what you are doing. I'd probably do some things now which may be technically against code if I thought about what I was doing - so far I haven't.

I'll go so far as to say that most of the homemade stoves - though not "safe" by todays standards have probably saved more lives by keeping people from freezing than they have hurt people or their property. The point being... just don't even think about building/buying or using one of those older design stoves if you don't have a lot of real experience in how they work.

Harley the whole post was a spoof. Things BB and I have said back and forth for some time. All in good humor.

Even the title was a direct quote from BB I just added the picture Its ok to have fun once in a while I've been on the receiving end enough
But I will also dish it out Really if any one is offended ,Then close off the post. If you are entertained then let roll

LOL, Elk....
NO... really wasn't trying to make the post too serious... was just having fun here too!! Do you want to pick up some plastic 55 gal drums for the manufacturing facility?

elkimmeg said:
Harley the whole post was a spoof. Things BB and I have said back and forth for some time. All in good humor.

Even the title was a direct quote from BB I just added the picture Its ok to have fun once in a while I've been on the receiving end enough
But I will also dish it out Really if any one is offended ,Then close off the post. If you are entertained then let roll

I think it has been fun. Good to see things settle down from the tension around here around Christmas and New Years.

Guy across the street from me has the doublebarrel model in his basement, complete with the holes cut in his floor. He's in his mid 70's cuts and splits his own wood and refuses the offer of my other neighbor's gas splitter. That thing puts out so much heat that you can hardly breathe in his basement.

I think it has been fun. Good to see things settle down from the tension around here around Christmas and New Years.

I agree that's what was intended

Besides I kept my new year resolutions

elkimmeg said:
it is being certified to burn camel dung at 1.9 grams per hour.

Pretty soon inquiring minds will want to know if they can convert Dog chit to burn in one of those

Hey! I'm working on it! Give me some time! Hopefully I'll post results here in a few weeks. I'm also working on converting rabbit poop to use in pellet stoves.

-Kevin

With a barrel stove secondary burn means you touched the barrel
Hehehe. and that smells worse than burning camel dung!

It was a great heater, and had a secondary benefit, it served as a night light. When it had a fire and was banked for the night it had a nice cherry glow when the lights were out. If it was cold and no fire it still worked, had a nice soft green glow.
Better than a glad light show! No more stepping on the cat!

The Ashley tincan woodstove was my first introduction to wood burning in a stove. It was a literal trial by fire. At times its red glow competed with the Alladin lamp for light output.
And we wondered why all those guys were ringing the doorbell all night, =everyone in unison
whorehouse red!

Thanks for the post, we neened it, ROFLMAO!

mtarbert said:
I think mine was made by a company named Stoltz...anyone hear of them ?

Yep thought I saw them before, still got two Stoltz mauls I mail ordered back in the 80s. I just knocked the point of the small one straight this week with a hammer and touched it to the grinder to smooth it up. That was the first sharpening of that beauty in decades. The big one sits there a reminder of younger days.

UncleRich said:

Mabe it could burn anything. Just skip the wood shove in some chunks of spent fuel rods and get out a lead shield as a radiator call it the "Homer Sampson radiant heater". Talk about long burn time.

UncleRich said:
elkimmeg said:

Some of them home grown stoves work pretty good. Year ago I had a shop in Silverdale, Washington. Olympic Peninsula, had two seasons, the cold (30-50F) raining foggy season, and the 13 of July. The former owner did work for the Bremerton Naval Shipyard, Refitting Battleships, and Cruisers. One of his employees built stoves as a hobby. Dale used one for heat, and so did I. They made them from the boiler tubes taken from the ships. Stood them vertically, vents on the back, draft control about a foot from the bottom, and a 12 X12 door near the top. 6 inches of sand in the bottom, a double grid grate of 1/2 inch bar stock. Tubes were 3/8 or 1/2 in stock with a double layer cap (I would think a secondary burn chamber). The shop was a pole barn, two floors, bottom level had 14 fit ceilings. Chimney pipe was code, part single wall and double to triple through roof, straight shot.

That thing would take anything that could fit through the door. I'd call it a top loader. Two dial draft controls, one was set to stay partially open, you couldn't shut it completely, the other was a little higher and could be closed. It worked like a champ. Took about 45 minutes to get cranking, but being 20 feet away from a tidal basin and subject to extreme humidity, as the stove started to roar, the steam would rise from the OUTSIDE of the stove.

I would have that stove today except for the weight, about 300 lbs.

There were hundreds of his stoves all over the peninsula, well installed, but non-complying.

Sounds like just the thing for Hogwildz....

Gooserider

BB we need to start some other post like this like a calming effect, I missed what ever happened over the weekend here. But guessing things got heated and taken too far.

I also guess a lot got deleted, as I can not find what set things off

I don't know how I missed all the fun, watching too much Football and painting rooms, then only following prior threads I posted in.

Was it PE vs the rest of the stove world ? I glad I watched the football. 4 good games..

I have to mention something about a heart product. Burned my stoves ang got it up to 76 degrees while watching the games. Only cold rain 35 degrees for days here, even now
I went out to shake the thermo o see if it was broken.

Was it the spelling police cracked down? Nah I would have benn the first one to be trageted

LOL I just love the secondary burn comment! It reminds me of the time our blacksmith was hot shoeing on of our horses, and he had the shoe red hot and was "adjusting" it on the anvil, and my friend walked over and touched the shoe just as it stopped glowing red! The blacksmith just looked up at him and said "was that hot?" and my friend said without any hesitation "nope, it just doesn't take long to touch a shoe!" We still laugh about that, and it's been about 20 years....

Bondo©

It's important to laugh at times and not take everything to seriously!!

Status
Not open for further replies.