1 Flue 2 Openings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JakeSmells

Jul 10, 2021
We just moved into a new home, a raised ranch. The House has 2 - 8 inch openings into a single chimney (O.D. 13x9) one in the basement and one on the first floor. The lower opening is in a child's bedroom so we have no plans to use it. The upstairs opening is in the living room where we would like to add in a wood stove, both openings are currently covered. I visually inspected the chimney from the roof and it looks to be in good shape. Can I add a stove in to the living room directly connected to the chimney or do I need to have a liner put in?

Is the chimney currently tile-lined? Are both areas feeding into one flue in the chimney? If so, it will definitely require a proper insulated liner, after a full and thorough cleaning.

Reactions: EbS-P
Is the chimney currently tile-lined? Are both areas feeding into one flue in the chimney? If so, it will definitely require a proper insulated liner, after a full and thorough cleaning.
Yes it is tile lined. And yes they both feed the same flue. The set up is something like
l l
l l
lol
l l
l l
lol
There hasn't been anything hooked up for a while. The chimney is very clean but lacks a cap. I want to figure out the best venting option before buying a cap to make sure it is correct

Insulated liner and then a cap for the liner. Are you wanting to cap it now before you do any work/install?

Insulated liner and then a cap for the liner. Are you wanting to cap it now before you do any work/install?

There is no cap at all so want to get something on it to protect it from the elements. If I have to line it maybe best option for temp solution is just a tarp over the top.

Why can't I run a flexible SS liner in the chimney?

Why can't I run a flexible SS liner in the chimney?
You can if you can verify it meets code— 2” air gap from masonry/brick to combustibles. If you have access to attic look there at roof and floor penetrations. Very few chimneys do. Mine does not. And and adding insulation blanket isn’t too expensive.

Rockford Chimney Supply Chimney Liner Insulation Blanket Kit, 3 to 6 Inch Diameter x 25 Feet Amazon product ASIN B00RH4UWLO

I bet you can come up with a better looking temp cap than a tarp. Glue screw down a piece of plywood or plastic tote lid.

You can if you can verify it meets code— 2” air gap from masonry/brick to combustibles. If you have access to attic look there at roof and floor penetrations. Very few chimneys do. Mine does not. And and adding insulation blanket isn’t too expensive.

Rockford Chimney Supply Chimney Liner Insulation Blanket Kit, 3 to 6 Inch Diameter x 25 Feet Amazon product ASIN B00RH4UWLO

Could that bottom opening just be the clean out? I’ve seen them in basements before.

Yes it is tile lined. And yes they both feed the same flue. The set up is something like
l l
l l
lol
l l
l l
lol
There hasn't been anything hooked up for a while. The chimney is very clean but lacks a cap. I want to figure out the best venting option before buying a cap to make sure it is correct
Ok, that's what I thought. It's illegal to have more than one solid fuel appliance on a flue. Each one needs a dedicated flue. For safest operation, the flue should be thoroughly cleaned and then an insulated 6" liner installed to the thimble. Is the current 8" hole on the exposed chimney face or does it go through a wall to reach the chimney? Pictures can help us see what is existing. Also, what ID is the tile chimney liner?

Last edited: