14 outside & 68 inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
Not to brag ... but the old VC 2220 Reliance set at about 9:00 o;clock (range is about 7:30 being lowest to 4:30 being highest, 270 degrees turn) on the temp control, 14 degrees outside now (been in the 20s all day until it cooled off after dark), 68 in the house. It's after 2:40AM. House is a two story 28x40 log home we built with the upstairs being a loft area, and a 28x18 master bedroom with bath, this loft is 16x16 floor with the rest open to the living room below, call it 18x12 not including stairs. First floor is full 28x40 . Basement is in the ground on three sides, has an enclosed patio blocking the forth side from the wind. There is a ceiling fan running slow in the living room, but there is no other heat going. The pellet stove is in the living room corner.

Yeah, on second thought, I aimed to brag as I am really pleased.

I hope you all are warm and having a Very Merry Christmas too!

70 here with a 58% RH. I like keeping the RH above 50% constantly. The higher above 50% the RH is, the warmer you 'feel' and the less static electricity you make.

Reactions: tbear853
70 here with a 58% RH. I like keeping the RH above 50% constantly. The higher above 50% the RH is, the warmer you 'feel' and the less static electricity you make.
72 inside here, stove going BUT a RH of 35. I guess in general it’s dryer up here in Vermont, but during the winter I never get the house RH much higher than 40+. Years ago I had a humidifier but it made a mess and was harder to clean than the stove. How do you keep yours above 50.
Bill

72 inside here, stove going BUT a RH of 35. I guess in general it’s dryer up here in Vermont, but during the winter I never get the house RH much higher than 40+. Years ago I had a humidifier but it made a mess and was harder to clean than the stove. How do you keep yours above 50.
Bill
Grandma used to keep a pot with water in it on the stove, not boiling hot, just simmering, used a rack underneath to keep it from getting hot enough to boil. My pellet stove's top doesn't get hot enough to use the rack under the pot like on a woodstove's single layer steel with no air chamber.

I like when the humidity goes down in the winter. It’s about 40% in here now. I can breathe easier when the air is dry. I have a dehumidifier at 40-50% in the basement and it’s a nice retreat in the summer.

Bill
35%RH is like being in the desert. Your wood furniture dries out so does your nose and you become a static electricity generation station...lol Touching your spouse can be an 'electrifying experience'....lol

I use a Honeywell Quiet Care evaporative humidifier with twin water tanks, each hold about 2 gallons and the element is replaceable. I use bottled water in it, our tap water is loaded with minerals and it destroys the element pretty quick. On bottled water, the element lasts a good month. Elements are like 5 bucks each. Big expense is the bottled water. My wife buys them in 2.5 gallon plastic jugs at the grocery and we go through about 15 -20 gallons a week. It's an expense but having the RH up makes it easier for us to exist and it 'feels' warmer too. When it's real dry, you feel cold at 70 degrees. 70 for us is warm.

I like it, have had it a couple years and buy the elements when on sale at Wally World or Menards. Cleaning is a snap. Pull the tanks, pull the fan section, toss the element and rinse the pan in the bathtub, reassemble with a new element, put the cover and tanks back on and it's good to go for another month.

Has a humidistat built in too.

I like at least 50%RH or more, all the time.

It sits adjacent to the stove, Not in the direct air flow but off to the side.

I like when the humidity goes down in the winter. It’s about 40% in here now. I can breathe easier when the air is dry. I have a dehumidifier at 40-50% in the basement and it’s a nice retreat in the summer.
I don't. We have central air which does the same thing as a dehumidifier.

hmmm i must be broken. I try to keep the RH below 50% usually im happy around the 35-40 mark... I have major arthritis in my knees and down in that area i find my knees do not hurt anywhere near as bad. Anything above that and the pain increases.

• Wow
hmmm i must be broken. I try to keep the RH below 50% usually im happy around the 35-40 mark... I have major arthritis in my knees and down in that area i find my knees do not hurt anywhere near as bad. Anything above that and the pain increases.
2 Ibuprofen for me in the morning does it. Being old has it's mechanical drawbacks.....

I prefer the no static no dried out furniture and no dried out noses over the latter. With a large indoor cat population, the no static electricity thing is a plus here. Hate those blue sparks.... :)

• Haha
2 Ibuprofen for me in the morning does it. Being old has it's mechanical drawbacks.....

I prefer the no static no dried out furniture and no dried out noses over the latter. With a large indoor cat population, the no static electricity thing is a plus here. Hate those blue sparks.... :)

Can’t breathe with furry animals either especially cats. My gf said her vacuum wasn’t working so I cleaned it out and I discovered whoever gave it to her had cats. I had to get a primatene mist inhaler. Thankfully they started making them again.

I could tell you a story about cats and how I used to be allergic to cat fur, but I won't. Needless to say, the felines came along with the marriage and having been married 34 years, I'm over the allergic reaction long ago. Just so long as they don't get in my face, I'm good and there are a couple that 'wuv' me. The rest I can take or leave.

Worst part about cats is when the puke on the floor and you step in it in your sock feet. I've learned to look down when walking around and I don't clean it up either. My wife does, her cats, not mine. I'm a dog person. Have a coon hound and she likes cats. They sleep on her all the time. They groom her, swat her tail, she don't care so long as they stay away from her personal space. The personal space is off limits and she will snap at them.

We have quite the menagerie here, coon hound and 10 felines in the house and at least another 10 outside though the outside ones do perform a task, they keep the mice out of my barns and out of my equipment though I do get cat tracks on the tractor hoods and cat hair on the seats because they sleep on the tractor seats.

All sport models too and all just appeared here. I believe we have a sign out by the road in cat language that says, 'all strays welcome, good food inside'. Our vet bills get stupid at times. Between the cattle and the pets, sometimes it's a big nut. Least we can eat the steers. Not so with the cats.... :)

• Haha
I grew up with animals but I never really liked dogs. Then I had a cat in the old house. He was fun. He would get under my feet when I was playing music so I would pop a bass string and make him jump. He had this blanket that was basically his girlfriend. He would always sleep at my feet every night.

He would eat his food too fast and do the same every day. I called them cat piles. Let them dry and clean them up. But the worst was one time I put my feet down under the covers and encountered something cold and chunky.

Then my wife at the time started loading up the little 1050 sq ft house with animals and every day it was like coming home to a pet store. And that’s when I became allergic. I lived off meds and inhalers and still could hardly breathe. During that time my cat got loose and probably died. Once she split and the remaining animals were out, I didn’t need meds anymore, I felt great. But any time I’m around cats or furry creatures I can’t handle it. So it’s for the best anyway. No more animals. More responsibility and expense than I want anyway. And the house and appliances including the pellet stove stay cleaner.

Reactions: Ssyko