18” Vermont Iron Works Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What size is it? Looks like a 24”, but hard to tell from the pictures.

Do you have any better pictures of the inside?

Reactions: sinai
I deal with more elms a year than almost anyone right now. And its a very dependent on where you live.

They go for much more right around me, because they were made 45 mins from here, so there is a huge amount if people who want them.

Your stove, In this condition, if the baffle is in perfect shape, is around $500-750. But again, thats here in Vermont/NH. Im not sure what it would go for in TX.

Reactions: sinai
I’m still looking for one, but Vermont is closer than Elpaso.

I don’t need a stove in perfect condition as I willing to rebuild. Buying t will be a gift to my wife. Buying is an option, but I’m willing to trade as well.

With the right seller I would not worry about shipping it. If you are not familiar with Fastenals shipping service it works well and lot less hassle than LTL shipping. The seller would take the legs off and strap it on a pallet, drops it at the nearest Fastenal outlet and then several days later you get a call from the local Fastenal to pick it up . As long as the seller did a good job fastening it down so it does not go rolling off the pallet, it should make it fine as the body is welded steel pipe (not cast iron).

With the right seller I would not worry about shipping it. If you are not familiar with Fastenals shipping service it works well and lot less hassle than LTL shipping. The seller would take the legs off and strap it on a pallet, drops it at the nearest Fastenal outlet and then several days later you get a call from the local Fastenal to pick it up . As long as the seller did a good job fastening it down so it does not go rolling off the pallet, it should make it fine as the body is welded steel pipe (not cast iron).
Ideally, you build a wooden cradle on a pallet to transport it, then you leave the legs on. Or ship it disassembled.

The problem with taking the legs off and strapping the bottom to a pallet, is if the trucker hits a good enough bump, you can absolutely crack that front ring, or even the back. Those are cast iron.

And Fastenal ltl service has been back and forth from being on hold to being cancelled. Plus they split the country in half depending on where you and the buyer are, they may not even ship it.

Intuiship is your best bet currently for shipping stoves.

Reactions: Hoytman
I’d be happy to just find some of the cast parts. A front and back assembly and the legs would be great, if nothing else.

I deal with more elms a year than almost anyone right now. And its a very dependent on where you live.

They go for much more right around me, because they were made 45 mins from here, so there is a huge amount if people who want them.

Your stove, In this condition, if the baffle is in perfect shape, is around $500-750. But again, thats here in Vermont/NH. Im not sure what it would go for in TX.
thank you

I’d be happy to just find some of the cast parts. A front and back assembly and the legs would be great, if nothing else.
Just put one on classifieds. Check it out and give me a call/text if interested. 859 509-7666

Last edited by a moderator:
I need parts for my non-cat Elm. I need the factory elbow pipe adapter and baffle. I was in touch with Steve through Facebook a few years ago but he didn’t have any. If anyone knows of any I’d appreciate it.

I need parts for my non-cat Elm. I need the factory elbow pipe adapter and baffle. I was in touch with Steve through Facebook a few years ago but he didn’t have any. If anyone knows of any I’d appreciate it.
For greater coverage, put the request in the Classifieds forum here too.

Sold for more than the asking price according to a text he sent me a week ago tomorrow. He was kind enough to tell me it had sold after I initially spoke to him.

He had said he wasn’t in a hurry to sell, but also needed/wanted money for Christmas, and I understood. As such I told him I wanted the stove but wouldn’t ask him to hold it because if he needed money I didn’t want to keep him from selling it before Christmas. I wanted to keep my money for Christmas time as well plus didn’t have it all at the moment and said I would be back in touch after Christmas. I thought I had a stove of my own sold, but the guy backed out.

My plans was to buy it after Christmas for a full restoration project for my son and I and as a gift for my wife. Would likely have never been burned again, or sold. Would have been passed down to my son.

Some may have ask him to hold it with no money. He even offered, but I won’t do that to a guy whether or not it’s Christmas time, good times, or bad. Times are tough for lots of folks. I’m not one to be taken advantage of and I treat people the same.

Good for him for getting more than he was asking. Good for him for getting back in touch with me to tell me it had sold. He didn’t have to even do that. I hated to see him sell it before I could look at it, but that’s how it goes when you’re honest with folks. He was honest with me as far as I could tell, so he’ll get no complaints from me.

If anyone else finds one or has one for sale and looking to sell it (to me), now you know my intentions with it. My son is interested in these stoves and projects for me and him help keep him on the right path in life making memories…at least this far at 16.

Wow these things are really climbing in value.

Wow these things are really climbing in value.

What someone wants and what they get are different things, asking $4K for a restored elm is absurd and it will be sitting for a while. Nice stoves but not that nice.

What someone wants and what they get are different things, asking $4K for a restored elm is absurd and it will be sitting for a while. Nice stoves but not that nice.
Funny you should say that. This is my work. People reguarly pay me those prices to have me personally restore their elms. I restore more Elms than anybody else, and I do a better job than anybody else.

They have a cult following in New England and will absolutly bring top dollar, if they came from a reputable shop, such as mine, which is known to do the highest quaility Elm restorations.

His problem is that he paid to get the stove done, brought it back down to NJ, and is trying to flip
It there, where the market is almost non exsistent that far out of New England, up here in Vermont/NH/Mass, Elms bring this kind of money all day, esp a 36”.

Plus this is a 36” nickel elm, and you do not just find 36”s everywhere. Maybe 1 out of every 20 I do or find is a 36”. More often than not people will pay me to convery their smaller elm to a 36” for them if they need it that big.

You can absolulty find restored ones for cheaper done by the “puff and polish” backyard restoration people. But who wants to pay that kinda money to someone who doesnt do this for a living and have a reputaion and a huge portfolio online to see all the Elms they have done.

So the short answer to your response, is I deal with Quaility, and you are looking for value. Huge difference and know your worth. If you get a value piece of someone, odds are they cut tons of corners and have no expierence in what they are doing

“It isn’t bragging if you can back it up.” - Dizzy Dean

“The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance.” -Albert Einstein