1977 VC Vigilant with Catalytic....hows this work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rustysfarm

Dec 29, 2017
newengland
Hi all,

Ive been reading the Hearth forums for a long time, but just joinex up today after installing a 1977 vigilant in my fireplace that came with a catalytic unit on the back. The stove is in exellent condition and seems like it was hardly ever used. My questions are: Im assuming that this is a vermont castings catalytic amd not some off brand thing, were these made per each model of stove, or will this fit a Defiant as well? How do I know if it is lit? im fairly certain Ive not got it to light, because the smoke from the chimney doesnt seem to clear up when I switch over. Speaking of lighting it, should I still run the stove with the top tamper (the one that redirdcts the flame/smoke to the rear chamber) or run it open (thought the top). what girddle or stovepipe temp should I be at before switching? Are aftermarket honeycombs available? Thanks in advance, any tips or answers are very much appreciated!

Oh no, you have one of those Energy Extenders? Theywere only made for a few years and were like a retrofit thing made by V.C. in hopes of getting the old stoves to conform to the new E.P.A.rules at the time without completely redesigning their entire product line. Didn't work, s guess what? Yeah, they redesigned their entire product line.

I'd just get rid o fit, it was a failure hen and surely is no better now. Run the stove at the proper temp., and you'll get decent performance with good dry wood without a catalytic element. Not as efficient as modern stoves, but a good workhorse that should remain economical for years to come. SURELY less to maintain than a comparable new stove would be to purchase and install.