1st post, Help me spend my money. Looking for replacement wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Realdealoo8

Jan 18, 2018
Buffalo NY
Good morning, long time reader here, with a issue I don't see come up. I have a 3000+ sq ft house with an open floor plan including cathedral ceilings in the living room that continue to the second floor hallways. House was built in 1992 and currently has a Marco (builder series) wood burning fireplace located in a bump out in the living room exterior wall. We love using it and the little heat it does provide when the blower is on, however it eats wood with next to no real heat being provided and a slim burn time.

I am thinking about replacing it with a new unit, that would provide additional heat output and efficiency. I am having problems finding a replacement unit that would fit the bill and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I do not currently have a masonry fireplace so inserts are out. My hearth design has the current fireplace 6 inches above the room floor and I like that and would like to keep it this way. I am interested in a catalytic converter unit however I could not find any listed for a wood fireplace specifically. Any ideas? I will see if I can post a picture of my current setup soon. Thank you.
ETA: I am looking for something with a sealing door, I do not need the bifold doors and screens like I now have

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome replies so far thank you! I really like the fireplace xtrordinair just can’t find any reviews. One YouTube video they posted has one comment and it’s negative.

Attachments

• A8DFFF06-692D-4480-A298-78727D464414.jpeg
    A8DFFF06-692D-4480-A298-78727D464414.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 77
Awesome replies so far thank you! I really like the fireplace xtrordinair just can’t find any reviews. One YouTube video they posted has one comment and it’s negative.
Yes, that's the problem with a small sampling. If something is working great people rarely sing praise, but it they have a problem they get noisy. Folks tend to complain more than compliment.

FPX is made by Travis, the same company making Lopi and Avalons. If you search on Fireplace Xtrordinair in this forum you will find several more postings about this brand. There's also several reviews in the Stove Reviews section.

Last edited:

My mother in law has that FPX and when it's rocking it'll roast you outta the room. I mean, I sometimes feel like a rotisserie chicken rotating on a spit if I get within 50 feet of that beast.

Powerful blower, too.

FPX, quiet remote fan that you can't even hear compared to those squirrel cages, and like said it's a flame thrower for heat. Not a free standing, but next best!!!