1st scroung of the year!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
Well I picked up a crazy over the rails truckload of dry ash today. It was actually pretty lite for a hardwood. I measured it 10.5 feet by 4 feet on average. That comes to about a face cord and a half...once split. I thought it was closer to half a cord but what the hey. Total cost...1 mile worth of gas and my time. Its only a ranger but it was 2 ft over the rails plus. Best part is this was a long dead tree so it is darn near dry already. Life is good...

Congratulations. Go for more! Think like Lombardy....always go forward!

OK hers the pic... Sorry, pic from the window, the damn tree got in the way :cheese:

Attachments

• Pile of wood.jpg
    Pile of wood.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 424
[jealousy] It pisses me off to no end how you guys back east get such nice straight rounds of wood without knots/crotches from scrounges. Out my way you pay for wood that doesn't look that good/split that nicely [/jealousy}

Good score! Now go find some more.

Was busy stacking a cord of oak and ash that I got a while ago and split. That score is but a small pile in the heap. It will definitely give off some btus...thanks...

What kind of ash is that. It looks like walnut?

It was dark in the middle and is fading fast...I believe ash...not sure which. I just burn it :cheese:

I just scored some White Ash from my buddy's back yard. Two decent sized trees come down over the winter. I never burned ash before, but I hear that it's no fun to split with a maul.

Ash is extremely easy to split.

Elm is difficult. Ash is not too bad, it does kinda twist as it grows but with a splitter it is easy

myzamboni said:
[jealousy] It pisses me off to no end how you guys back east get such nice straight rounds of wood without knots/crotches from scrounges. Out my way you pay for wood that doesn't look that good/split that nicely [/jealousy}

Good score! Now go find some more.

Seriously. I just got some dogwood, (my second favorite) but of course it's all irregular and the bottom of the trunk is rotten. Even the douglas fir I got this year was knotty as I've ever seen. BTU's in, BTU's out...

Hey, burn it if you got it, the rest of you will just be cold ;-)

Congrats, I too got my first scrounge of the year today. So far I downed 6 Maples and a good sized Cherry. Sorry guys no pics yet. I probably got another 6 cherry, 3 oak and 12 maples to down. I can't wait to get my truck back so I can start hauling some of this wood. Best part, it's only a mile from the house!! The guy needs to put in a new septic(really old house) so I drop the trees and he's piling them up with his John Deere. Hope to have them all down this weekend and ready to load when the truck comes back from the shop.

Bad for the septic, GREAT for the wood! I learned that when you get a chance bust your tail cause it will not last long! Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.