1st season over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
Shut down the boiler today. Exactly 6 month and 9.5 cords. Very pleased with the system and how well it worked. Averaged $72 a month on electric with the hot water being produced by the boiler.

Not a huge savings with gas cheap but, probably save $1600 or so on heating. It was a very mild year so I figure 12-15 cords would be closer to normal.

That seems like quite a bit of wood?

It's different for everyone of course, but here I am willing to spend some $$ on using other efficient heat sources at certain times to cut down significantly on the amount of wood needed each year. Shoulder season being the main times for that. Have it down to less than 3 cords a year using mini-splits intermittently. Shoulder seasons can use a lot of wood without really realizing how much. If I had NG heat I would definitely be using that more to cut way back on wood needed - finding each year more other things I'd rather be doing with my time than getting wood ready to burn.

Reactions: sloeffle
That seems like quite a bit of wood?

It's different for everyone of course, but here I am willing to spend some $$ on using other efficient heat sources at certain times to cut down significantly on the amount of wood needed each year. Shoulder season being the main times for that. Have it down to less than 3 cords a year using mini-splits intermittently. Shoulder seasons can use a lot of wood without really realizing how much. If I had NG heat I would definitely be using that more to cut way back on wood needed - finding each year more other things I'd rather be doing with my time than getting wood ready to burn.
That was heat for three buildings and all domestic hot water for 6 months. It’s a MP series coal/wood burner so it’s a little more efficient than a straight conventional. I burned 4 cords a year when I had a burner in the basement.

I haven't kept real close track but I think I burned about 7 or 8 cords this winter. Heating my house, rental cabin, office building and shop occasionally when I'm working in it. And domestic water for 8 people total who don't skimp.
I've heated with nothing but wood for 13 winters. Can't imagine what electric would have cost.

Reactions: sloeffle
I didn't keep very good track this last year on the wood I burned I normally go threw 10-15 cord of locust and hedge mix a year as I run year around with domestic. That also heats my shop in the winter. We had a fairly mild winter here to. I was down May first to Aug first to get my repairs made in my Garn last year. As I am getting older and my two guys that help with my firewood are getting older and propane has been cheap the last couple years maybe I should shut down the Garn and burn a little propane to heat domestic and heat the house during the shoulder season. The bad thing is I have a bunch of hedge to cut in a pasture to make it a more productive pasture.

Like others, I shut down my wood furnace in mid May. I probably burned 9-10 cords from September to May. This was my first year using an outdoor furnace and could probably use less wood once I learn the tricks of the trade. During the colder months, I doubt it would change much as I filled it up before I left work in the morning (5:00 AM) and filled it up again when I got home (5:00 PM). It was always burnt down to coals when I went to fill.

I haven't kept real close track but I think I burned about 7 or 8 cords this winter. Heating my house, rental cabin, office building and shop occasionally when I'm working in it. And domestic water for 8 people total who don't skimp.
I've heated with nothing but wood for 13 winters. Can't imagine what electric would have cost.
I thought maybe I recognized your title. I believe I called you earlier this winter to work on my stove-install a secondary thermostat for the stove. Your service (tech that you sent) was great and I really appreciate you getting me back up and running properly.