20 rounds- chainsaw down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
north of 60 said:
bogydave said:
I watch the chips coming out. If chips, usually sharp enough. If sawdust, it need sharpened.
If you hit a rock, yea it needs sharpened.

N-60
Great picture. Love the wood chips, saw is sharp ;)
How you get the log to that location. Tractor?

I was the tractor, end over end off of my trailer in 8ft lengths. Possibly why I have a synthetic disc now in my lower back.
You know, strong like bull,smart like tractor. :red:
LOL
Cheers.

Yea, I know.
In trying to stop being stupid. Nice thing now, when I get close to my max, a shooting pain knocks me to the ground & stops me in my tracks.
Then I'm done for the day (sometimes 2 or 3). I try to not get near that "max load limit" any more. Max ain't near what it used to be either. :)
I'm learning to use levers, pulleys, winches, ramps & of course "vertical splitting" :)
Hard to change though, at one time I was indestructible. :lol:

Ain't that the truth. :-S http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TLMvhIcZt-DCM

maxed_out said:
+1 for me on constrictors reply right above. I'd add I have a really good maxx sharpener that makes that process very easy. so a dull chain is no big deal. before I cut for long periods I make sure I have a couple of fresh sharpened chains ready just in case.

Stay away from the rocks, sand and dirt and your chains will stay sharp longer. Buy good chains (theres threads on chains in hearth.com) again put things in your favor. I like stihl chains- they just seem to hold an edge better/longer for me. Other folks swear by other chains and thats fine too.

Local Husqvarna shop where I buy my stuff has Husqvarna chains for sale . . . but they say they like the Stihl chains better as they stay sharp longer.

Backwoods said:
Earlier today I started cutting up a tree that has been down for years, I left the parts that were on the ground and only took the rest that were sitting on boulders. I was able to get quite a bit, but may have dulled the chain on my chainsaw scrapping it against the boulder unknowingly. How long do your chains typically last until they need sharpening?
2011-11-27124831.jpg

No one can make a chain last longer than the wood your cutting. Kinda a run what you brung kinda thing and let the chips fall where they may. I have done one cut and the chain shot and I have done 100's and the chain still pretty good.

smokinjay said:
No one can make a chain last longer than the wood your cutting. Kinda a run what you brung kinda thing and let the chips fall where they may. I have done one cut and the chain shot and I have done 100's and the chain still pretty good.

Yup. I once smoked a brand new bar and chain trying to make a single rip cut down the center of a 6' long log of mountain mahogany. Anybody ever cut that stuff would know it's one of the densest woods in North America, and full of silica. Bark is full of desert sand as well. Makes black locust seems like styrofoam to cut. I still have a piece of that log some 25 years later. I found it while packing up my wood stash for the big move. It is the leftover part that I never made it through, and it still has a saw kerf in the end of it where I crosscut it above the point that the blade (sorry CTYank) gave out.

I touch up the chain every second fill-up. My record for shortest time for a new chain was several years ago when I did my only scrounge. I didn't have any trees that died in a year and there was a construction site six miles from here wanting the cleared trees gone. Huge log stack. I picked up a new twenty buck chain on the way and put it on the 405+ at the site. First cut through the closest log on the pile and I found that chunk of concrete in the pile covered by the log. Chain lasted approximately twenty seconds after the saw was warmed up.

I dropped off the chain at sternners to get sharpened and bought another while I was there. I'm going to try and spend a half day t :vampire: his weekend to continue to stock up for next year. Lots to do when you buy a stove for the first time. :snake:

I sharpened a chain a few days ago, right before helping my neighbor drop, limb, and buck some trees. Limbed and bucked a ~ 40' hemlock, dropped two red maple, and dropped a second hemlock. Chain needed to be sharpened after that. I'm not the best at sharpening chains, but I can usually cut for an hour or so, depending on what I'm cutting before I need to change chains. I have a four chain rotation - if I plan to cut a lot in one day, I just keep changing chains, than sharpen each chain before heading out again. Four hours cutting in one day is more than enough for me. Cheers!

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

Yup. I once smoked a brand new bar and chain trying to make a single rip cut down the center of a 6' long log of mountain mahogany. Anybody ever cut that stuff would know it's one of the densest woods in North America, and full of silica. Bark is full of desert sand as well. Makes black locust seems like styrofoam to cut. I still have a piece of that log some 25 years later. I found it while packing up my wood stash for the big move. It is the leftover part that I never made it through, and it still has a saw kerf in the end of it where I crosscut it above the point that the blade (sorry CTYank) gave out.

You been using one of those Wright saws "above their raising" eh? How's it recipping for ya? They make carbide-tooth blades for Wrights?

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods said:
How long do your chains typically last until they need sharpening?
I can buck up 6 cord (real, not face) of clean wood on a single filing.

Impressive! At that rate since I burn less than 6 cord / year I bet one chain would last me a long time! Perhaps most the rest of my life. Hard to amagine. I dont think I have ever got a full cord one a single sharpening.

LLigetfa said:
north of 60 said:
This is a tank and a 1/2 and one touch up after the first tank on a load of pine. 35 minutes tops for the 30yr old 266.
I didn't realize this was show-and-tell...

Here's one filing on clean Winter cut Ash.

100_0301.JPG

Man...Your making us all look bad! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.