2014-15 state of fuel costs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Some interesting topics floating around the net dealing with energy.

NG is supposed to rise 10-20% and has already seen a large rise this year.
electric is going up about 5%
oil seems to be pretty steady ~100 bbl these days, but that can swing in a moment
solar is losing subsidies making it less affordable than it already wasn't
coal is being banned by hippies and used less and less

Wood, is still wood. It still costs the same. Where you may pay more for it is in it's production (pellets) and in shipping (delivery/etc) because of other cost changes (labor, oil, dollar value vs Canada for import pellets, etc)

I think it's pretty neat to think about how we all tend to be on the most stable product. And it's because it's renewable that market swings and demands are pretty leveled out at this point.

Main reason I started heating with wood is that I feel I have much more control over the cost than any other means. I knew I would be saving $$ after the initial investment costs were recovered, I just never anticipated enjoying it as much as I do!

Reactions: Ashful
2014-15?

How about 2013-14?

There are a lot of people who are going to be seriously hurting trying to pay this winters heating bills once it finally gets over. I shudder thinking of the implications if we were burning oil instead of wood, and while far from rich we are not in the low or fixed income range of a lot less fortunate. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't remember seeing a winter this brutal here before - or certainly not this early. This past month has been brutal. I'm considering myself lucky that I only have to be concerned with replenishing my next years wood supply more than I thought I would have to.

Reactions: Ashful
On Long Island we mostly have Oil Heat but many are getting into wood and pellet heat. Some areas have NG. The bottom like is around here we have constantly rising heating costs for Oil, NG and Electric. The good news is there seems to be plenty of wood around and after Sandy we will be 2 years into mountains of well seasoned wood so I think good wood will be plentiful and maybe if we are lucky cheaper than this year. I was able to pickup a couple truckloads of cut rounds this past fall so I have a cord in the wings for next year hopefully. I do grab up oak skids here and there as well. The skid wood serves and my kindling for the most part.

The Media hypes up the cold weather thing and that is a great excuse for the fat cats in the oil and NG industries to jack up prices.

I have been supplementing cordwood with Envi 8's so my house is nice and toasty despite low single digit tempertures.

This is my first season with my fireplace insert. I really hope to cut back on my $4,800 a year oil bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.