2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
Locked previous thread. Please use this one for the rest of this year.

Reactions: sequoia
52 pages get to be too much. You can always search the old thread.

I just installed the blower kit, here are a few picks with the old setup and temps image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice blue flames tonight, looks like an alky burner;)

Nice setup Kenny. It's 15 degrees out with a 25 mph breeze. Mid 70's in here.....

image.jpg Success on the blower, upstairs temps climbing, outside temps falling and it's pretty windy out there, gusts maybe 20 mph or so... The only weird thing I'm noticing is a slightly higher stack temps, maybe because the fan isn't blowing at it anymore? Still burning my famous cherry ash combo, as soon as the bin inside is empty it's oak time

Well I guess I need to get in the new thread so I get the notifications.

We have lift off on tonights load. I would've liked to wait another hour but it's 5* outside and the temp in the stove room just dropped a degree. A little bit of everything tonight, ash, oak, hickory, black locust and maple. :) Heading for the minus digits tonight so the morning may be a little chilly.

DSC_0723.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Badger
Just got my fan kit today too! Wife picked it up on the way home from work. Perfect timing, it's 0f right now and dropping. Coldest night of the winter so far I believe, and it's pretty windy out. Usually when it's this cold out I run the stove on 2.75 overnight and wake up to around 64f and a decent amount of wood left. Probably getting 12 hour burns. Tonight I need to experiment, hope we don't wake up cold! I know the fan will cool off the stove a little and it's going to change how the thermostat works. I'm thinking setting the stove a little lower with the fan on will keep burn times similar?

So far I think the fan kit is fantastic. Usually when it's this cold I feel a major difference in temperature around the living room where the stove is. Now the temps feel much more even. I'm very glad I bought it. Tonight will be the real test. I'm going to set it to 2.25 on a full load and put the fan on medium/high.

Also, my in-laws love the stove so much they just ordered an Ashford for their house.

I have to run the fans usually if it's 35 or below out

When you use the fans do you change the thermostat setting from what it would usually be?

Shane, I think your on the right track running the stove at a little lower thermostat setting with the fan on.

So far, at outside temps above 35*f we don't run the fan. From 25* to around 35* we run the fan at its lowest setting. At 20* we can run the fan at about the 9 O'clock position. All at the same thermostat setting while keeping the house about the same temps. even though we do go through more wood with the fan cooling and keeping the thermostat cracked open.

Bellow 20* and the thermostat must be turned up accordingly.

Need to also add that we have two kids and two dogs so the front door hinges get lubed often:)

When you use the fans do you change the thermostat setting from what it would usually be?
Not really, because when I do run the fans its because it's cold, therefore a higher tstat setting is needed if that makes any sense

View attachment 149610 Success on the blower, upstairs temps climbing, outside temps falling and it's pretty windy out there, gusts maybe 20 mph or so... The only weird thing I'm noticing is a slightly higher stack temps, maybe because the fan isn't blowing at it anymore? Still burning my famous cherry ash combo, as soon as the bin inside is empty it's oak time

The fans transport more heat away from the stove than radiation alone, so the same thermostat setting will burn faster and hotter because the flapper will be opening a bit more with the box cooling a bit faster. Slightly higher stack temps are expected.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try setting the t-stat a little lower tonight with the fan on high and see how it plays out. I have a two year old and a pregnant wife who likes it warm. Now the real cold has set in I expect to churn through a bit more wood. So far I've been averaging 1/6 a cord a week keeping the house around 70. Pretty happy with that. I'm using less than half the wood I was using last year.

I wouldn't change your t-stat setting for running the fans. When it is single digits or colder I will run the fans on low or maybe medium. With my setup changing the t-stat from R to L in the normal range makes a lot of difference in the heat output of the stove with the fans running or not.

Getting 20+ hour burns right now using only 5 medium splits of wood. And its heating my 2000 sf tri level house. Gotta love the BK low burn.:cool:

Although it has warmed up here to the upper 40's to low 50's , so that helps a lot.==c

Reactions: sequoia

Yes, I set it a little lower when I use the fans . that helps to offset the flapper's air gap from increased heat exchange.

That was 11 hrs in, just before a hot reload to carry through til am

The fans transport more heat away from the stove than radiation alone, so the same thermostat setting will burn faster and hotter because the flapper will be opening a bit more with the box cooling a bit faster. Slightly higher stack temps are expected.
Perfectly said!

Status
Not open for further replies.