2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With less draft, you also cannot operate the stove as low as possible and still keep the cat active.
Sure, Chris. That's another caveat I should have mentioned when deciding if a person can really get away with using single-wall. I guess I'm blessed with really good draft - and I take some credit for working hard to provide really good firewood - so I rarely suffer from cat stalls on long low burns.

I just picked up a 5 year old Princess Ultra with fans and brushed nickel door for $650. I feel like I just won the stove lottery at that price. Thing looks great other than a spot on top of the stove where the PO must have set something plastic on top when the stove was running and it has a melted plastic stain. The nickel door has changed color a bit and is no longer like the ones I've seen in the show room. I can't wait to yank that dang HS Homestead out and slide the Princess in its place!!

Sure, Chris. That's another caveat I should have mentioned when deciding if a person can really get away with using single-wall. I guess I'm blessed with really good draft - and I take some credit for working hard to provide really good firewood - so I rarely suffer from cat stalls on long low burns.

I ran single wall from collar to ceiling support box 6ft + - last season, the total chimney system is about 23ft or so. I will be changing out the single wall to double wall this September ( I think it looks nicer, and def runs the flue hotter) but any ways the only cat stalls I had with my basement setup was when my cat Yeehaw would lay in front of the stove.

Reactions: RustyShackleford
I just picked up a 5 year old Princess Ultra with fans and brushed nickel door for $650. I feel like I just won the stove lottery at that price. Thing looks great other than a spot on top of the stove where the PO must have set something plastic on top when the stove was running and it has a melted plastic stain. The nickel door has changed color a bit and is no longer like the ones I've seen in the show room. I can't wait to yank that dang HS Homestead out and slide the Princess in its place!!

I swapped out a very similar hearthstone heritage for my princess ultra as well. The princess is a lot bigger but will not blast you out of the room anymore than the stone stoves. Don't let the larger size worry you. If your stoner was capable enough to keep the house warm with lots of feeding then the princess will be able to keep the house warm with much less feeding and much more consistent output.

I would love to find a 5yo ultra or classic for 650. Even if it needs a new cat it's still a great buy.

You should get a ultra fine scotch brite pad and lightly rub the satin door in the same direction as the grain. Go easy but it should get back to good finish. Also, check to make certain the glass is tight within the door frame and the front door seal is tight. That door changed color do to something.....like getting a bit hot. Now that you saved all that money you can take me speed goat hunting!

Is there No coating over the Satin finish?? If not you should easily get rid of the discoloration doing as BKVP said. I like the fact that someone representing a company like that actually takes the time to come on here share info. Also BKVP I had my heart set on a Princess but it wouldnt fit in the required 25" height limit I had :( so I settled on the Buck 91, I researched that Princess Up/Down and thought I had a chance until I learned the ultra was so high. I believe the previous Model had a 30* slant on the rear and would have fit but couldnt find one... :(

You should get a ultra fine scotch brite pad and lightly rub the satin door in the same direction as the grain. Go easy but it should get back to good finish. Also, check to make certain the glass is tight within the door frame and the front door seal is tight. That door changed color do to something.....like getting a bit hot. Now that you saved all that money you can take me speed goat hunting!

The door latch needs to be tightened, a dollar bill flies out. The bypass feels too easy when closing it, so I might try to tighten it a bit. The glass feels tight, the cat is not clogged and isn't showing cracks.

I actually like the color of the door frame with a bit of heat discoloration. My question is how am I going to get rid of the "melted something" stain on the top of the stove. I know I could sand it away and re-paint, but I don't want to do that until last ditch effort.

BKVP, PM inbound on hunting.

The door latch needs to be tightened, a dollar bill flies out. The bypass feels too easy when closing it, so I might try to tighten it a bit. The glass feels tight, the cat is not clogged and isn't showing cracks.

I actually like the color of the door frame with a bit of heat discoloration. My question is how am I going to get rid of the "melted something" stain on the top of the stove. I know I could sand it away and re-paint, but I don't want to do that until last ditch effort.

Wire wheel the spot and repaint the top with Satin Black Stove-Bright. Current stoves are painted with metallic black from another company, but yours pre-dates the change. It'll look like a new stove then!;)

Aluminum Oxide sand paper and satin black by stove bright (we use Crossroads now but used StoveBright back then).

Just think of the possibilities, you could paint it any color you want! I painted an AMC V8 white one time.
I've done it! I once painted an Encore with copper metallic Stove Bright. It turned out nice!

Aluminum Oxide sand paper and satin black by stove bright (we use Crossroads now but used StoveBright back then).

So my local BK dealer only had Meeco Red Devil paint in the satin black. They did have flat black in Stove Bright. The dealer assured me that it is the same as Stove Bright. I only plan on re-painting the top.

Should I go ahead and use the Meeco or should I return it and order Stove Bright online?

So my local BK dealer only had Meeco Red Devil paint in the satin black. The dealer assured me that it is the same as Stove Bright. I only plan on re-painting the top.

Should I go ahead and use the Meeco or should I return it and order Stove Bright online?
I would use Stove Bright personally.

A little off topic here but I'm trying to install the double walled pipe on the inside but with using the same spot as the old stove it's not the most ideal location as the King sits a little higher up. The manual calls for 36" before any bends and recommends using two 45* rather then a 90*. In order for me to get the 36" in I'd need to use a 90* with one 45*. If I went with the two 45's I'd only get 18" straight up. What's the better way to run it? Use the 36" with a 90* and 45* or only get 18" but have the two 45's rather then the 90* and 45*.

Last edited:
two 45's gets you some vertical motion, Whereas a 90* gets a semi-dead head. My first woodstove had 90's, then I changed to two 45's and picked up considerably..

two 45's gets you some vertical motion, Whereas a 90* gets a semi-dead head. My first woodstove had 90's, then I changed to two 45's and picked up considerably..

Oops I should have also wrote I still need to use 1 45* with the 90.

So you think I'd be better off without the 36" run and then only needing 2 45's with 18". I'm just trying to get the best senerio with my limited space.

Tough call....but 2 45's would be best choice. Still not optimal, but worth a shot.

Chris

Tough call....but 2 45's would be best choice. Still not optimal, but worth a shot.

Chris
That's what blaze king said when I called. Hopefully it will be ok. If I went a little higher with my stack would that help out at all?
My existing stack was 15' and I just bought a 30' stack. I had already planned on going to 18' but wondering is there any benefit to going higher. My existing stack had two 45's around the eve but I'm going to notch out the roof so it's a straight shot.

I'd take it up to 18-20'. Be sure to brace the chimney properly.

Begreen is absolutely correct, I added an additional length of pipe to my stove and it was a night and day different with keeping the cat in the active zone.

That's what blaze king said when I called. Hopefully it will be ok. If I went a little higher with my stack would that help out at all?
My existing stack was 15' and I just bought a 30' stack. I had already planned on going to 18' but wondering is there any benefit to going higher. My existing stack had two 45's around the eve but I'm going to notch out the roof so it's a straight shot.
Blaze King is BKVP. It was the man himself that you quoted. As has been mentioned so many times, it's so nice to have a manufacturer so involved with Hearth.com!

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.