2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 1/4 cord of oak and ash left to burn thru, in the rack on the patio. Once that's gone, I'm done for this season.

I've got 1/4 cord of oak and ash left to burn thru, in the rack on the patio. Once that's gone, I'm done for this season.
With 2 BK's that will last till about August, right ;)

Reactions: Ashful
Last night was the first night it didnt dip below freezing here since sept whatever-th.

Iirc the giy on the radio said we had 270 nights in a row below freezing, number 14 in the record books. First place was 279 nights in a row set in the 1950s.

Last night was the first night it didnt dip below freezing here since sept whatever-th.

Iirc the giy on the radio said we had 270 nights in a row below freezing, number 14 in the record books. First place was 279 nights in a row set in the 1950s.
The mathematician in me can't help but asking... how are there only 9 nights difference between 1st and 14th place, when you're counting nights below freezing?

Reactions: tarzan
The mathematician in me can't help but asking... how are there only 9 nights difference between 1st and 14th place, when you're counting nights below freezing?

I didn't notice that at first because I was too busy thinking about how glad I am that I don't live in that climate. The mathematical question is easily resolved by there being ties for some places, I dare say.

Reactions: Poindexter
I didn't notice that at first because I was too busy thinking about how glad I am that I don't live in that climate. The mathematical question is easily resolved by there being ties for some places, I dare say.

This winter was cheated out of the top ten!;) I suppose when there's a tie the colder winter wins?

Hello all, new member here... I ordered my BK Ashford 30 yesterday, and the seller assured me that my 4 meters (13 feet more or less) of chimney height shouldn't be an issue... I can rise my chimney a couple of feet if needed, but should I do it now or (as the seller suggested) try with what I have and see how it goes?
Thanks in advance for all your replies!

Hello all, new member here... I ordered my BK Ashford 30 yesterday, and the seller assured me that my 4 meters (13 feet more or less) of chimney height shouldn't be an issue... I can rise my chimney a couple of feet if needed, but should I do it now or (as the seller suggested) try with what I have and see how it goes?
Thanks in advance for all your replies!
It all depends... Bk recommends at least 15ft of insulated chimney, So figure the black pipe should be dvl - or double wall, and the silver (out of room pipe) should be double wall insulated, this is due to lower than your typical wood stove flue temps.
Some members have installed there Bk's with only 10-12ft of chimney. Its all about draft, different setups and different locations have different pressures.
If you plan on installing the stove in a basement setting, you may need a longer flue length due to over coming the stack effect of the building, if your installing the unit on the main floor, you might squeak by with no issues. If your house is at a bottom of a hill the draft might be weaker than if its located on the top of a hill.
Either way, when going with a shorter flue it is important to have a straight run, so usually its piped from the flue collar and straight up through a ceiling then out the roof, keeping the majority of the chimney on the interior of the house.
If you are planning on venting it out a wall then straight up the side of the building , plan on using 45deg elbows on the dvl black pipe, and plan on going higher with the flue, so if you need additional class a pipe, less restrictive cap, possibly a roof support bracket to stabilize the extra class a pipe.
I hope this helps, but feel free to ask more questions, people should be waking up here soon on this side of the world.

Reactions: Ashful and tarzan
Thanks Kenny, so basically the best thing to do is try... we live at 1200 meters ASL (that's not the "top" of the hill but very near...). The stove will be installed in the living room, and this requires two 45deg elbows in order to connect with the existing concrete chimney. With all the variables involved, I might well choose to go the easy way: double wall insulated pipe from stove top on, and see what happens. And cross my fingers!

@Alpine1 I ran my A30 on 13'6" of total pipe, stove collar to chimney cap, no elbows, for one season.

In colder weather and at higher throttle settings it did fine.

I did add 2' of chimney for total 15'6" of pjpe for the second season and it has made a huge difference in being able to run the stove at low throttle in relatively warmer weather.

Now i can run it on low at about +50 dF outdoor ambients.

@Alpine1 I ran my A30 on 13'6" of total pipe, stove collar to chimney cap, no elbows, for one season.

In colder weather and at higher throttle settings it did fine.

I did add 2' of chimney for total 15'6" of pjpe for the second season and it has made a huge difference in being able to run the stove at low throttle in relatively warmer weather.

Now i can run it on low at about +50 dF outdoor ambients.
Thanks PointD, great advice. I haven't measured the whole concrete chimney precisely yet (by standing on the roof and dropping a meter down that is) but I'm not far from the recommended height. I think I'll follow your way: run it for a winter and see what I get. If my setting will not allow me to run it on low I'll add a couple feet of pipe. Sounds like a good plan to me.

High altitudes, such as 1200 meters ASL, also hurt your draft. Further crippling the installation.

High altitudes, such as 1200 meters ASL, also hurt your draft. Further crippling the installation.
So, in your opinion, what's the best thing to do? Add a couple feet to the chimney anyway? Never had a BK before (or any other cat stove... not a popular technology here in old Europe...) and draft has never been an issue. But, from what I've read here (I freely admit that I've perused all BK performance threads is the last two years...) poor draft is THE problem with BK s, something I'd like to avoid since the very beginning, if at all possible
Thanks for your advice HighB!

So, in your opinion, what's the best thing to do? Add a couple feet to the chimney anyway? Never had a BK before (or any other cat stove... not a popular technology here in old Europe...) and draft has never been an issue. But, from what I've read here (I freely admit that I've perused all BK performance threads is the last two years...) poor draft is THE problem with BK s, something I'd like to avoid since the very beginning, if at all possible
Thanks for your advice HighB!

If it is at all possible I would certainly recommend the minimum 15' of vertical chimney. First measure to see what you have. Since you are needing 180 degrees of bends, and you are at altitude, and in a masonry chimney, you need all the help you can get! The manual requires 15' and we know from experience that the ashford stoves can have problems when a substandard chimney is used.

It's hard to tell from your post but if you are considering all new, all vertical, insulated pipe and skipping the concrete chimney then you can stop at 15' since you will have met the minimum requirements. You will live happily ever after.

My princess required only 12' of chimney and that's what I gave it. Current production princess stoves require 15' of chimney. If you were using a princess I would be more likely to recommend a test year!

Skipping the chimney is difficult if not impossible.. I was thinking to line it with double wall insulated pipe (required by law anyway) and connect it to the stove top with a 45 elbow... I mean, connect it to the 3 ft straight double wall pipe above stove top. As soon as the roof is free of snow I'll measure chimney height and make a decision.
Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Ashful
I was wrong again on what I thought I needed in the way of requirements from a stove. I thought I would only run till the spring winds arrived. I was very wrong about that and much to my delight the Princess is running fine on 13.6ft of double wall straight up...life is good

Reactions: MtnBURN
I was wrong again on what I thought I needed in the way of requirements from a stove. I thought I would only run till the spring winds arrived. I was very wrong about that and much to my delight the Princess is running fine on 13.6ft of double wall straight up...life is good

Since the princess was sold for so many years with only 12' required, I expect 13.6' to be fine. Mine is on 12'! The folks with ashfords, scirrocos, Chinooks, should stick to the 15' .

Since the princess was sold for so many years with only 12' required, I expect 13.6' to be fine. Mine is on 12'! The folks with ashfords, scirrocos, Chinooks, should stick to the 15' .
The house I'm buying has a 25' interior chimney, I'm really curious to see the difference after using a 14' +\- Same stove different flues.

What stove(s) would migrate to the new house?

Sounds good. Hope all goes well and smoothly with the new digs.

Got rid of a Mendota when I moved in here, an Ashford sits there now. It's on more than 25 feet chimney, and runs like a dream, webby. I don't anticipate you having any issue.

Got rid of a Mendota when I moved in here, an Ashford sits there now. It's on more than 25 feet chimney, and runs like a dream, webby. I don't anticipate you having any issue.
I'm not anticipating any issues. I assume it will be an improvement..
I love my Mendota! I hate to leave it behind!

I love my Mendota! I hate to leave it behind!

Mine did not suit the personality of this old house.

P4110015.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.