2017/2018 Glamour shots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
OK, here are the totally gratuitous glamour shots. 2017's great achievement was pouring concrete footers for the rest of the fence line stack. That was a pretty big dang job, and I'm glad it's over. What's hard for me to believe is that I got everything I poured straight and level. You can see the drop where I joined the stuff I did a few years before, but I had I done it all this year, it would have been Straight and Level. Here are a few pics.

Other noteworthy bits-
Everything on the property is split. That's a first.

OK, back to the fence row.
DSCN1378.JPG DSCN1401.JPG DSCN1415.JPG

Now it's full. Sadly, it's only 1.9 cords. I thought it was more.

DSCN1460.JPG

Not only the Borg have a Cube. I'm calling this 2 cords.
DSCN1465.JPG DSCN1466.JPG

And another cube under the wood shed. I call this at 3.5 cords.

DSCN1472.JPG DSCN1468.JPG DSCN1469.JPG DSCN1471.JPG

So I'm at 7.5 cords, maybe 8 with the most favorable count. I used 3.6 cords 16/17. So definitely on the 2-year plan. Still, burning dry wood is totally worth it.

Lots of effort, but I enjoyed it. Now I have to get some rounds on the property. Can't happen too soon.

OK, here are the totally gratuitous glamour shots. 2017's great achievement was pouring concrete footers for the rest of the fence line stack. That was a pretty big dang job, and I'm glad it's over. What's hard for me to believe is that I got everything I poured straight and level. You can see the drop where I joined the stuff I did a few years before, but I had I done it all this year, it would have been Straight and Level. Here are a few pics.

Other noteworthy bits-

View attachment 200916 View attachment 200917 View attachment 200918

View attachment 200919

View attachment 200920 View attachment 200921

View attachment 200922 View attachment 200923 View attachment 200924 View attachment 200925

So I'm at 7.5 cords, maybe 8 with the most favorable count. I used 3.6 cords 16/17. So definitely on the 2-year plan. Still, burning dry wood is totally worth it.

Lots of effort, but I enjoyed it. Now I have to get some rounds on the property. Can't happen too soon.
You've clearly been assimilated.

Neighbor: Hey Soundchasm whatcha doing? SC - nothing, just watching my wood dry.

Well, that looks pretty damn nice!

Unfortunately I was expecting to see glamorous bikini clad vixens wearing Santa caps lounging in front of a fired up woodstove. ;em

Unfortunately I was expecting to see glamorous bikini clad vixens wearing Santa caps lounging in front of a fired up woodstove. ;em
This is way better

If you are like me you probably go out and look at the stacks at least once a day!
I try not to linger too long and appear overly eccentric... Pretty tolerant neighborhood, really.;em

Ummm, these are the only "photo props" I can afford!! ;lol

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

Other noteworthy bits-

View attachment 200916 View attachment 200917 View attachment 200918

View attachment 200919

View attachment 200920 View attachment 200921

View attachment 200922 View attachment 200923 View attachment 200924 View attachment 200925

Impressive!!

Don't think that wood pile talks back or takes dollars
Well, I'm not without injuries and scars from accumulating stacks. And, along with the lovely straight stacks, I have quite a few piles of confounding unsplittables, as well as uglies that result from the imperfection encountered in the process. Actually, not a terrible metaphor, now that I think about it. The wood does get the upper hand in some situations (it doesn't call the cops when I show it my pimp hand when it fights back).

A suggestion arising from experience: Instead of mixing and pouring concrete, just use two concrete cap blocks in the hole laid perpendicular to the concrete blocks. A lot easier and about the same cost as bags of concrete. It will keep the blocks from sinking into the ground.

A suggestion arising from experience: Instead of mixing and pouring concrete, just use two concrete cap blocks in the hole laid perpendicular to the concrete blocks. A lot easier and about the same cost as bags of concrete. It will keep the blocks from sinking into the ground.

That's a good idea. After so many years of erosion, that old fenceline caught all the dirt. I had to dig at least a foot to get to clay. So it's been too soft for every idea I tried. The other big problem I encountered were the tree roots. As it turned out, I cut some and left others. And I'd dig slightly to the left or right to avoid some big ones. I hear exactly what you're saying, but in this case, something that flowed seemed to be the best option. And I knew that gravity would help me get it level. :)

And I knew that gravity would help me get it level. :)

If you mix concrete thin enough that it almost self-levels, you have bigger problems than whether it's level or not. Because it doesn't take much extra water to dramatically lower the final strength.

If you mix concrete thin enough that it almost self-levels, you have bigger problems than whether it's level or not. Because it doesn't take much extra water to dramatically lower the final strength.

Yeah, OMG, concrete is a doctoral subject all to itself! We didn't really do a stiffness test, and there wasn't excessive water, but we did exceed manufacturer's recommendations. I guess I mean once we got it mechanically leveled, it wasn't going to tilt to one side...

I saw a demo where a guy filled one cardboard tube with X amount of concrete and a half gallon of water, and a cardboard tube with X amount of concrete and a gallon of water. The gallon tube must have been three feet tall and had all the strength of a dried sandcastle. That really opened my eyes. When the water molecules evaporate, that's all empty space inside there. Another moral of the story was the bigger the aggregate, the greater the strength. Amazing stuff.

I don't think you need an enormous amount of strength in the concrete for your application, so I'm pretty sure you'll have years and years of level woodstacks in that area. I just placed salvaged concrete blocks right on the surface, with just enough digging to level things out. I prefer the results of your method, but I just wasn't ready for the commitment or labor. I'll think of your nice permanent installation as I'm restacking mine when they tumble!

Reactions: Soundchasm