2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This cat is in the 1700-1800*f area and it is pushing the limit.
I do think is ok. Mines after i dial them down to low after a good char they hang around there for hrs on a fresh load. the probe is just to tell you if is active or inactive. you can peg them more than that on those hot fire to clean the glass and creosote in the box once awhile.

Reactions: JKanor
JKANOR I’m with you on this for me my stove always goes past go (Dial)on hot reloads. I have a two year old cat now and will bury the needle every time on hot reloads. I have done all requirements Bk to my stove that this forum recommended insulated liner bottom plate season wood and fiddling with dial. For now I load a cold stove run 7 hours a day 3 o’clock dial fan speed to match dial. Today calm winds 5-10 mph 3oclock on TSTAT won’t do a hot reload cause I don’t like to run my stove past 450 stove top with high wind or calm winds drives me nuts when wife says the dial is to hot but for now cold 7hour burns is all I need.

@Ashful do you run your fan constantly and still manage 24hr reloads? I'm trying to figure out when it makes sense to run mine. Typically if I see the flue temp creeping towards 500F or higher I'll switch on the fan to strip the heat rather than send it up the flue.

@Ashful do you run your fan constantly and still manage 24hr reloads? I'm trying to figure out when it makes sense to run mine. Typically if I see the flue temp creeping towards 500F or higher I'll switch on the fan to strip the heat rather than send it up the flue.
Do you have probe or surface meter?

If you don't want to peg the temp gauge turn the thermostat down sooner and in steps. Every time you turn it down the temperature will spike. This is normal especially on large loads with smaller pieces.

Do you have probe or surface meter?

I have a probe in my double wall. I'm wondering if I'm riding the hole (closed down past the clink), do the fans affect the wood consumption rate, or just make the stove more efficient by capturing heat that would otherwise be lost up the flue? In the first couple hours after a reload my flue probe sneaks up to 500, so I figured running the fan during that period might be worthwhile. Once the bloom is over, turn it off if I don't need the heat to extend the burn and not overcool the flue.

I only run my fans from October thru May. I usually shut them off by early June.

I keep them running on a low setting all the time. Very occasionally, like if I'm trying to bring the house up a few degrees in an hour, I'll turn them up to medium. If I don't run the fans, I feel like the heat just hangs out in my fireplace, and doesn't make it around the house as well.

No issue running 24 or even 30+ hours with the fans on. This is why I always question others who say long burns with the fans aren't possible, I disagree. The fans will dictate where you need to set the t'stat knob for a given burn time, but that's about it, in my own experience with two BK's.

I have a probe in my double wall. I'm wondering if I'm riding the hole (closed down past the clink), do the fans affect the wood consumption rate, or just make the stove more efficient by capturing heat that would otherwise be lost up the flue? In the first couple hours after a reload my flue probe sneaks up to 500, so I figured running the fan during that period might be worthwhile. Once the bloom is over, turn it off if I don't need the heat to extend the burn and not overcool the flue.
If I use the fans I dial it down more. I don't feel that the fans affect that much the flue probe, for me the probe stop or start dropping when I dial it down. It still reacting as the tstat opens and closes. still affecting burn times with fans on but if you dial it down a little more is like it compensate a little. My experience by the way.

Last edited:
So I just lit the 2nd fire in my new to me BK princess. Its 3 years old with a brand new cat, this being the second fire on it. I used the top down method and ran it wide open, bypass open till the cat was active. Closed bypass and continued on 3/4 throttle until the small stuff burned down to coals. During this time the stack was 350 and the cat rolled over to about 330 o'clock on the thermo.
You’re not clear here, but are you using top down just on a kindling load, or on a real load of wood? Top down seems a horrible way to run, if you consider your goal is to char and bake out the moisture from the entire load of wood as much as possible, before engaging the combustor.

Off topic but quick question about burning black locust in a BK. I read online that even though black locust is a good firewood for burning , it gives bad smell. I found a dead fallen off tree in nearby forest and cut some rounds from it. Kennyp2339 and many others identified it as a black locust tree. Their MC content after splitting ranges from 18-27 %, most of them closer to 20 %. I intend to use the ones below 20% in January with fan on and hope the rest would go down below 20 % by February/March. Anyone used black locust in their BK and experienced claimed bad smell?

2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to fans, these are the first stoves I've had with fans. I like running them early in the morning to get the house up to temp. Other than that I dont need them.

Reactions: lsucet
Brrrr, 22 in SE Michigan this AM. Instead of going for the long 24 to 30 hrs burns Ive been getting, thought Id do a morning and evening load (12 hrs) to keep her good and hot. Whats your opinions on this one?

Brrrr, 22 in SE Michigan this AM. Instead of going for the long 24 to 30 hrs burns Ive been getting, thought Id do a morning and evening load (12 hrs) to keep her good and hot. Whats your opinions on this one?

Spot on! 24 or 12 hour reloading cycles really simplify things. Once it gets to cold for 24, then I go to 12.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to all the great input from members here I have recently switched to a Blaze King Princess Ultra. We’re only just recently getting some nice cold days but I think it was a great decision. So, thank you all again for your help.

Since this is my first year using it I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you with experience with them. I’ve read the manual and a bunch of older posts but I’m still left with a few questions and some smoke.

I’ll just list out the questions to make it easier for those reading:
  • After reading it seems its normal to have no flames when choking it down for long burns. But should you have the wood still glowing brightly? How dull and dead looking do you let it get?
  • Is it normal for the combustor to start lighting the smoke in front of it before it passes through?
  • How full are you filling you BK for long burns? Any pictures?
  • Should I have no smoke at all when shutting the bypass? I’ve been getting a decent amount of smoke even though the bypass is closed and the combustor is glowing.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here Thursday and Friday was 20 around 5 o'clock for a couple of hrs. Mid 50s during the day. Today just dropped to 28 for an hour or so and it picked up to 32 right now and it is real cloudy. Running both stove on low since Thursday night. Still almost 24 hrs schedule. Planty of coals for relight at 24 hrs mark and cat still active.

Off topic but quick question about burning black locust in a BK. I read online that even though black locust is a good firewood for burning , it gives bad smell. I found a dead fallen off tree in nearby forest and cut some rounds from it. Kennyp2339 and many others identified it as a black locust tree. Their MC content after splitting ranges from 18-27 %, most of them closer to 20 %. I intend to use the ones below 20% in January with fan on and hope the rest would go down below 20 % by February/March. Anyone used black locust in their BK and experienced claimed bad smell?
View attachment 232827View attachment 232828
I use quite a bit of black locust and find it burns very hot and very long! No odd smell noticed here. Don't hesitate, burn away I say :)

Reactions: chemie
I've been using a sirocco 20 for a season now and here's my experiences below. You're in for a treat with your stove. Enjoy!

• After reading it seems its normal to have no flames when choking it down for long burns. But should you have the wood still glowing brightly? How dull and dead looking do you let it get?
It can be completely dark in the box while the combustor still happily munches on the smoke
  • Is it normal for the combustor to start lighting the smoke in front of it before it passes through?
Yes, once the volatile gases reach combustible temps they'll ignite, wherever that may be. it looks cool when flames dance in front of the combustor.
  • How full are you filling you BK for long burns? Any pictures?
Don't be shy, fill er completely up!
  • Should I have no smoke at all when shutting the bypass? I’ve been getting a decent amount of smoke even though the bypass is closed and the combustor is glowing.
Hard to say without seeing but you might be looking at steam. Shouldn't see much smoke, and I rarely if ever see it, but it can happen. I've read here that it's when there's more smoke than the combustor can handle, usually early in the burn.

Thanks in advance.

Why not, if that fits your time schedule.
I have both the Ashford and Alderlea going this morning. Like you, its a nice balmy 22F here this morning.

Thanks a bunch Nigel. Being completely dark is hard to wrap my head around. These stove are definitely different.

Too much smoke for the combustor to handle was my first thought, but does that mean I'm not doing a good job starting the load?

After reading it seems its normal to have no flames when choking it down for long burns. But should you have the wood still glowing brightly? How dull and dead looking do you let it get?

My Ashford is running right now without a glowing piece of wood is sight, just the cat eating at the smoke, the flue temp is 450F. If your cat is in the active zone on the thermometer, the wood does not need to be glowing.

View attachment 232827View attachment 232828

Any smell would be emitted from the chimney. I would think you could just avoid sniffing it if it bothers you but I would want to give it a whiff. Just to know if the stink thing is true.

Different woods have different smells when burning but none are offensive to me except the acrid smell of smoldering a wet log all day.

Why not, if that fits your time schedule.
I have both the Ashford and Alderlea going this morning. Like you, its a nice balmy 22F here this morning.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware there was an Ashford+Alderlea stove owner on the forum. Two of the most beloved convective cast clad stoves in the same house. How do they compare?

It does smell different and bad IMO, but not awful. I wouldn’t roast marshmallows over it but for pure heat, it’s hard to beat Black Locust. The smell shouldn’t invade your home or be off putting enough to cause you to dread reloading the stove.

You’re not clear here, but are you using top down just on a kindling load, or on a real load of wood? Top down seems a horrible way to run, if you consider your goal is to char and bake out the moisture from the entire load of wood as much as possible, before engaging the combustor.

I only used the top down from a near empty cold start. 3 4" splits in bottom n/s, 4 smaller splits e/w, then kindling and some news paper/ fat wood stocks on top. I left the door cracked till it caught, ran it on high with bypass open till cat was active, then ran high with cat engaged till the smaller stuff collapsed into the first layer of bigger splits. I then did a hot reload with normal sized splits, charred for 10-15 min and dialed down the stat in 1/3s to about 1/4 on the swoosh. Once I engaged the cat the thermometer stayed at the very end of the grey or past it like the pic for about 5-6 hours.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.