2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regency F2400 in house. In winter, couldnt get more than 4-5hrs burn on the Regency without needing a relight with kindling.
Burning conifers will do that to ya.. ;) Unless you've got Doug Fir which looks to be a little longer-burning than, say, Pine..[/QUOTE]

All I burn is Fir.
I never have, but I see conflicting numbers on the BTU value of it; Some numbers say it's almost as good as Red Oak, around 24 MBTU/cord, other numbers are lower..

Out here in West Canada, Fir, Spruce, Pine and Poplar pretty much. And Aspen takes like 5 years to season. Fir is best. Not sure on any BTU of species. More my findings already on a reburn tube vs Cat stove is the reburn needed to be kept hot with flames, which in turn uses up the wood faster. And when the reburn was in full swing, the firebox is going like mad. Cook us out of the room, Even with the damper throttled down. Thats why we got a BK. Ability for much longerand more consistient advertised burn times Regency states their F2400 max burn time is only 8hrs Max. Drawbacks of a Reburn stove. There much cheaper, $1700 vs $3500. But we need the longer burn times

Last edited:
Reactions: lsucet
The resolution of the stove control could be so much more. This is the EE in me talking.

I've thought about adding a really long lever and dial to the knob so that you could increase the resolution. The stat settings are easy enough to get right enough. A few marks on the dial are a great help for repeatability.

I've thought about adding a really long lever and dial to the knob so that you could increase the resolution. The stat settings are easy enough to get right enough. A few marks on the dial are a great help for repeatability.

a gear down swooshbox

Reactions: sadpanda
a gear down swooshbox

I have a labeled thermostat. I just remember I like to be in the middle of the big "O" of the word normal on my label. I always mumble it under my breath to the wife. Gotta find the big O.

Aspen takes like 5 years to season. Fir is best.....reburn tube vs Cat stove is the reburn needed to be kept hot with flames, which in turn uses up the wood faster. And when the reburn was in full swing, the firebox is going like mad. Cook us out of the room
I'm very surprised that lightweight wood like Aspen would take that long to dry. I assumed it would be even faster than soft Maple, which dries here in less than a year.
The jury is still out on wood consumption rate in the secondary reburn stove I got for my SIL, to replace her undersized Dutchwest cat stove. Since the new stove will heat her place better, it's going to use some extra amount of wood. Even going to a bigger cat stove for that space, wood use would be more.
The stove is in a large vaulted-ceiling living room, so roast-out is not gonna happen there. The stove is an Alderlea T5, so that was 3K anyway..

OK all you stovenerds, this should get you to Harbor Freight!
Inkedimages_LI.jpg

Highbeam hasn't responded. He's in his shop drilling a 1/16" hole in his black thermostat knob, sourcing a ultra fine wire to glue into the hole and in line a HF! Wait until tomorrow folks!!

I got the fan kit and changed the on off switch on the wall to a timer one. I leave the fan on a very low setting and when it cold just turn the wall timer to 30 minutes or 1 hour. That ussualy is enough for the room to be nice and warm.

Highbeam hasn't responded. He's in his shop drilling a 1/16" hole in his black thermostat knob, sourcing a ultra fine wire to glue into the hole and in line a HF! Wait until tomorrow folks!!

Nah, it's easy enough to get it close enough to be repeatable with the little dial and some sort of reference marks. Plus I like talking about the BIG O.

Just anxious to start burning this year.

Reactions: BKVP
Nah, it's easy enough to get it close enough to be repeatable with the little dial and some sort of reference marks. Plus I like talking about the BIG O.

Just anxious to start burning this year.
With nights in the low 50s and cloudy days I'm surprised you haven't started already. I turned the heat pump on a couple weeks ago for night and morning warmups. I think you'll be burning very soon. Daytime highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s are predicted to be coming later this week.

Reactions: Highbeam
I’m almost afraid to ask, but how does she respond?

Believe it or not, since I operate the stove 99% of the time it is my way of tricking her into memorizing the stat setting if I were to be in the hospital, jail, or travelling and she needs to run it.

We've been married a long time and she expects the low quality humor. My favorite is when she complains about it being too cold is tell her to go stand in the corner. Because..... it's 90 degrees.

@begreen we have a pretty small and well insulated home and we tend to bake a lot. So the oven has been enough to keep the temperatures from dropping too low. I saw the forecast and think we might get some frost on the pumpkins early next week.

I'm very surprised that lightweight wood like Aspen would take that long to dry. I assumed it would be even faster than soft Maple, which dries here in less than a year.
The jury is still out on wood consumption rate in the secondary reburn stove I got for my SIL, to replace her undersized Dutchwest cat stove. Since the new stove will heat her place better, it's going to use some extra amount of wood. Even going to a bigger cat stove for that space, wood use would be more.
The stove is in a large vaulted-ceiling living room, so roast-out is not gonna happen there. The stove is an Alderlea T5, so that was 3K anyway..

My bad. I dunno why I even typed that. I meant Poplar. We do have a little Alder, Birch and Aspen. Cedar too. BUt main home heating is SPF, Spruce Pine Fir, Fir being best

Reactions: Woody Stover
Hey there fellas, can you all tell me if wind gust can be a cause of a backpuff during a cold start? Seems like it would make sense? I just had more first legit backpuff in the 3 years i've had this stove. it only lasted about 2 seconds - came out of the stove collar adapter where the telescopic pipe snugs in, and rolled out the cracked stove door. About 40 seconds into the start of the fire. it's 12 degrees C here today, with a strong NW wind gusting 40km/hr. The fire was starting nicely, and then it looked like someone blew out the birthday candles on my cake, and then the backpuff. caught my attention in an awful hurry that's for sure. any ideas how to prevent this moving forward? like i said, first time happening, but i'd be okay if it was the last time too. preheat the chimney maybe? thoughts? Just a function of the cold stove pipe and the wind?

Yes, a strong gust coming from the right direction can temporarily push air back down the chimney, even on a perfect system. That's not a backpuff per se, where unburnt gases suddenly ignite. It's more like a wind puff.

Reactions: MissMac
Yes, a strong gust coming from the right direction can temporarily push air back down the chimney, even on a perfect system. That's not a backpuff per se, where unburnt gases suddenly ignite. It's more like a wind puff.
okay thanks - even though i recognized what was happening had to do with the wind, it was quite alarming at the time. any suggestions about how to not repeat that in the future, should i have to light a fire again when it's windy? although, it's windy here often, so like you said, it must have been a perfectly-aligned gust. just an issue on the start up do you think begreen, or should i be keeping a closer eye on this load until it's run through the gaseous phase? bypass is closed now,

Generally, once you are burning 24/7 this is not an issue. I suppose you could poke a torch in the open bypass up the flue to prewarm it if that is possible.

it's 12 degrees C here today, with a strong NW wind gusting 40km/hr.

Try cracking a nearby window before lighting the cold stove when its above 50F. It happens on rare occasion here when its that warm and breezy. A possibility to consider.

Quickly cracking open my window always has remedied the situation quickly. Fwiw.

Try cracking a nearby window before lighting the cold stove when its above 50F. It happens on rare occasion here when its that warm and breezy. A possibility to consider.

Quickly cracking open my window always has remedied the situation quickly. Fwiw.
yes, i figured that one out the first year with my stove. in the shoulder season, the sliding door is always cracked a tad. the first thing i did when it happened was hurl the slider wide open. but thank you for that one :)

Reactions: moresnow
Hey there fellas, can you all tell me if wind gust can be a cause of a backpuff during a cold start? Seems like it would make sense? I just had more first legit backpuff in the 3 years i've had this stove. it only lasted about 2 seconds - came out of the stove collar adapter where the telescopic pipe snugs in, and rolled out the cracked stove door. About 40 seconds into the start of the fire. it's 12 degrees C here today, with a strong NW wind gusting 40km/hr. The fire was starting nicely, and then it looked like someone blew out the birthday candles on my cake, and then the backpuff. caught my attention in an awful hurry that's for sure. any ideas how to prevent this moving forward? like i said, first time happening, but i'd be okay if it was the last time too. preheat the chimney maybe? thoughts? Just a function of the cold stove pipe and the wind?

Is your pipe to stove connection not pretty dang air tight? I could see smoke rolling out of the open door during a reversal but to have smoke visibly pouring out of a joint in the flue system would have me looking at the integrity of that joint. You don't want leaks in the flue. Those will spoil your draft and introduce cold air.

Does anyone have a wind directional chimney cap installed? I am looking at installing the Famco cap because of my high chimney and lack of good draft. I think this would also help with the issue that MissMac is having with the wind puffs. I have experienced the same in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.