2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The latching mechanism on the new princess looks a lot different than the one on my king

Thanks, yes I see that, but like others have said I think I'll get over it. Had a 20 hour burn with temps right around freezing here and inside the house varies maybe one degree.

I have a smaller house, right around 1000 sq feet so was thinking a 20 size stove initially but went 30 after looking at a lot of info here. Clearances are less on the bigger stove and just makes sense for low burning to have the bigger stove with the temp being so controllable. Very glad I saw those points mentioned.

Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam
Hi All, I'm leaning towards getting a BK Ashford 30.2 in enamel brown. I've attached the location for the install. The chimney stack is approximately 20 feet tall from the stove top. Should I be asking for single wall or double wall pipe? The manual calls for double walled pipe for better draft though I do have enough clearances for a single walled pipe. Is kinder insulation recommended? It will go down a clay tile lined chimney. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190929_155023.jpg
    20190929_155023.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 20191004_124931.jpg
    20191004_124931.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 219
That will be a nice alcove! Yes please use double wall and an insulated liner. On the black pipe, please also use (2) 45's instead of a single 90. The smoother radius helps and it also reduces the horizontal length going into the liner.

On another note, you have what appears to be enough room for a really nice wood storage area adjacent to the stove. Some of the guy/gals here can pin point some examples for you....

Hi All, I'm leaning towards getting a BK Ashford 30.2 in enamel brown. I've attached the location for the install. The chimney stack is approximately 20 feet tall from the stove top. Should I be asking for single wall or double wall pipe? The manual calls for double walled pipe for better draft though I do have enough clearances for a single walled pipe. Is kinder insulation recommended? It will go down a clay tile lined chimney. Thanks!

What is on the walls there?

What is on the walls there?

Granite slab. The wall with the breach is Mason art block and non combustible. The L wall circled in red is non weight bearing made of 2x4 studs. I'd like to remove the L wall to open up the area a little. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20191007_221214.jpg
    20191007_221214.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 189
Granite slab. The wall with the breach is Mason art block and non combustible. The L wall circled in red is non weight bearing made of 2x4 studs. I'd like to remove the L wall to open up the area a little. What do you guys think?
The heat would flow up that stairwell....

I realize every application will vary. Trying to find a sweet spot for low setting. Wood is dry. My catalyst will go out if I set thermostat below half on the swoosh ,the indicator on thermostat must be at least 3:00 or later. Meaning more open/pointing down.
I’m fine with black box, but when cat goes out that’s annoying. Figured stove would open air more automatically to keep cat going.
Still learning this magical device!

Since that wall is right at the bottom of the stairs you will want to be sure that the floor underneath can be restored to look good. Also, as you go down the stairs you will be looking right a the side of the stove and the ashford has a pretty ugly sheet metal "butt" hanging back.

Otherwise, I'm all for removing extra walls like that.

I realize every application will vary. Trying to find a sweet spot for low setting. Wood is dry. My catalyst will go out if I set thermostat below half on the swoosh ,the indicator on thermostat must be at least 3:00 or later. Meaning more open/pointing down.
I’m fine with black box, but when cat goes out that’s annoying. Figured stove would open air more automatically to keep cat going.

Your avatar photo doesn't look like a BK and your signature says nothing.

The stove will not keep the cat going automatically. You must determine and then stay above that lowest possible setting for your particular install. Some folks are able to completely shut the thermostat to zero and their cats stay active but that is not typical. The thermostat will work on the top end to prevent overheat if you've installed and maintained the stove per the manual.

Just take some time to learn that low end setting and make a mark on the thermostat. Most operators spend most of the season on that low setting. Myself included.

I did my second fire of the season last night. This morning was only 44 deg outside but I have been having some 37 to 39 degrees nights already but I am testing the mini split with super heat system and has been working good. Last night I shut everything else and run one of the stoves. God is a witness, I was in Paradise. This morning all that part of the house was 78 when I left.;em

What type of wood do you have in New Mexico?

So the effective range of operation is in fact the 3-6 range. However, more draft will permit a more air to be pulled in at lower burn rates. This means it will also burn hotter on the top end.

I don't know about him, but many burn pinon and higher elevations have fir. But what we really want to know is how do we get some of those world famous Hatch Peppers!

Thanks for replying highbeam. Yeah avatar pic is my old vc intrepid, I loved that, not sure I will change pic. Only current pic is during install
AD84202D-7FFD-4DF6-8592-E97D9C2974AA.jpeg
3BB2A4A6-9B69-41E3-B144-04E5770E724A.jpeg

Had to show the guy on roof. Yeah no thanks. Well worth paying him to go up there!!
It’s to warm to really play with it yet, I’m confident I’ll figure it out. The flapper doesn’t seem to start to open until thermostat knob is horizontal

new users especially should be warned that these high efficiency stoves are more prone to spillage than regular stoves.
Care to expound on that? I believe there are "highly efficient" stoves that aren't as prone to smoke roll-out as the BKs..depends on the design of the stove, I'd think.
Welcome to the dark side. Literally.
I guess you're referring to the black window. ;)
My sister there burns mainly Juniper.
Had to show the guy on roof.
I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with that much fat pressing against the chimney at that angle.. :oops:

Highbeam said:
new users especially should be warned that these high efficiency stoves are more prone to spillage than regular stoves.
@Woody Stover "Care to expound on that? I believe there are "highly efficient" stoves that aren't as prone to smoke roll-out as the BKs..depends on the design of the stove, I'd think."

Read carefully, "these" high efficiency stoves. Don't forget that you are squatting in the BK thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying highbeam. Yeah avatar pic is my old vc intrepid, I loved that, not sure I will change pic. Only current pic is during installView attachment 248954View attachment 248953
Had to show the guy on roof. Yeah no thanks. Well worth paying him to go up there!!
It’s to warm to really play with it yet, I’m confident I’ll figure it out. The flapper doesn’t seem to start to open until thermostat knob is horizontal
@bholler......is that how you do it?

Different species of pine, junipers, alligator Juniper ( good BTUs out of this one ), cottonwood, live oak, pinion, Russian olive, Some Ash species, elm and many other species. Anything that dry will be burn.;)

Reactions: chazcarr
Russian Olive. That is a smoke smell you do not forget!

I don't know about him, but many burn pinon and higher elevations have fir. But what we really want to know is how do we get some of those world famous Hatch Peppers!
Let's see. I never burn Hatch pepper, no need to burn it to get BTUs out of it. You just eat it and will make you hot. ;lol

Reactions: Woody Stover
Let's see. I never burn Hatch pepper, no need to burn it to get BTUs out of it. You just eat it and will make you hot. ;lol
I often travel your state and eat all I can get! I also love to go to El Pinto.....

Reactions: lsucet
Granted I'm just figuring out my stove as well but my low seems to be around the 2:45 to 3:00 mark. Only 2nd burn. Cat needle is about 3/8" into active and been holding there since this morning fluctuating 1/8 each way. I'm at 26 hours right now and still a bit of wood yet to go. I want to reload before bed but it just keeps going lol. I have a short chimney at the moment as well.

Reactions: lsucet
Granted I'm just figuring out my stove as well but my low seems to be around the 2:45 to 3:00 mark. Only 2nd burn. Cat needle is about 3/8" into active and been holding there since this morning fluctuating 1/8 each way. I'm at 26 hours right now and still a bit of wood yet to go. I want to reload before bed but it just keeps going lol. I have a short chimney at the moment as well.

Hot reloads are no issue, just bypass for five minutes before and after, if you want to minimize smoke spillage and minimize cat shock.

Good to know, it's getting close to being done anyway.
What happens if the bypass is closed on an inactive cat on a new load that might not be quite up to temp? Does it just run the smoke through until it's hot enough to go active or are there other adverse effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.