2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like loading straight in
BTW, to do top-down starts you need truly dry wood, like 18% moisture content, measured on a big split at room temp, re-split and tested on the fresh face. If your wood isn't optimally dry, load N-S for a hotter fire earlier to burn off the excess moisture.

Reactions: SpaceBus
What’s the best way to keep the cat active on reload

The secret of keeping the cat active on reload is setting the dial right after the previous reload. It depends on your setup and your BTU load, so nobody can tell you what the right setting is- but you'll get the hang of it real easily with practice.

I load every 24 hours in warm weather, when I get up and when I get home from work in cool weather, and I also do a third partial (very hot) reload at bedtime in the coldest part of winter. I know where to put the dial for each of those scenarios, and you'll learn that too just by using the stove. It isn't hard!

Soon you'll wonder what people are talking about when they ask how you start a fire. "START a fire? Why would I do that??" :)

Last edited:
BTW, to do top-down starts you need truly dry wood, like 18% moisture content, measured on a big split at room temp, re-split and tested on the fresh face. If your wood isn't optimally dry, load N-S for a hotter fire earlier to burn off the excess moisture.
I discovered this myself. My firewood had a bit of surface moisture from ice and rain. My first top down light in the cookstove went great since the wood had been inside for several days and I warmed the flue with a torch. The second time the wood had just come in from outside, but I thought it would light easily since it had been top covered. I was wrong and filled the kitchen with smoke. I had to remove the smoldering wood and take it outside, but the fire lit right up once the offending piece was removed!

Lessons have been learned.

Ok thanks. I like loading straight in but they have to be about 18 inches to fit so I will just Cut a little shorter
I load both of mine "north-south", as others have already indicated as desirable. My Ashfords do a nice "cigar burn" this way, consuming wood from front to back, and I can load the stove to the gills without any concerns of a split rolling out or up against the glass. But yes, you must mind your length, lest you break the glass when latching the door.

One thing I do with the occasional long split, to avoid having to re-cut them, is to set it aside in another rack. When I need to load just two or three splits to burn down the coal accumulation or to carry me an hour or three while awaiting the bedtime reload, I use these occasional long splits I've set aside, placed diagonally in the stove.

Loading N-S onto sparse coals, the load will burn in faster since the air comes in above the glass and can flow down the length of the splits. You'll get more flame heat and smoke to the cat more quickly. If the cat is still pretty hot and you are loading on a bigger coal bed, you could load E-W (crossways.) Not a whole lot of difference overall, I don't think. If you load E-W, you can do the BrotherBart "tunnel of love," where you make a trench in the coals, front to back, to allow more air through to all the wood.
On a cold start you could also employ a "top-down" start where you put a couple kindling or smaller splits on top of the bigger stuff. It takes slightly longer to get the load going but it's a cleaner start since the smoke from the wood catching below rises into the flames above and is consumed. Flames on top of the load also heat up the cat area more quickly, and you can more easily feed a little flame heat to the cat after you close the bypass to kick it off quicker.
If you live in a populated area, the cleaner you burn, the more the neighbors will like it. :)
BTW, where in IN are you? Always good to see another Hoser on the forums. ;)
Warsaw Indiana
Thanks for the information. If I load east west the cat doesn’t stay lit as well

Warsaw Indiana
Thanks for the information. If I load east west the cat doesn’t stay lit as well
This should make no difference to the cat. Perhaps your wood is a little on the under seasoned side?

Reactions: Highbeam
And what is a “lit” cat? Do you mean the cat meter falls to inactive when wood is loaded sideways? The cat glowing is not an accurate indicator of cat happiness.

For the hell of asking other than burning the smoke/ particulate matter? what purpose does the cat serve. Lets say the cat all fell apart or was 15 years old for whatever reason was not working like designed what would the effects be? Without the cat operating correctly would the stove then work like a non cat stove? ( i.e.) not as efficient.

And what is a “lit” cat? Do you mean the cat meter falls to inactive when wood is loaded sideways? The cat glowing is not an accurate indicator of cat happiness.
Right, the cat doesn't have to be glowing to be burning smoke..
other than burning the smoke/ particulate matter what purpose does the cat serve. Lets say the cat all fell apart or was 15 years old for whatever reason was not working like designed what would the effects be? Without the cat operating correctly would the stove then work like a non cat stove? ( i.e.) not as efficient.
It wouldn't work like a modern non-cat stove unless it was a hybrid stove which also, besides the cat, has secondary burn. A straight cat stove with the cat burnt out would operate like an old smoke dragon pre-EPA stove.

Reactions: Ashful
Right, the cat doesn't have to be glowing to be burning smoke..
It wouldn't work like a modern non-cat stove unless it was a hybrid stove which also, besides the cat, has secondary burn. A straight cat stove with the cat burnt out would operate like an old smoke dragon pre-EPA stove.

Also, because it’s a BK, the thermostat would likely not operate as intended without a functional cat.

BTW, even a totally stripped and depleted cat can still offer secondary reburn at higher temperatures. The primary contribution of the plating is to maintain that reburn at temperatures below that which it could occur by purely mechanical means.

Reactions: Woody Stover
OK, did a dumb thing. thought the door was latched on the princess pegged the meter over 1600 degrees. maybe that way for 30 minutes. inspected the bypass door, flame shield, no warping that I can tell. Only problem i think i fried my brand new cat. Doesn't seem to be getting the 20 plus hr burns that I was, and the cat seems to stall out rather quickly. Did i ruin the combustor? Have a new one on the way

OK, did a dumb thing. thought the door was latched on the princess pegged the meter over 1600 degrees. maybe that way for 30 minutes. inspected the bypass door, flame shield, no warping that I can tell. Only problem i think i fried my brand new cat. Doesn't seem to be getting the 20 plus hr burns that I was, and the cat seems to stall out rather quickly. Did i ruin the combustor? Have a new one on the way
You have a cat probe with actual temps on it? You could possibly have fried the cat, but I thought it was OK to hit 1800 occasionally for short periods. But if your probe was pinned, who knows how high it went?? :oops: Did you look at the cat when you saw the pinned meter? Was it glowing almost yellow?

No I didnt woody. the only thing ive noticed is degrading performance. My new cat arrived today form Midwest, now the stove is acting like it did when new. the old one wasn't crumbled or cracked, bit i defiantly was not working right . wouldn't hold a long fore and turned down to where i run it, the cat would stall

Yes, Pine generates black smoke but I think the cat should handle it. I don't know for sure, I just use it for kindling. Maybe burners of Pine exclusively, will chime in.
Have you tried 50/50 distilled vinegar/distilled water? Use a spray bottle (you have to spray the heck out of it to thoroughly soak the insides of all the cells) or just make a batch and soak it in there for like a half hour. Or keep spraying every 15 minutes for an hour or so. The thoroughly rinse several times with distilled water. Depending on how old your cat is, that might bring it back. If it's three or more years old, and you burn 24/7 for many months per year, it might be plumb tuckered out. You don't burn any crap through it, like colored newspaper or anything that might poison it, do ya? :oops:
Nothing but well-seasoned wood goes through my stove. Wasn’t really hung up on it being pine - pine is 80% of what has been put through my stove the last 3 winters. I let the stove cool down, and removed all the ash. The cat had walked out a tad, so i pushed the tabs to get it seated back flush against the housing. Also noticed that i’ve got a fair bit of fly ash accumulation on the cat (which has been typical for my set up the last 3 years), so i’ve vacuumed the face of it off, and we’ll see how it goes once i fire it back up. Perhaps i did overwhelm the cat that time. Smoke was grey, so it was smoke not water.

No I didnt woody. the only thing ive noticed is degrading performance. My new cat arrived today form Midwest, now the stove is acting like it did when new. the old one wasn't crumbled or cracked, bit i defiantly was not working right . wouldn't hold a long fore and turned down to where i run it, the cat would stall

Hard to say whether the improved performance was just from replacing an old cat, or if it was from replacing a cat damaged by the door incident. How old was the old cat? New cats are always nice and I'm also happy to hear that the cat sold through midwest fit into your princess. I heard some reports of ill fitting ceramic cats. Did the new cat come wrapped with gasket material?

pine is 80% of what has been put through my stove the last 3 winters...Also noticed that i’ve got a fair bit of fly ash accumulation on the cat (which has been typical for my set up the last 3 years), so i’ve vacuumed the face of it off
When I clean the cat, I first brush the faces with a 'chip brush' or old toothbrush, then manually blow hard through the cat repeatedly, from both sides. A lot more dust comes out than when you just vacuum.
It's possible that the black-smoke Pine may deposit more fly ash in the cells. In that case, some of it may be hard to remove, and the distilled vinegar/water wash I described earlier will clean the catalyst surface better than brushing and blowing.
Hard to say whether the improved performance was just from replacing an old cat, or if it was from replacing a cat damaged by the door incident. How old was the old cat?
I don't think she got a new cat, but yeah, how old is the cat you have in there now, MissMac?

Hard to say whether the improved performance was just from replacing an old cat, or if it was from replacing a cat damaged by the door incident. How old was the old cat? New cats are always nice and I'm also happy to hear that the cat sold through midwest fit into your princess. I heard some reports of ill fitting ceramic cats. Did the new cat come wrapped with gasket material?
it was a new cat this fall, and yes it did come with the gasket. It fit in there real good. where do you or other folks get their's from

I got confused who Highbeam was responding to. I get confused a lot.. ;lol
Rat-man, if you look into the cells of the old cat, can you see a lot of peeling, flaky catalyst coming off the walls? Was that a ceramic or steel? New one is ceramic?

Last edited:
I think that’s the tradition, now...

I still haven’t shoveled out the ashes from spring, or swept my flues.
. Since the word flue is mentioned, perhaps I can ask a question. I have an internal brick 2 story chimney, lined with 8” stainless steel. My Lamppa Kuuma VF200 add-on furnace, is designed for a 6” flue. I have had no problems because a barometric damper is used, 2’ from the furnace. I lined the chimney with 8” SS because my previous stove, was the Juca B-3B; which required an 8” flue. Today I visited a local dealer that only sells Lopi and Regency. He wanted to sell me one of his 7 remaining non-2020 certified stoves at 40% off. When I told him that my chimney was 8” diameter SS and I had enough 8” DuraVent double wall pipe, to reach the stove; he said I should only use a stove designed for an 8” flue. He then suggested the Regency Pro-Series F5200. Does anyone agree that I should only use a stove designed for a 8” flue? Other than the BK King Ultra, does anyone have a stove with an 8” flue?

I got confused who Highbeam was responding to. I get confused a lot. ;lol
Rat-man, if you look into the cells of the old cat, can you see a lot of peeling, flaky catalyst coming off the walls? Was that a ceramic or steel? New one is ceramic?
ceramic, I dd also order a steelcat, but I wont get it for a week yet. I like the steel job in my ashford, so ILL probably change it when it comes in

never did get an answer concerning why the princess comes with a ceramic verses steel in the ashford

never did get an answer concerning why the princess comes with a ceramic verses steel in the ashford

I got my last ceramic from Midwest via amazon. Applied ceramics sent me their and called it “their” online store but maybe misspoke. The price was great.

Princess and ashford use same size cat and princess stoves have shipped from bk with both steel or ceramic.

Last edited:
For the hell of asking other than burning the smoke/ particulate matter? what purpose does the cat serve. Lets say the cat all fell apart or was 15 years old for whatever reason was not working like designed what would the effects be? Without the cat operating correctly would the stove then work like a non cat stove? ( i.e.) not as efficient.

Don't discount burning the smoke as a less than useful feature. Take the cat out and you have a smoke dragon with amazing air control.

Nice stove, but you have to cut, haul, split, and stack double the wood.

I run steel in mine, came with ceramic.

BKVP said (I don't know how many years ago) that they chose ceramic because it stays active better on the tail end of the burn due to higher thermal mass.

BK will never say that it's OK to use whatever you like because they have to sell stoves that are tested and certified to meet standards. Change the cat and it's no longer certified. They COULD certify the princess with both, but that would mean a long expensive round of tests for each princess model, resulting in no real benefit for them (or their customers).

Overall, I think I like steel a little better, but it is for sure more prone to plugging than ceramic. It won't ever die of thermal shock, though.

Reactions: Alpine1 and MissMac
Status
Not open for further replies.