2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
p_20190228_152654-jpg.jpg
Hey Mr BKVP, a couple of us were wondering how you tighten up the door on our ashfords. Whats the trick
Not too tight...

Reactions: Ashful and bigaar
Interesting translation. The Swedes use Kr (Krona) but the penalties are translated to Deutsche Marks. I remember as a kid living overseas, 4 Marks = 1 US Dollar. So basically a good beer was .50 cents....I know because my grandfather sent me to the market to get the beer.....and it was good because he also shared a bit with me!

1574-1873, the daler/riksdaler was around, and 1/4 of a riksdaler was a mark. (A mark could be broken up into öres, and an öre could be broken up into pennings.)

In 1873, the Scandic countries formed a monetary union with new currencies pegged to the gold standard, and Sweden's new currency was the Krona (crown).

...so your deustchemarks cannot pay Ashful's fine, sorry! :)

How many folks have both and ashford and a princess. I do, and I aint saying which one is a better heater.

Reactions: Ashful
Firebox shape and depth are different, not to mention the heavy cast iron jacket.

A few more differences. The performance specs of the princess are better, especially the newest version. They do use the same cat! Princess is much cheaper, dirtier glass, deep ash belly, the smell issue.

I would prefer the performance of a princess with the looks of an ashford.

How many folks have both and ashford and a princess. I do, and I aint saying which one is a better heater.

I had forgotten you had one of each! I had the good sense to buy two of the same... so I can drive myself nuts with the small differences between the two.

they are both great stoves. If i do another house. ill do the king with an 8 inch chimney. Now if someone would explain why the difference in the cat between the two stoves, ILL be a BK expert

difference being one steel and the other ceramic

Reactions: Ashful
1) Remove cat therm
2) Remove bypass handle
3) Lift top off and set aside
4) Take 3/8" open end wrench and substantially loosen two bolt at top holding side casting. There are two at bottom, but we do not tighten them, they are used as locators
5) Lift off side, set aside
6) You'll see the very simple way to adjust from there

PS I have done this enough times and now can do it in under 10 min. Note, mark the door adjustment bracket where studs and nuts are BEFORE you loosen nuts, open door, loosen nuts and move back the latch bracket about 1/4". Secure and check tension....

Then go in reverse order 6-1.

I assume this is for not Ashford 25 insert but for AF30?

difference being one steel and the other ceramic

There is no difference. It’s the same cat. Available in ceramic or steel to fit princess or 30 box stoves. Pick whichever you like .

There is no difference. It’s the same cat. Available in ceramic or steel to fit princess or 30 box stoves. Pick whichever you like .

Waitaminnit... are you talking about the new 2020 Princess, or the model we’ve all known the last decade? I thought it used a different cat than the Ashford 30?

Waitaminnit... are you talking about the new 2020 Princess, or the model we’ve all known the last decade? I thought it used a different cat than the Ashford 30?

10x4x2. I thought it was you that swapped a ceramic into your ashford. The new princess32 uses the same cat as well but with vastly lower emissions due to insertion of alien technology elsewhere in the stove.

My personal experience is just steel and ceramic in the pre2020 princess. I was under the impression, maybe wrong, that these cats in the 3 cf BKs were wonderfully interchangeable.

Correct...

Do I need to do similar adjustment after the first year of AF25? I didnt realize it during the usage but now when I open the door of the stove it makes a squeaking sound. Should I lubricate the connection bolts?
b128d9556630daa74bc2eb22536461a4.jpg

Also I have had latch/handle problem during the coldest time of winter. It was stuck. Then I had loosen it up with allen key and a wrench. Since then the latch/handle always feels wiggly after some time of tightening up the nut/bolt part of it. I am including some pics .
ccdbabb0bc824ad4eff120d98ae0d940.jpg745a519dfa3d604ddec3cd7323a36444.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what im saying is that my princess came with a ceramic combustor and the ashford came with a steel one. both the same size

not what i meant highbeam

10x4x2. I thought it was you that swapped a ceramic into your ashford. The new princess32 uses the same cat as well but with vastly lower emissions due to insertion of alien technology elsewhere in the stove.

My personal experience is just steel and ceramic in the pre2020 princess. I was under the impression, maybe wrong, that these cats in the 3 cf BKs were wonderfully interchangeable.
The Ashford cat is 10.6 x 4 x 2, and it's common to the Chinook and Sirocco, but I think it's different than the Princess. Yes, I have a ceramic in one of my Ashfords and the OEM steel in the other. Several manufacturers make a ceramic cat this size, I think, you can even buy them on Amazon!

The Ashford cat is 10.6 x 4 x 2, and it's common to the Chinook and Sirocco, but I think it's different than the Princess. Yes, I have a ceramic in one of my Ashfords and the OEM steel in the other. Several manufacturers make a ceramic cat this size, I think, you can even buy them on Amazon!
It is the same size for the ceramic one for the princess.

Do I need to do similar adjustment after the first year of AF25? I didnt realize it during the usage but now when I open the door of the stove it makes a squeaking sound. Should I lubricate the connection bolts?
View attachment 247203

Also I have had latch/handle problem during the coldest time of winter. It was stuck. Then I had loosen it up with allen key and a wrench. Since then the latch/handle always feels wiggly after some time of tightening up the nut/bolt part of it. I am including some pics .
View attachment 247204View attachment 247205
Sure lubricate hinges and bushing inside the door latch.

So, now we know how to adjust it, but I'm still wondering when and how much to adjust it...

A few more differences. The performance specs of the princess are better, especially the newest version. They do use the same cat! Princess is much cheaper, dirtier glass, deep ash belly, the smell issue.

I would prefer the performance of a princess with the looks of an ashford.

what is the smell issue?

what is the smell issue?

The ashford model has developed a reputation for emitting a creosote stank into your home. Sure, it may depends on many factors but fact of the matter is that a lot of honest folks have come here for help with this problem. I would not recommend one for my mom given the smell issue. Good news is that other models are bueno.

but I'm still wondering when and how much to adjust it...
I would think just snug since once it heats up it will get tighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.