2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft increases with indoor/outdoor temperature differential, so definitely yes.

Burn your break in fires plus a good hot one while it's still warm enough to open all the windows! The stove will stink again every time you hit a new high temp.

A new stove pipe can be an even bigger contributor to that burn in stink.

Reactions: lsucet
Good info guys thank-you. I'll definately pay special attention to drafting as the temps drop. Now to re&re the other stove. What a freakin mess that is. Have to say I'm impressed with the BK. Over 16 hours since loaded with 7 pieces of pine, cat probe still just over 3/8 in the active zone.

I am very very happy with my BK install. Burned the stove in at the 3:00 thermostat setting. Fumes were not to excessive. Draft is good as expected and you can see an immediate response from the fire when turning down the thermostat. Could overdraft become more of an issue as it gets colder out?

yes it will

I’m going to be running draft checks this year, picked up a manometer. Refresh my memory, would it go before or after key damper? After I presume?

I’m going to be running draft checks this year, picked up a manometer. Refresh my memory, would it go before or after key damper? After I presume?

I would want it between the stove and the damper so that you can monitor what the stove is feeling.

Reactions: Alpine1
I got my new cat from Fire-Cat Combustors a few days ago. I just now went to put it in. I can now agree when people say," the cat just slides right in". Probably took 3 ounce's of pressure to put it in place. I guess when the by-pass deflector is not in the way the cat goes right in! It was 36* here this morning at 5am the first fire aint far off!

Reactions: Highbeam
I got my new cat from Fire-Cat Combustors a few days ago. I just now went to put it in. I can now agree when people say," the cat just slides right in". Probably took 3 ounce's of pressure to put it in place. I guess when the by-pass deflector is not in the way the cat goes right in! It was 36* here this morning at 5am the first fire aint far off!

Did the new cat come pre-gasketed?

Just out of curiosity what would happen if you installed the cat without the two side deflectors? What if the top portion of the gasket get pushed behind the cat when installing? During my first attempt at installing the cat without properly taping this is what was happening. I'm sure it has happened to someone and they didn't know it.
Your bypass plate will jump out of alignment, disengage and you will be posting here it was a bad idea.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have the Ashford 30 which I had installed last year so this is my second season with the stove. What I am noticing is that the stove goes out when I turn it back past the 3 o'clock position hours into the burn. The wood is well seasoned wood. I have a pic attached of the lowest point I can go with the thermostat. Can anyone shed any light as to what may be going on? Thanks.

IMG_1784.JPG

Hi all, I have the Ashford 30 which I had installed last year so this is my second season with the stove. What I am noticing is that the stove goes out when I turn it back past the 3 o'clock position hours into the burn. The wood is well seasoned wood. I have a pic attached of the lowest point I can go with the thermostat. Can anyone shed any light as to what may be going on? Thanks.

View attachment 247799
Your "low" will be unique to your set up. Just because the dial goes lower than in your picture, doesn't mean that you can actually turn it down that much necessarily. Everyone's setup is unique, and so it sounds like you've figured out where your "low" spot is on your stove under your local conditions with your exact set up. Nothing wrong - that's just your low (and i'm assuming your wood is in fact good). I'm sure that other guys on here can grill you for more details about your wood, stove pipe length etc., but in general i can tell you that you cant necessarily just turn the dial down as far as it will let you.

That point on the “swoosh” is marked “24 hours” on my stove, if I go any lower the cat stalls. Not everyone can ride the hole all the time, but there’s nothing wrong with this. Or with your stove.

Reactions: BKinger

View attachment 247799

I will say it is normal position but be sure that the knob stop rock solid at 6:00 o'clock position pointing to the floor going clockwise. If it goes to much pass the 6 o'clock it needs little adjustment.

Reactions: BKinger
I will say it is normal position but be sure that the knob stop rock solid at 6:00 o'clock position pointing to the floor going clockwise. If it goes to much pass the 6 o'clock it needs little adjustment.
Thanks all, that's the answers I was hoping for. In saying that, it does point to the 6 o'clock position on high and if I dial it all the way to the lowest setting it points at about the 7 o'clock position. I take it as being normal and all positions between 3 o'clock and 7 o'clock are dead zones for my stove. Thanks again...
IMG_1785.JPG

View attachment 247799
That's why they took the numbers off of this label and put the swoosh on there. People were comparing their operating positions and upset if they couldn't run their stoves as low as what they had seen on the net!

Do check that at full throttle stop the knob points straight to the floor. It should.

That explains everything. Your knob isn't set right. So the 3 o'clock position on your knob is actually the 1 o'clock position on a properly set knob. 1 o'clock is usually where the flapper inside just stays closed all the time, effectively defeating the thermostat.

BKVP can provide instructions for resetting the knob.
i think is right, he said it was right and the picture looks like it was when he went counterclockwise.

Reactions: Highbeam
That explains everything. Your knob isn't set right. So the 3 o'clock position on your knob is actually the 1 o'clock position on a properly set knob. 1 o'clock is usually where the flapper inside just stays closed all the time, effectively defeating the thermostat.

BKVP can provide instructions for resetting the knob.

I’m not sure about that, Highbeam. It’s been four months since Ive run either of my Ashfords, but I remember 6 o’clock being WOT. I think his knob is set correctly, but can check tonight if no one else chimes in first.

I’m not sure about that, Highbeam. It’s been four months since Ive run either of my Ashfords, but I remember 6 o’clock being WOT. I think his knob is set correctly, but can check tonight if no one else chimes in first.

Whoops, I misunderstood the post. Never mind!

I blame all the stroke inducing advertisements!

One factor that users have commented on relating to increased draft.

"Hey I added 3' of chimney and this is a different stove! I can run lower and keep cat active and my high burn is hotter. Bad part is, the pipe and stove paint cured again and stunk up the house". I hastened to add, it's not a different stove, it's a different chimney (draft).

I will share that once upon a time I had it my head that more horsepower is better. But after dumping $30k into the motor, I saw a point of diminishing return. (I wish I had seen it $10k sooner)

Just adding 3' of pipe doesn't mean it will perform markedly better....but it could! As for those of you that have followed my posts over the years...The '65 Chevelle no longer lives with me....but the wife does and she is getting a house remodel! I feel I got robbed.

I liked that post, despite one obvious error.

I will share that once upon a time I had it my head that more horsepower is better.

I’m sure you didn’t mean it. [emoji14]

Reactions: BKVP
i think is right, he said it was right and the picture looks like it was when he went counterclockwise.
Yes, the second pic is when I turned it all the way counter clockwise. When I turn it to the Full Open position (clockwise), it points to the 6 o'clock position (straight to the floor). The 3 o'clock position is my low point.

Reactions: Highbeam and lsucet
I cannot get the link to work or I would have pasted the information here. I am referring to a link within the e-mail they sent me from Fire-Cat Combustors titled
WoodStove_Usage_Guide
it supposedly has tips to help you make your cat last longer.
In that "helpful Tips " section towards the end they state that if you build a fire (in height) too close to the cat you will get flame impingement issues and drastically shorten the life of your cat. They recommend burning no more that 2 or 3 pieces of wood at a time ??? and learning to set the thermostat as low as possible for the absolute longest burn times.
I run my wood stack in my stove as high as I can get it putting in every piece I can. Like you all do we stuff in every piece we can get in there. I have seen many photos showing how full the stove is many times You even call it "firewood Jenga " or "woodstove Tetris" Is that perforated flame shield protecting us from this issue? Or better yet is this an issue at all? with BK stoves I am assuming no...

I cannot get the link to work or I would have pasted the information here. I am referring to a link within the e-mail they sent me from Fire-Cat Combustors titled
WoodStove_Usage_Guide
it supposedly has tips to help you make your cat last longer.
In that "helpful Tips " section towards the end they state that if you build a fire (in height) too close to the cat you will get flame impingement issues and drastically shorten the life of your cat. They recommend burning no more that 2 or 3 pieces of wood at a time ??? and learning to set the thermostat as low as possible for the absolute longest burn times.
I run my wood stack in my stove as high as I can get it putting in every piece I can. Like you all do we stuff in every piece we can get in there. I have seen many photos showing how full the stove is many times You even call it "firewood Jenga " or "woodstove Tetris" Is that perforated flame shield protecting us from this issue? Or better yet is this an issue at all? with BK stoves I am assuming no...
Remember it is written to cover many stove designs. In order avoid flame impingement, some but not all mfgs us a flame shield to help prevent impingement. Just as not all units are designed to help prevent the combustor from reaching 1600F.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.