2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
The so big satisfaction from BK owners is exactly what brings me here, one satisfied owner is good but as many satisfied ones like for the BK products is certainly not the fruit of the hazard. I think that all ( probably all ) wood stoves have some good points and lower ones , find the one fitting each owners preferences is the question. Good to have forums cause the stove manufacturers informations lead sometimes to unsatisfactions.
Anyway, wood stoves are boxes for burning wood but some have different technology placing them on different levels.
Some of the levels are more different than you'd think. (Though they did get this perennial junkpile though EPA certification again somehow.)

012685012698_07806458.jpg
The fact that they used a photo of a bad install for a promotional photo is icing on the cake there. ;lol

nortcan

Burning Hunk
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec
Some of the levels are more different than you'd think. (Though they did get this perennial junkpile though EPA certification again somehow.)

View attachment 278362
The fact that they used a photo of a bad install for a promotional photo is icing on the cake there. ;lol
I thank you very much for your comment but, being A french Québecois with limited translation ability , could you please explain me what you mean by : **(Though they did get this junkpile though EPA certification again somehow)** ?

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
I thank you very much for your comment but, being A french Québecois with limited translation ability , could you please explain me what you mean by : **(Though they did get this junkpile though EPA certification again somehow)** ?
It's a famously bad stove. Boxwoods are known for poor quality control, durability, and not being especially controllable. There's plenty of threads about them here if you're curious.

There were new EPA emissions standards for this year, so the fact that a similar-looking stove is still for sale means that they made some changes and got the revised model to pass the emissions tests. (Though emissions tests are easier to pass at high burn rates, and a single burn rate stove that is famous for air leaks will definitely have a high burn rate.)

Maybe the new one's better, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They did change the name, so maybe they fixed some of the problems too.

Reactions: Alpine1

GreenMountain

Nov 5, 2017
Bozeman MT
I'd probably hammer and file that original tee nut back into service, just use anti-sieze on it from here on out. Finding a new one isn't going to be a matter of going down to Home Depot. (They do sell tee nuts but they're punched for use in wood.)
You're right - but I decided to abandon the whole weld nut/tee nut idea. It just seems like it's going to be a pain in the future, unless I grind flats on the nut first. The local Ace had a variety, but most were punched as you say.

If you have a pair of calipers handy, measure the diameter of the fastener and the spacing between threads (I like to measure 10 threads and divide by 10 to reduce measurement errors).
It turns out to be simple - 1/4 by 20. I replaced everything with stainless, using a pair of jam nuts. The handle hole is a lot bigger than 1/4 (forgot to measure) so I lined it with a sleeve. Works great! Naturally it's too warm for a fire now.

Attachments

Reactions: lsucet and jetsam

BKVP

Minister of Fire
The so big satisfaction from BK owners is exactly what brings me here, one satisfied owner is good but as many satisfied ones like for the BK products is certainly not the fruit of the hazard. I think that all ( probably all ) wood stoves have some good points and lower ones , find the one fitting each owners preferences is the question. Good to have forums cause the stove manufacturers informations lead sometimes to unsatisfactions.
Anyway, wood stoves are boxes for burning wood but some have different technology placing them on different levels.
Under Promise: Over Deliver

BKVP

Reactions: nortcan

kf6hap

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2016
Nevada City,Ca.
Stainless steel galls badly during disassembly. I would suggest using anti seize.

Reactions: Alpine1

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Well, Thats a wrap for me this season 20-21 burn season was very successful. probably my best year as far as decreased wood consumption, clean burning, and heat output. Thank you BK staff & reps for making a great product, and thank you Chris for giving me that pep talk back in January when I had a lot of questions about cat life and performance. Cant wait till next season.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Well, Thats a wrap for me this season 20-21 burn season was very successful. probably my best year as far as decreased wood consumption, clean burning, and heat output. Thank you BK staff & reps for making a great product, and thank you Chris for giving me that pep talk back in January when I had a lot of questions about cat life and performance. Cant wait till next season.
Thank you....enjoy the warm weather. Utah and Wyoming this week.....

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
Thant most definitelycan contribute to the smoke issue....you'll need 2" wide masking tape as well. Wrap it like this...tape will burn off with fire.
I'm a bit surprised by the "tape will burn off with fire" - not surprised that it'll burn, but given the "don't burn trash" mantra (and the "no glossy paper"), apparently the occasional plastic (tape) is not that bad (immediately) for the cat?