2020/21 VC Owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This is the place for all things Vermont Castings, picking up from last season's thread here:

ill christen the post with another question... Im installing a new thermostat assembly for the primary air control level on a defiant encore 2190. It WILL NOT stay open, instead it springs back to closed when i let go of the handle. Anyone know what im doing wrong?? I really hope this stove is worth all the trouble its been so far before even using the thing lol

Hi all!
Hope you all had a decent summer given the circumstances.....
Lets put them wood through our temperamental units and share our ideas with new folks chiming in. Just had my second fire of the season this morning (it was miserable, 49 windy and raining). House is nice and toasty.

Reactions: Reckless and frased
Hello All,

Wondering if anybody has a proven method for testing a bimetal thermostat in a Vermont castings model 1975 (2n1) that does not require stove teardown. In my stove getting to the thermostat requires removing the top and internal air passage castings (I have heard older models had a simple cap to expose the bimetal). I tried removing the thermostat handle and heating the shaft with a propane torch, no movement from the air inlet damper. Not sure that method would be effective as the bimetal is a huge fin, not sure I can pump enough heat into the shaft to heat the bimetal coil.

I would prefer to heat the coil directly, but I can't get to it without a partial teardown.....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello All,

Wondering if anybody has a proven method for testing a bimetal thermostat in a Vermont castings model 1975 (2n1) that does not require stove teardown. In my stove getting to the thermostat requires removing the top and internal air passage castings (I have heard older models had a simple cap to expose the bimetal). I tried removing the thermostat handle and heating the shaft with a propane torch, no movement from the air inlet damper. Not sure that method would be effective as the bimetal is a huge fin, not sure I can pump enough heat into the shaft to heat the bimetal coil.

I would prefer to heat the coil directly, but I can't get to it without a partial teardown.....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am not sure how the 1975 2in1 is put together. I would imagine the bimetal coil is somewhere past the cat. What is the purpose of your exercise?

The 1975 only has one coil, it sits in the inlet air passage on the right side of the box. The shaft attached to the center of the coil is the inlet air control lever. There is no active air control for the cat.

Purpose is to determine if the coil is working as it should. I have had issues where the cat temp gets very hot sometimes, but not always. Primary burn is generally under control and not overheating. seems unlikely the issues is the bimetal but if I can check it easily and rule it out....

Hi All... new potential VC owner here. I am looking at purchasing an INTREPID II and have found one with a base that I have never seen on a VC before. Instead of the normal 4 feet, this one has a full cast iron skirt, SEE PHOTOS. Does this look familiar to anyone? I can not find another photo of a VC with such a base? got any ideas of the model? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.26.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.26.39 PM.png
    744.9 KB · Views: 353
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.39.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 6.39.00 PM.png
    793 KB · Views: 379
Reactions: theora55
Hello,

We recently purchased an antique house that came with a VC Encore 2550 that we think is from 1995/96 (jharkin's threads have been immensely helpful!), and aren't planning to replace the stove this winter.

The prior owners seemed to have not properly maintained the stove and we are replacing the cat and the refractory panel. We have not fired it up yet.

I was looking around today and noticed that the lower fireback had this small crack on it - photo attached - is this a big concern? Also, how can I determined how "warped" the firebacks are?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-5855.jpg
    IMG-5855.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 425
Yes
You should replace the fireback as well. They are not that expensive.

Reactions: Reckless
Good day everyone, looking for some help with encore flexburn 2040. Been burning for 5 yrs using inferno stove top meter. I just installed a condar flue gard probe today. I never received the cat probe that goes in back but I’ve read that the optimal reading is 1100. Does the same rule apply for this flue gard? I ask because 1100 is in the red on this condar and I don’t want to overheat. Any tips help, thank you

Good day everyone, looking for some help with encore flexburn 2040. Been burning for 5 yrs using inferno stove top meter. I just installed a condar flue gard probe today. I never received the cat probe that goes in back but I’ve read that the optimal reading is 1100. Does the same rule apply for this flue gard? I ask because 1100 is in the red on this condar and I don’t want to overheat. Any tips help, thank you
Forgot to mention the condar probe says optimal reading is 400-800

1100 in the stove pipe is way to hot. thats a reading for the cat probe. You can use an alber at100 for a cat.prove and as far as a flu temp I go with 400 to 500

Back in rebuild mode.... found a bolt loose on the upper, went to tighten it and it snapped......... kinda glad I went rope over cement on my rebuild. Drilled and tapped to a larger bolt. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Attachments

• 2424240D-B507-4815-9D1A-2B3780026BE7.jpeg
    2424240D-B507-4815-9D1A-2B3780026BE7.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 382
  • 191F6A2B-6E91-4544-8AE3-DE80F28CA20B.jpeg
    191F6A2B-6E91-4544-8AE3-DE80F28CA20B.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 343
  • 6DD35C64-2708-423E-96BC-08057C09136E.jpeg
    6DD35C64-2708-423E-96BC-08057C09136E.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 351
  • B41C7729-412A-491F-B51B-81018DF5767A.jpeg
    B41C7729-412A-491F-B51B-81018DF5767A.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 593B5853-DC77-4CDD-9BFF-008A087FBE3E.jpeg
    593B5853-DC77-4CDD-9BFF-008A087FBE3E.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 348
Any opinions on the use of these SS bolts shown above.

Any opinions on the use of these SS bolts shown above.
We are in the middle of designing a hot form press that utilizes SS and one of the main concerns is that dissimilar metals expand and contract at different rates. If the stainless expands at a faster rate you main run the risk of cracking the female material, on the contrast if it expands slower it may loosen over time. We are using 300 series SS and over 24' we are expecting a total of 3" of expansion...just food for thought.

Reactions: Reckless
So this year I bought gasket kit and replaced for the doors, glass, griddle, ashpan, flue collar, damper. The damper was the hardest. I ended up applying the cement with my finger onto the fireback and thought it would do. But realized the bottom of damper does not create tight seal like the rest of the sides. There’s a nice little visible gap see pic below. It sits too high once closed like the bottom of the damper is almost level with the top of fireback! if I can only bring it down then I think I’m in business. *Can someone please tell me if there is a way to adjust it to go down so I can have a tight seal??(Encore 2n1 2040) thank you

Attachments

• 1AD8E535-DC9E-4CA4-B9CE-799AA0788465.jpeg
    1AD8E535-DC9E-4CA4-B9CE-799AA0788465.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 34153D23-8799-4E42-806F-37823337686B.jpeg
    34153D23-8799-4E42-806F-37823337686B.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 356
So this year I bought gasket kit and replaced for the doors, glass, griddle, ashpan, flue collar, damper. The damper was the hardest. I ended up applying the cement with my finger onto the fireback and thought it would do. But realized the bottom of damper does not create tight seal like the rest of the sides. There’s a nice little visible gap see pic below. It sits too high once closed like the bottom of the damper is almost level with the top of fireback! if I can only bring it down then I think I’m in business. *Can someone please tell me if there is a way to adjust it to go down so I can have a tight seal??(Encore 2n1 2040) thank you
Well here is the back, I would think these tabs are loose or bent. You might be able to check them from the front with the door open. Hope the door isn’t warped....

Attachments

• B62C4B15-DB2E-4974-818D-7D8F69D98E2A.jpeg
    B62C4B15-DB2E-4974-818D-7D8F69D98E2A.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 1A9E89FA-A6C4-4AA1-BB07-9098DDD10B33.jpeg
    1A9E89FA-A6C4-4AA1-BB07-9098DDD10B33.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 336
Well here is the back, I would think these tabs are loose or bent. You might be able to check them from the front with the door open. Hope the door isn’t warped....
I’ve seen them. I definitely loosened One of those through the flue collar to get damper off track so I can cement fireback. I’m thinking I may have not tightened it back all the way. If I need to, is it difficult to get the whole damper out? I assume I would have to take the top off

I’ve seen them. I definitely loosened One of those through the flue collar to get damper off track so I can cement fireback. I’m thinking I may have not tightened it back all the way. If I need to, is it difficult to get the whole damper out? I assume I would have to take the top off
Can you get the flue collar back off easily to take a look? Probably can get everything you need to through there. I’ve done the full gasket through the flue collar opening before.

Reactions: redman
To me it looks like your damper is starting to warp. Not sure on the 2040 but very common on older models. It happens due to over firing the stove. I would use thicker gasket in that problem area.

Reactions: redman and Reckless
Status
Not open for further replies.