2020/21 VC Owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my house fully insulated all the walls and attic... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I can now heat my entire house with just the stove and it’s noticeably more evenly heated throughout. It’s going to be a different winter for me this season!

Congratulations.. its nice to like in a well insulated house.. bet the heat feels better..

Reactions: frased
Several years ago i bought one of the steel cats. It was one of the diesel foil ones or something like that. It totally deformed after one month of use. I will stick with ceramic for both stoves.

I picked one up and had it delivered.. Im going to try it out.. did the cat not light off like it should.. did it run to hot or something

I picked one up and had it delivered.. Im going to try it out.. did the cat not light off like it should.. did it run to hot or something
If I remember correctly people had issues with keeping it lit.

I was in the process of replacing the catalyst in my Encore 2550 and while doing so, I noticed the owners manual states to check the secondary air probe with a mirror. I cannot for the life of me locate the probe in the refractory. Where is the probe located?

Also, while I was searching the forums for the answer to that question, I see many people use an Auber AT100 to monitor catalyst temps, where do you install the at100 probe? My stove does have the rear heat shield installed and there is no catalyst probe currently installed that I would replace with the at100. Thanks all for the assistance.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.

The secondary air probe tip/end is located close to the bottom of the refractory box. Once you remove the cat, using a mirror you should be able to spot the tip of the probe. If you do not see it at all it means it burnt off and needs to be replaced. As for the cat probe, at the back of the stove, more less smack in the middle, same horizontal as the secondary air probe but in the middle of the stove you will find a small metal cap. Pop that off and there is your cat probe hole. You will need to put a drill bit (gently) through it and drill through the refractory box (just the back side). Since you have a heat shield, you ill need to drill that too. You will need a six inch probe rated 2000*f

Reactions: Reckless
The secondary air probe tip/end is located close to the bottom of the refractory box. Once you remove the cat, using a mirror you should be able to spot the tip of the probe. If you do not see it at all it means it burnt off and needs to be replaced. As for the cat probe, at the back of the stove, more less smack in the middle, same horizontal as the secondary air probe but in the middle of the stove you will find a small metal cap. Pop that off and there is your cat probe hole. You will need to put a drill bit (gently) through it and drill through the refractory box (just the back side). Since you have a heat shield, you ill need to drill that too. You will need a six inch probe rated 2000*f

Diabel, one last question, I think. Will the probe in the link work? I ask because it states maximum insertion is 3” with maximum transition area temp being 750 F.

Yes, that is the probe i have.

Do not use an actual drill for going through the refractory box. Just a bit and your finger tips. Also some of us have disconnected the secondary probe rod that controls the shutter. So in our case the secondary probe is basically just plugging a hole

I have a K type probe from condar connected to my AT100. It’s a shorter probe and will fit behind the heat shield without drilling a hole in it.

Reactions: Tcorriveau
Do not use an actual drill for going through the refractory box. Just a bit and your finger tips. Also some of us have disconnected the secondary probe rod that controls the shutter. So in our case the secondary probe is basically just plugging a hole

I ordered a new secondary probe because there was barely anything visible and the manual stated 1 to 1.5 inches should be visible

I ordered a new secondary probe because there was barely anything visible and the manual stated 1 to 1.5 inches should be visible
I don’t use the secondary either, I have it completely blocked with tinfoil and the shutter, and the EPA holes too.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the probe you have? I checked their site and can’t find a K type probe listed.
You have to go into the watchman link. It’s listed as “replacement probe and cable. The only reason I have this probe is because I had a condar before the AT100.

Attachments

• 54FED848-BC01-4C88-8F88-95EE52A0B8FD.png
    54FED848-BC01-4C88-8F88-95EE52A0B8FD.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 150
You have to go into the watchman link. It’s listed as “replacement probe and cable. The only reason I have this probe is because I had a condar before the AT100.
Do you have a link to the probe you have? I checked their site and can’t find a K type probe listed.

If you go this route you will have to cut off the connector on the condar probe and wire in the plug provided with the AT100.

Not the perfect place for this but this is the only place I’m active lol. 3cord cherry, white oak and ash strap was only precautionary measures cause the name fits me. Stay warm
I have an equally scary stack going myself. For the record I did not this so called shed. The previous owner of my property had a cow. He was a “not so handy” man.

Attachments

• B2A6081D-E39C-4859-BF42-575C27E4449F.jpeg
    B2A6081D-E39C-4859-BF42-575C27E4449F.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 152
Another question for all the VC owners out there. I have a VC Defiant Model 1975 in working condition and not in need of repair. What do you all think would be a good asking price if I were to list it?

When installing this probe, should it be visible under the cat or no?
It should not be in contact with the front of the refractory box though.

Status
Not open for further replies.