2020 Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nortcan

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec
Do someone have the new PH EPA 2020 with the new air control lever? If so how do you like it? I would like to see the entire new stove having the new air control on it, not just the air control as seen on Facebook.

Do someone have the new PH EPA 2020 with the new air control lever? If so how do you like it? I would like to see the entire new stove having the new air control on it, not just the air control as seen on Facebook.
I've been asking about the new air control system for a few months. I still haven't gotten an answer on when it will be available. It sounds like it is still in the "beta testing" stage.

In general how do you like/appreciate your PH, do having no front door give you some headaches I mean for loading heavy and long logs, for cleaning the glass, starting a new fire ( I supposed it's impossible to make a top down fire from the side door). Is the damper lever gets very hot to touch without gloves? I love to read all I can find about the PH so you can write pages about it and I would like to see some photos of you stove and installation... I you want to. I think that the PH is the/one of the best stove for now I can say that even if I have a Heritage , I sold my 9 monts old Castleton this week. I'm on the Coal Pail forum and opposite to the present forum, members send a lot of photos from their stoves/installation and keep on elaborating one subjects , not just : take and good by. Thank you toddnic

nortcan, we absolutely love our PH. We installed it in 2013 and it paid for itself within 2 1/2 years. I typically burn around 3 cords per year. It heats our 2,400 sq. ft. ranch-style home easily. We don't have any issue loading wood. It is really easy loading wood from the side and I don't have to worry about wood going up against the glass. FYI, you definitely want to get the ash pan.

Hi, new member here. I have just installed a new Progress Hybrid with the new air control at our cabin. I'm new to wood stoves and have only done a few initial break in fires so my comparisons to other stoves is pretty limited. I will say that the air control is smooth, intuitive to operate and provides what I thinks is a pretty good control of the air coming into the stove.

With the small fires I've been doing, I haven't got the air control much past the 50% point. If I go too far closing air down, I don't seem to have enough air to keep things going real good. I'm burning Ponderosa pine and Alligator juniper here in Arizona and our cabin sits around 7000 ft. The stove has a double wall pipe and an overall 22 ft flue / chimney.

We are headed back up there tomorrow morning and am going to do my first big fire in the stove. Wish me luck!

nortcan, we absolutely love our PH. We installed it in 2013 and it paid for itself within 2 1/2 years. I typically burn around 3 cords per year. It heats our 2,400 sq. ft. ranch-style home easily. We don't have any issue loading wood. It is really easy loading wood from the side and I don't have to worry about wood going up against the glass. FYI, you definitely want to get the ash pan.
Thank you.
Hi, new member here. I have just installed a new Progress Hybrid with the new air control at our cabin. I'm new to wood stoves and have only done a few initial break in fires so my comparisons to other stoves is pretty limited. I will say that the air control is smooth, intuitive to operate and provides what I thinks is a pretty good control of the air coming into the stove.

With the small fires I've been doing, I haven't got the air control much past the 50% point. If I go too far closing air down, I don't seem to have enough air to keep things going real good. I'm burning Ponderosa pine and Alligator juniper here in Arizona and our cabin sits around 7000 ft. The stove has a double wall pipe and an overall 22 ft flue / chimney.

We are headed back up there tomorrow morning and am going to do my first big fire in the stove. Wish me luck!
Thanks Chediski. You can burn alligator down in Az (LOL)? I didn't even know peoples in Az were needing heat from a sove, you know I'm in Québec... If you can please take a few photos showing the entire stove from the front and from right front so we can see how looks the air control. Oh yes, good luck...

Nortcan, no Arizona can't compete with Quebec for cold! In the mountains we do get cool though. Will take some pictures and post in a few days.

As promised, attached are a few pics on my stove with the updated air control.
20210217_131541.jpg20210217_131550.jpg20210217_144608.jpg

Reactions: mar13
( I supposed it's impossible to make a top down fire from the side door)

I don't have a PH, but I do have a stove that I load exclusively from the side door. Top down starts work just fine. They do tend to start by the loading door and then migrate towards the middle shortly thereafter, but that isn't a problem.

I don't have a PH, but I do have a stove that I load exclusively from the side door. Top down starts work just fine. They do tend to start by the loading door and then migrate towards the middle shortly thereafter, but that isn't a problem.
Thanks orlkc, just to know : why do you load the Heritage from the side door? I have one and make the top down from the front and use the side door for a full loading.

Thanks orlkc, just to know : why do you load the Heritage from the side door? I have one and make the top down from the front and use the side door for a full loading.

I find it much easier for a couple reasons. Many of my splits are a bit wider than the front door, which isn't a problem for the side door. Also much less of a mess opening the side door -- no ash falls out there ever. I only open the front door once a week or so to clean out ash and clean the white haze off of the glass.

Reactions: nortcan
As promised, attached are a few pics on my stove with the updated air control.
I was hoping to upgrade and add the air control to my Progress this season, but it's feeling like I have to buy the stove with it. Smart marketing!;)

I was hoping to upgrade and add the air control to my Progress this season, but it's feeling like I have to buy the stove with it. Smart marketing!;)
forgot to tell you : the best for you would be to sell me your PH and get the new one...you gain and I gain.