2020 wood harvest is looking great.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Microduck17

Burning Hunk
Dec 21, 2017
New Concord Ohio
The past 3 years I've had a hard time getting ahead on my wood supply. This year I've gained access to a 10 acre woodlot less than a mile from my house that was primarily ash before the EAB worked it over, now there are over 100 standing dead ash trees all free for the taking. The landowner said that I can harvest all the wood I want as long as I will also cut and split a few cords for him each year. I've got half of his next seasons wood already split and loaded on my trailer ready to deliver when his yard drys up. On top of that my uncle inherited 80 acres only about 15 minutes from my place and wants me to cut about 12 trees from where he is planning to build his home. Plus he says every dead, dying, or damaged tree on the property is mine. These two locations will have me busy every weekend from now till who knows when.

Attachments

• 20200303_145857.jpg
    20200303_145857.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200303_145821.jpg
    20200303_145821.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 230
The past 3 years I've had a hard time getting ahead on my wood supply. This year I've gained access to a 10 acre woodlot less than a mile from my house that was primarily ash before the EAB worked it over, now there are over 100 standing dead ash trees all free for the taking. The landowner said that I can harvest all the wood I want as long as I will also cut and split a few cords for him each year. I've got half of his next seasons wood already split and loaded on my trailer ready to deliver when his yard drys up. On top of that my uncle inherited 80 acres only about 15 minutes from my place and wants me to cut about 12 trees from where he is planning to build his home. Plus he says every dead, dying, or damaged tree on the property is mine. These two locations will have me busy every weekend from now till who knows when.
Nice work @Microduck17 , that will keep you busy.

I love cutting and processing firewood but I'm getting the feeling that I will have all of it I want and some I don't. I'm hoping to put up 3 years worth of wood this year. My splitter has a pump rated at 3600 rpm but the engine I have maxes out at 2200. I think I will use a jackshaft with belts to get the pump speed up to 3600 and shorten the cycle time wile keeping the big Wisconsin in its happy zone at 1800 rpm. This boon in firewood is going to be a trial by fire for my system and show me any areas that have room for improvement. I can't wait for dry conditions so I can really hit it hard.

Update on the firewood harvest. I've got a bit over 4 cord CSS for the landowner and now its time for my supply. I dropped a big dead ash that was threatening his house. That made him so happy he actually paid me for removing it. Today I blazed a trail into the first stand of dead ash trees and tomorrow I'll hook up the brush hog and make a path and clear an area to set up my splitter. This is going to be fun I love to brush hog!