2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: charger4406
Chris why bother with used when you can just back up to your loading dock and get a new one? 12 feet horizontal would any stove work with that setup? great deal otherwise.

Chris why bother with used when you can just back up to your loading dock and get a new one? 12 feet horizontal would any stove work with that setup? great deal otherwise.
I have spoken to Chris personally on the telephone, after going back and fourth for a like an hour, my impression of him is a man that believes in the products that he sells, why fix something that is not broken.

2rd Season on my KE40! You my recall my 1102 cat was 10 years old when I replaced it. I donated that stove and got an 1107. Ran that 10 years. Put a V.3 cat in that at 5 years. Remember Ashful?, he was running a V.3 in one of his 2 Ashfords and providing us Intel. Donated my 1107 to a local family and put a KE40 in late 2019....only Webby3660 changes stoves more frequently.
Chris, you ever hear from Ashful ??
i asked about him a couple of times last season, but no one had heard from/about him..
Hope he’s ok..

Reactions: Alpine1
Chris, you ever hear from Ashful ??
i asked about him a couple of times last season, but no one had heard from/about him..
Hope he’s ok..
I hate to say I was never able to get an answer at his home. I did have all his info and once I dropped by his home to say hello and he wasn't home. I too hoped he was ok, but to this day, never got a VM or an answer. I'll try once more right now....

HIs number has been assigned to a new party. No further details. Hopefully he'll pop up someday!

Reactions: charger4406
Wouldn't count on it, there's a Nor'Easter heading your way.

It's here already. Heavy rain (@begreen, my class A oil furnace pipe is not leaking anymore after sealing the vertical seam , thank you!), some wind.

And 63 F. Nor'Easters are not always cold...
(Moreover, my saved solar electrons will carry the load with a minisplit for the foreseeable future. Likely first bit of heating tomorrow morning. I only light the stove when it's 40 F or below or so. Or when it itches too much and I need to tend to my fire addiction...)

Reactions: Tron
And 63 F. Nor'Easters are not always cold...
(Moreover, my saved solar electrons will carry the load with a minisplit for the foreseeable future. Likely first bit of heating tomorrow morning. I only light the stove when it's 40 F or below or so. Or when it itches too much and I need to tend to my fire addiction...)
I'm not familiar with your neck of the woods, but somehow I imagined them being mostly snowstorms.

I fire up the stove as soon as the house cools off enough for the heat to kick in in the morning. That could be at 50ish overnight. Even if it goes up to 75 in the afternoon. Just half a load burning from 6-12 totally does the trick. Otherwise the heat would have to run at least an hour during that time.

Reactions: stoveliker
I Let the stove burn out today while I was at work and cleaned out the ashes. Then I was going to vacuum the fly ash off the cat when I noticed some of the center cells have some minor deformation.

What do you guys think?

20211026-154330.jpg

and a close up on the worst spot.

20211026-154245.jpg

I've been running it low and the cat needle is often passed max when cooking reloads but settles into 3/4 range after a hour or so.

Im thinking it's from manufacturer but Ive never looked at the cat before operating the stove so I have nothing to compare it to.

I got the stove brand new in September I hope I didn't over fire the cat

I Let the stove burn out today while I was at work and cleaned out the ashes. Then I was going to vacuum the fly ash off the cat when I noticed some of the center cells have some minor deformation.

What do you guys think?

20211026-154330.jpg

and a close up on the worst spot.

20211026-154245.jpg

I've been running it low and the cat needle is often passed max when cooking reloads but settles into 3/4 range after a hour or so.

Im thinking it's from manufacturer but Ive never looked at the cat before operating the stove so I have nothing to compare it to.

I got the stove brand new in September I hope I didn't over fire the cat

Couldn't this be deformation because of whatever is covering the top middle? That inhibits flow, and thus it's cooler in that area. That creates strain. And possibly deformation (though is this a ceramic substrate cat? I'm surprised they deform rather than crack...)

Regardless, the rest will work fine if the active surface coating is still present.

If this is creosote coating the top part, then something is not going exactly as it should - I'd engage the cat a bit later (hotter).

Couldn't this be deformation because of whatever is covering the top middle? That inhibits flow, and thus it's cooler in that area. That creates strain. And possibly deformation (though is this a ceramic substrate cat? I'm surprised they deform rather than crack...)

Regardless, the rest will work fine if the active surface coating is still present.

If this is creosote coating the top part, then something is not going exactly as it should - I'd engage the cat a bit later (hotter).
Looks like a piece of gasket to me..

The stove is still a new toy I want to fiddle with things but it's pretty much set it and forget it.

I dont think the cat is damaged or needs replacing just curious about the bending of the cells right at the joint of both catalysts.

Oh ya I'm still running it.

2021-10-2617.28.532543404789131760934.jpg

Reactions: Nealm66
For curiosity's sake.
Does a anybody know what type of mortar or sealant is used to glue the 2 pieces of cat together?
No mortar, just gaskets and banded..

Reactions: circle_burner
The stove is still a new toy I want to fiddle with things but it's pretty much set it and forget it.

I dont think the cat is damaged or needs replacing just curious about the bending of the cells right at the joint of both catalysts.

Oh ya I'm still running it.

View attachment 284116
I see you crossed stack your fuel load. Is this a practice you use often? Do others cross stack? Chime in please....

No (t yet?).

Though that will happen this year as I have some wood that's slightly too long for N/S loading due to the previous, larger (in width, not cubic feet) stove.

Reactions: BKVP
I see you crossed stack your fuel load. Is this a practice you use often? Do others cross stack? Chime in please....
Only for the partial loads during shoulder seasons. Need a tall fuel load without too much fuel.

Reactions: circle_burner
Status
Not open for further replies.