2026 severe weather

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There was a mass heat incident in Reading, PA, yesterday. This one strikes close to heart. Hundreds were gathered to watch the Big Boy locomotive pass through town. I did this as a kid and later with my kids when one of these big machines came to town. Unfortunately, standing for an hour or two in this heat had a seriously bad effect. More than a hundred had to be treated for heat related issues.

Please be smart and pay attention to the potential effects of this heat wave.
Heat affects over 100 waiting for train
 
My parents have never had AC in their house, never really needed it NH. They are also of the culture that was brought up to despise air conditioners.
I get worried about them in this heat. On Wednesday I offered to lend them two of my old window rattlers that I no longer use. They were resistant but I was able to convince my mom to give it a try so I went up and put one in the bedroom window. I guess the jury is still out on whether they appreciated that or not.
 
Yesterday evening we were at the beach here (from the fireworks of the rich folks that are willing to pay 40 grand in property taxes per year). I had seen lightning across the water and knew a storm was coming in. Poor reception on the phone tho as we were below a tall cliff.

In the end the wind came up very quickly. From quiet to 50 mph or more in 20 seconds. Right at the same time as an emergency alert on the phone of a severe thunderstorm with 80 mph winds. Everyone stood up at the same time,.was a funny sight.
Luckily we had parked the car nearby rather than walked the half mile so we were in the car quickly.

Coming home the power was out. Bummer as we had left without a key thru the garage door that now didn't open.
Dodging branches we drove four blocks to a friend with a key.

Got some more gas for the generator this morning and saw quite a few 1 foot diameter oak (and thicker locust) twisted off their trunks.

Power is supposed to be back at 2 pm. We'll see. It's luckily not 90+ anymore. Sticky inside tho.
 
Last edited:
I'm glad your family is ok. Friends up in NW CT are reporting significant damage there. The storm came up in seconds with no warning.
One person posted this picture of what looks like a twister trying to form.

[Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
 
Yes, I've heard some folks with quite some damage from trees here.
And some where only 1/4" sticks came down.

Interesting that it was similarly quick in its arrival in CT.
 
This morning's online news in the Lakeville Journal. We have friends in Falls Village and have not heard from them. They may still be without power.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: stoveliker
Our estimated repair time is now 7 pm
 
Our power is back on.
It was not hot outside but very humid. Mowed the lawn (with all the generators no one would be bothered by my mower anyway), and I'm soaked.
Now drying off in the AC.
 
We didn’t go to the far end of the lake for town fireworks, but knew some folks that were going to have a contest on who could spend more on fireworks. I bet they both put 15-20 grand into it. It was a better presentation than many towns put up.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
    IMG_0067.webp
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
When it was still peaceful, looking east.
And the aftermath one block down from us. The deer (another one was behind the standing tree) do like some maple leaves!
Saw 5 deer eating from different downed maples on our nightly walk tonight.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
    IMG_20260704_195927938_HDR~2.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 28
  • [Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
    IMG_20260705_195726975_HDR.webp
    940.1 KB · Views: 28
  • [Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
    IMG_20260705_195729957_HDR.webp
    862.5 KB · Views: 33
  • [Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
    IMG_20260705_195756273_HDR.webp
    880.2 KB · Views: 33
The fireworks in all the surrounding towns went on forever last night. They started about 9:30 and went until midnight.

Seattle had a pretty awesome display. My son got to see it from a great spot. We stayed at home.
This is a shot by Sigma Sreedharan. She took some spectacular photos.

[Hearth.com] 2026 severe weather
 
Last edited:
Nor'easter rolling into the Northeast tomorrow, figured I'd bump this up.

I am prepped in case we loose power at the family vac home on the Cape. I'm in the process of building them a "battery backup/ power station back fed with an inverter generator. Unfortunately the 10kw power station won't be here for another 2 weeks.
 
There may be a strong blow hitting the South Sound tomorrow. It depends on how the low in the Pacific tracks. The coast looks like it may be seeing gale force winds. With leaves still on the trees, there will be some limbs coming down. I'll charge the car up tonight to bank some reserve kwhs.
 
I think we are lucking out compared to out east, seems like maybe an inch of rain for us with up to 40mph gusts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
Our forecast totals keep "inching" upward. Last time I checked we were getting about an inch total but now it says we're getting an inch Saturday and another 1-1/4" Sunday. I guess we'll find out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
Well, we have sunshine forecast for the next ten days, frost, yes, but warm days
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
I was at the beach today. I do see some showers coming next week. Getting outdoor projects done.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
Checked the generator, regroundanchored (...) the trampoline that will be given away soon.
They say gusts with hurricane force winds possible here
Leaves still on the trees so there will be wood coming down.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
Checked the generator, regroundanchored (...) the trampoline that will be given away soon.
They say gusts with hurricane force winds possible here
Leaves still on the trees so there will be wood coming down.
I was checking it out:
You never now what exactly it could be like. I know out west in California they have had very high water and on shore winds.
Some warning is always appreciated, but we all need to have the basic stuff in place.
 
Checked the generator, regroundanchored (...) the trampoline that will be given away soon.
They say gusts with hurricane force winds possible here
Leaves still on the trees so there will be wood coming down.
I need to run mine tomorrow. Did a full service in August, but that means nothing in September. We are 20 miles inland here, but the house on the cape is about 3 miles inland on 3 sides. The fourth side is 6 miles. Hopefully the storm goes easy on all of us.

The wind worries me the most. Trees fully leafed and a couple inches of rain and "hurricane force winds" are a recipe for bad things to happen!
 
Well today is Put Away Day! Anything that can blow around gets put away or secured today. Have to get out and enjoy the day. I don't want to be out in it, if possible. At least we won't have to shovel it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: stoveliker
Well, if I don't have to shovel sawdust due to this day, then all is good indeed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
The cliff here on the Sound is going to see some significant erosion as the high tide is pushed into the sound.and the waves are high
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991