25 bags left before I return to burning oil for this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hot-n-bothered said:
keep your pellets dry boys.... $2.00 oil aint gonna last very long..
You're right, it's already down to $1.659 a gallon. ;)

Regardless of the price of oil, $300 or even $275 is just way too much for a ton of pellets IMO (especially given the added work involved) and I absolutely refuse to support these prices with my hard earned dollars. When I first started burning pellets about 9 years ago, I was paying around $100 a ton in the northeast. Since then, prices have been all over the map, just like with oil. I understand some volatility in the market should be expected, but this is just plain horse poop. Electricity rates haven't increased like this and there certainly hasn't been this level of volatility with electricity either. I got off oil last year because I was sick of all the BS games being played within that industry, and I'm now at about that same point with pellets.

I've recommend pellet burning to a lot of people in the past, but while this might still be a good choice for some, I'm finding it harder and harder to recommend pellets to folks given the pricing volatility over the years.

Heating oil is $2.517 add .20 per gal for winter mix(outside storage tank).
So far it is still cheaper to use pellets.
OIL = $19.59 per 1 million btu (@2.71 gal)
Pellets = $17.94 per 1 million btu (@296 a ton)

Status
Not open for further replies.