25-PDV too much heat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NorthernFrog

Mar 7, 2017
Whitehorse
Hello. Am completely new to pellet stoves.
I am renting a mobile home for a couple of months while the owners are travelling.
In Yukon winters, the owners run the stove on 1-1
Mind you, it is -35 Celsius outside, and this is a mobile home!
(there is an add-on which has a smaller pellet stove who's heat does not reach original part)

On 1-1, the indoor temp since I moved in (2 days) is 21 Celsius. That is WAY too hot for me!
I turned off the blower, now I'm at 1-0. Now it's 20 Celsius, still way too hot.
Now less unbearable and less noisy (blower on 1 is like a microwave sound, blower on 0 is just barely less than microwave sound), this is very loud to me! I'd never want to run a microwave all day long!

I've read most of the 25-PDV posts here, and looked at three bottom buttons.
Mine are : LFF 5 LBA 9 AOT 9
I don't know which year this stove is, labels in back are nearly impossible to get at.
I've lowered to LFF 3.
The flames are moderately smaller (they were HUGE before), but inside temp is still 20 Celsius (outside -35 Celsius)

These settings seem really high compared to other posts!

When temperature gets back to -10 Celsius, I won't be able to use this! and starting and stopping it constantly does not seem desirable? I understand these are meant to run constant ?

Try to view the tag to confirm model and for year of manufacture using a small mirror then call England Stove works for accurate info on mode to run in (for that year and model) and the settings for the bottom 3. Support: 800-245-6489 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday; if that # doesn't work try # for Canada (902) 468-9608.
Resource page: http://www.heatredefined.com/support/
Can always use the email option on the website...

Best to confirm with the manufacturer! Keep us posted.

The bottom of the hopper has a sliding metal plate. This can be used to restrict pellet flow. You may have to keep adjusting the fuel and air rates to see if things change. Also, the air on temp seems wrong. I've never seen one with air on temp of 9; its usually 1. In the end, you may have to use the stove intermittingly, doesn't hurt the stove.

I agree the aot should be 1 at all times. Like doghouse stated close the restrictor plate at the bottom of the hopper. Also lower your Lff another number. Something else you could do is a thermostat. I believe the pdv is capable of supporting one. I have a pdv but no thermostat and it can get over bearing on warmer days . My auto start never worked right from new so at-stat is out for me .

The bottom of the hopper has a sliding metal plate. This can be used to restrict pellet flow. You may have to keep adjusting the fuel and air rates to see if things change. Also, the air on temp seems wrong. I've never seen one with air on temp of 9; its usually 1. In the end, you may have to use the stove intermittingly, doesn't hurt the stove.
I noted that the numbers were way out of the norm but since I don't own this stove and have no practical experience, I suggested the contact with manufacturer. Curious as to what mode the stove is running in too ... Given his location, figure the owners used the max values to fight extremes in cold and trailer homes are notoriously cold to begin with (ask me how i know? ;)) Properly insulated skirting and better windows make a world of difference! This time of year, temps start to yo-yo. Had my stove off during most of the day a couple of days ago, winters back -14C/7F with wind making it worse.

I noted that the numbers were way out of the norm but since I don't own this stove and have no practical experience, I suggested the contact with manufacturer. Curious as to what mode the stove is running in too ... Given his location, figure the owners used the max values to fight extremes in cold and trailer homes are notoriously cold to begin with (ask me how i know? ;)) Properly insulated skirting and better windows make a world of difference! This time of year, temps start to yo-yo. Had my stove off during most of the day a couple of days ago, winters back -14C/7F with wind making it worse.
Agreed he is probably in c mode to get the most out of it.

I emailed the company on the same day you guys suggested, no answer yet. Last night, even though I only just moved in, I gave the stove its MONTHLY routine. The amount of dust that came out from all areas, filled a bucket! I poked my fingers behind every corner and vacuumed everything out. cleared both the burn plate (which was pretty cruddy) and behind the baffle.
Still at 20 Celsius inside, even with the -30 outside. Hopefully the company will have a suggestion, specially for when the weather goes back to March weather (Whitehorse is not usually -30s in March!)
At least I know it's cleaner than when they left!
Maybe next week I'll go for the seasonal cleaning routine.

So the A,B,C,D settings control the LFF, LBA, AOT ? or do they have an additional effect ?

I emailed the company on the same day you guys suggested, no answer yet. Last night, even though I only just moved in, I gave the stove its MONTHLY routine. The amount of dust that came out from all areas, filled a bucket! I poked my fingers behind every corner and vacuumed everything out. cleared both the burn plate (which was pretty cruddy) and behind the baffle.
Still at 20 Celsius inside, even with the -30 outside. Hopefully the company will have a suggestion, specially for when the weather goes back to March weather (Whitehorse is not usually -30s in March!)
At least I know it's cleaner than when they left!
Maybe next week I'll go for the seasonal cleaning routine.

So the A,B,C,D settings control the LFF, LBA, AOT ? or do they have an additional effect ?
No the mode settings are different then the lower 3 buttons. The mode controls the amount of fuel being delivered in the individual heat settings. The pdv usually runs in C mode but you can reduce the fuel consumption by changing to D mode in return you will be able to turn it down lower . Just a thought here. This winter my owner went out which killed the stove . When it came back on I did not realize that the mode switched to A mode for about a day. In A mode the stove was cooking me out of the house. Something to check. If you do a search on here there are numerous posts on the subject and the procedure to check the settings

As I understand it, ABCD settings are different programming modes as they use the same boards for their various stoves. They would effect all heat ranges while the LFF, LBA, AOT are settings that are specific to low heat ranges. Age of stove is relevant to settings too which is why I figured you should contact support. From what I recall AOT is always 1 per stoveguy2esw (Mike Holton head tech as England Stoves). Could try sending him a PM if you don't hear back; his email is in his signature line too ...

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...eed-rates-for-heat-ranges.85765/#post-1800540

Manual in case they didn't leave you one: http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/25-PDVEand25-PDV_CANADA.pdf

As I understand it, ABCD settings are different programming modes as they use the same boards for their various stoves. They would effect all heat ranges while the LFF, LBA, AOT are settings that are specific to low heat ranges. Age of stove is relevant to settings too which is why I figured you should contact support. From what I recall AOT is always 1 per stoveguy2esw (Mike Holton head tech as England Stoves). Could try sending him a PM if you don't hear back; his email is in his signature line too ...

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...eed-rates-for-heat-ranges.85765/#post-1800540

Manual in case they didn't leave you one: http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/25-PDVEand25-PDV_CANADA.pdf
Lake girl is correct she knows what she's talking about. , that's how it was explained to me also. I agree you should be talking to support they are great to work with.

For an 06, settings 6-4-1. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-pdv-25-is-burn-rate-too-high.9896/#post-193537

NorthernFrog, should check how the restrictor plate in the bottom of the hopper is set. It may take some fiddling so don't fill the hopper overly full. As with all changes, record original settings or position of the plate and record subsequent changes. Allow time for changes to be apparent - minimum 1/2 hour; 1 hour is better.

Were you able to get a year off the back plate?

Let us know what year, settings are recommended by ESW...