25min to re-establish draft this morning normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ajcoxen

Dec 6, 2022
Weirton, wv
New install and still having trouble.

I have 21’ of exterior class A, 24” of horizontal into 2 45° and 24” vertical into stove.

The chimney exits above my roof peak but about 12’ away toward the lower eave. I have about 7’ above the roof.

The Menards Supervent system came with a chimney cap that I installed but it’s to restrictive. So I took it off, great draft when it’s established which is very hard to do.

Supervent (Selkirk) is sending me a less restrictive cap to try.

This morning I had enough coals to start kindling but I filled stove with kindling and cardboard to help establish draft. It took 25min of the door cracked open and the fire starved for oxygen to finally start drafting and flame up.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on my chimney setup? Is it normal to have it that slow to start and draft?

60A02946-3EDB-4CE6-B078-E9C4A001476A.jpeg C1C8F708-7144-4950-8B68-DE9131EF7874.jpeg 79FAE024-F387-4E69-85FE-819F788CA1E2.png

Have you tried cracking a window near the stove?

What stove is this?

Is smoke spilling out of the stove during this time

Is smoke spilling out of the stove during this time
It’s a fine line of door adjustment. Open to far 100%. Would seem to me like none up the chimney.
Open door just a crack and the smoke is rolling near the opening but out the chimney. But the fire is suffocated for sure.

Looked at the manual quickly while monitoring my F45 startup. Are you sure the bypass is opening, that chimney should draft great.

is your wood dry?

Your chimney might be partially blocked with creosote if you've been having issues and burning bad for a while.

Reactions: bigealta
Yup How dry is your wood?

I had the twist on cap like in your pic and changed to the newer style retained by a ring. it is less restrictive but I didn't see any change in draft, just easier to remove for cleaning. I'd clean your chimney and see what happens. That is the only reason I've had poor draft is buildup of creosote.

Reactions: Ajcoxen
Does the quality of wood matter if my paper and cardboard aren’t even combusting completely?
Yes, because your chimney may be so gunked up from burning bad wood that you can’t establish draft anymore, even if you’re only using paper and cardboard.

A common buildup location is in the horizontal pipe and at the tee.

Reactions: wetwood4life
Probably not yet. This is a great illustration of what happens when hot flue gases hit the cold exterior chimney and do the draft-slowing 90º turn at the Tee..

Reactions: ct_administrator
New install and still having trouble.

I have 21’ of exterior class A, 24” of horizontal into 2 45° and 24” vertical into stove.

The chimney exits above my roof peak but about 12’ away toward the lower eave. I have about 7’ above the roof.

The Menards Supervent system came with a chimney cap that I installed but it’s to restrictive. So I took it off, great draft when it’s established which is very hard to do.

Supervent (Selkirk) is sending me a less restrictive cap to try.

This morning I had enough coals to start kindling but I filled stove with kindling and cardboard to help establish draft. It took 25min of the door cracked open and the fire starved for oxygen to finally start drafting and flame up.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on my chimney setup? Is it normal to have it that slow to start and draft?

View attachment 308350 View attachment 308351 View attachment 308352
draft is lower when cloudy, I noticed this

Wow you can tell or you have a guage?
( My opinion ) you would need an atmospheric pressure gauge, external, but I notice with dismay that there are no gizmos on amazon. The air when cloudy is less dense and probably the smoke has some similarity and does not escape, way up easily, like when there are no clouds, maybe some scholar can explain better, but only I noticed this? 😇

I have the Nova 2. I have to leave door open forever to get good fire going before shutting door. Fire can be ripping, I’ll shut the door and it will die right out.
Are you getting lots of smoke roll out when reloading wood with fire going?

Reactions: wetwood4life