3 cords gone. working on 4th

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I have about half a cord left of the 4 cords I had planned to burn this winter. I have more wood to burn if needed but it cuts into what I had set aside for next year. The mild weather has cut my burning a little but not much. more than anything it has simply meant that I don't have to run the heat system here. If I ever build a house I'm building it around a hearth. I'd probly burn less wood if it wasn't added as an after thought.

I use to have the problem of burning too much wood in the beginning of the heating season and running low or totaly out by March. If the house was comfortable it wasn't good enough, I had to see how hot I could get it, and so I burn more wood. Starting to curb that greed back a little now.

I'm constantly surprised that the amount of wood you burn has less to do with the weather than you might think. It seems that there's a certain amount of wood consumption "overhead" that you're going to use regardless of outside temps. You burn a little more over the course of an exceptionally cold winter, but not a lot more.

Has anybody else noticed that? Does it make any sense?

Eric Johnson said:
I'm constantly surprised that the amount of wood you burn has less to do with the weather than you might think. It seems that there's a certain amount of wood consumption "overhead" that you're going to use regardless of outside temps. You burn a little more over the course of an exceptionally cold winter, but not a lot more.

Has anybody else noticed that? Does it make any sense?

Totally agree. We burn the same amount whether is is a mild or cold winter since it is the only heat source.

If you get up in the morning and it is 20 degrees outstide you toss on the wood and let'er rip. No matter if it zooms up to sixty outside in a few hours. If you try to limp a fire along because it is warmer outside you end up having to call Roto Rooter to clean the chimney.

DavidV said:
I have about half a cord left of the 4 cords I had planned to burn this winter. I have more wood to burn if needed but it cuts into what I had set aside for next year. The mild weather has cut my burning a little but not much. more than anything it has simply meant that I don't have to run the heat system here. If I ever build a house I'm building it around a hearth. I'd probly burn less wood if it wasn't added as an after thought.

If I remember correctly David you are in Virginia. Year in and year out here we find five cords are the ration for a winter.

Unfortunately I only got four stacked this year. Looking at the bare pallets in February is not a pleasant sight.

Anybody know what effect burning lacquered oak furniture has on a chimney? Not kidding here.

Only been burning half a day, but now I understand why the guys who said I would need at least two cords for the winter even for part time burning weren't crazy.

I've used over three cord so far this season and ran out of wood today. the furnace has been kicking on and it's bitter cold out. I maned up and went and split my favorite split-n stump to ward off the cold. that old dry elm will keep us warm for a day or so. I need to call my buddy that works at the log home fab site and pick up some pine. it's free so I can't complaine. Next year I'm gonna stock up like Eric and try to heat a wal- mart. This weekend i'm fixn a trailer my dad sent my way, to haul wood and the like... next summer gonna be a wood gathern hoot-nannny good ol time.

I don't want another gas bill that could pay a car payment or buy food for three months or feed a child in a third world country for a year.

Well. I had only set aside about 4-4 1/2 cords for this year, but I have another 2-3 cords out there that are perfect for burning right now. And I have been splitting fairly steady all winter so I have at least 6 total cord sitting out there right now. I'll probly be out there running my saw at some point today or tomorrow.
In fact. I have all 3 kids home from school tomorrow so I might have to put them to work and get a load or two of wood. :>

i'm working on my 3rd cord now. just started burning it last week. running a 27 year old defiant. doesn't do bad on wood consumption if you know how to run it. been also running a small (some of you people block your ears now) scandia box stove in the basement on weekends. 3 to 4 splits fill that little guy. for about 2 to 3 hours. so all in all not doing bad on wood consumption thanks to the warm winter we've been having up here in mass. except for today. still in the low teens at almost 11:00 am. i don't think we'll crack 20 today.

We started burning just after christmas, and weve gone through 1-1/2 cords so far. still have a 1/2 cord sitting outside. Next year we plan on stocking up on any wood we can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.