3" pelletstove pipe to 6" triple wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firebirdlopi66

Oct 13, 2019
hey guys i need some help. I'm converting from wood stove to pellet stove. i used a triple wall chimney for my fireplace but now need to find a way to adapt a 3" duravent pellet stove pipe to a existing 6" tripple wall wood stove chimeny. so far as much as found out for adapters is the duravent 3PVL-X6 with a 6DVL-ADC adapter but it says it adapts to a double wall chimney not sure if this would work for a triple wall or class A chimeny?

Normally the adapter slides into the class A chimney
so it does not matter if the class a Chimney is 2 or 3 walls

Reactions: firebirdlopi66
Leave about 4 inches of the single wall pipe connected to the double wall. Slide the 6 to 3 adapter over the single wall, seal and screw it to the single wall. You can now adapt to the duravent.

I'm not using single wall. Pellet stove 3" duravent till about 6ft high then using the 3PVL-X6 and 6DVL-ADC assuming that is able to hook up to my existing triple wall chimney?

By this home depot web site
scroll down to bought together shows triple wall chimney pipe bought with DVL6 so should be good to go
Then you will need 3 to 6 double wall adapter

I'm not using single wall. Pellet stove 3" duravent till about 6ft high then using the 3PVL-X6 and 6DVL-ADC assuming that is able to hook up to my existing triple wall chimney?
If you leave 4 inches of the single wall connected to the double wall the 6 inch side of the 6 to 3 adapter will slide right over it.

too bad i saw this late in the discussion, but I would have pointed you to the olympia ventis pipe system. I used it to connect my 3" exhaust pellet stove pipe to an 8" class A chimney set up that was already there for a wood stove.

I bought them from the fireplace and chimney store online, GREAT couple running that online store. What i liked about this system the best, is that they had "slip sections" of pipes that allows you to slide them in and out to be the exact length you need. Since the chimney was already in place, it was a much easier job to install because of that slip section. They also come with a silicone gasket that does not require any paste/tape.

They have these adapters for that job:
cLSuzyA.png

I've heard triple wall doesn't work as well as double wall does, someone once tried to explain it to me but I'm not sure I wrapped my head around it. something along the line of (none class A triple wall can cause smoke to come back through the furnace/stove the inner most most pipe drafts the smoke out and the two outer layers will suck air back into the furnace/stove.) just curious if this is correct or not, or if i am missing something between the lines. Any feed back is good feed back. Thanks!

I've heard triple wall doesn't work as well as double wall does, someone once tried to explain it to me but I'm not sure I wrapped my head around it. something along the line of (none class A triple wall can cause smoke to come back through the furnace/stove the inner most most pipe drafts the smoke out and the two outer layers will suck air back into the furnace/stove.) just curious if this is correct or not, or if i am missing something between the lines. Any feed back is good feed back. Thanks!
They are talking about direct vent piping. Normally used for gas and propane stove. Double wall has an insulation barrier between the layers of piping and is a class A system used for hot exhaust from wood and coal.

For woodstove or “all fuel” chimney you can buy triple wall class A pipe, some has insulation between 2 of the 3 layers and the rest is air gaps. It’s big, ugly, and cheap. The better product is double wall class a which is insulated much better and is a higher performance and higher cost pipe.

Interior black connector pipe for woodstoves is single wall or double wall. The double wall is air gap insulated.