3rd week in April....still running our stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Some of our early mornings and late evenings are still cool enough (30's and 40's) to keep on running. My wife loves the shot of heat, especially in the morning. I think this will be the last week and then a season ending clean and a dose of DampRid. Go Sox, Bruins and Celtics......
Bill

Reactions: Orson_Yancey
Same here....I will be installing the window air conditioner next week and still have the stove running. Ahhh New England.

Some chilly willy wet days here so i'm just throwing in half bags at a time..
not crazy about running this time of the year as it's not cold enough to run a constant burn.
using the room/auto mode which ramps up/down/ shuts off.. rinse/lather/repeat..
makes for a bit dirtier burn.....flame is fine but glass gets dirty quick..

Reactions: Orson_Yancey
Most of this week we haven't gotten out of the 40's for highs and it has been dark and rainy, so the P43 has been running regularly. On the rare day we have had sunshine (last Sunday and Monday), the stove didn't run at all.

I have shut down the P61a since the ground seems to be warm enough to keep the basement in the high 50's and I don't want to heat up the foundation for the summer.

Last week I used something like 1.5 bags of pellets - big change to this week. Just hope I'm not still burning on June 28 as happened 2 summers ago.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Still fire up the stove to take the chill off in the morning.I let it run for a few hours and shut it down.I have 2 bags left and that will do it.:cool:

Reactions: bogieb
Had a few warm days but it's been back to daytime temps of 35-40F. If it snows Mother's day it wouldn't be the first time.

Right now for the amount of oil I've used to heat the house I'd have lost money with pellets in these same conditions. Plus there are no pellets available anyway now. Non the less, the oil level indicator is basically sitting right where it was three weeks ago, maybe moved a half wafer thickness worth of oil in that time. This time of year in the low 40's it doesn't take much heat to do the job unlike December or January.

Mine's running right now....have plenty of pellets left and it's supposed to get to 39 tonight and tomorrow night, and only a high of 46 degrees tomorrow....but it warms up after Wednesday....so maybe I'll be cleaning it this weekend. ;)

have 2/half tons in the basement...
haven't run the stove for a week..
actually used my oil furnace 1st time this year about 10 days ago for a day..
geez.. prob have over 260 gallons left...

It's 63deg and raining here, was 52 overnight last night.

I thought I was shut down for the the summer. WRONG! It has been cold and rainy here for days. High yesterday was mid 40's and down into the 30's last night so the stove was up and running. I can remember running heat at times in April but this is the first for May around here. It may get fired up again tonight as well.

Give the mild winter we had here and my low pellet usage I can not complain. Well, yeah, hell yeah I can. It is cutting into my riding time. LOL!
I'm not a perfect day fair weather rider either but I know when to say screw it too.

Reactions: bogieb and johneh
Who cares what the month is. If u want to crank the stove get chill out go for it.

When it's raw it sucks. I actually think that's worse then a 20 degree day.

Cheers!

Reactions: bags and vinny11950
pellet stove running
wood furnace running
Cold and very very wet here
When will it end ?

Reactions: bags
Like everyone else, the cold and rain has the house feeling cold. Early next week the forecast calls for low 40s at night, maybe high 30s. Oy vey.

Reactions: bogieb and bags
Opening day of walleye season here and there are usually 100 boats on the lake (Oneida) It's 53° and pouring. I count about 4 out there. The 5 day forecast doesn't look any better. The pellet stove will be running all day today.

Opening day of walleye season here and there are usually 100 boats on the lake (Oneida) It's 53° and pouring. I count about 4 out there. The 5 day forecast doesn't look any better. The pellet stove will be running all day today.

HD,
Is that Onieda, TN?

I did not run the stove last night but awoke to a 63* reading on the house stat. I fired up the 68 so I could warm the place up. So now I'm at two runs in May here. That's a first. I'm usually finished by tax day 15 APRIL each year.

Last edited:
HD,
Is that Onieda, TN?

I did not run the stove last night but awoke to a 63* reading on the house stat. I fired up the 68 so I could warm the place up. So now I'm at two runs in May here. That's a first. I'm usually finished by tax day 15 APRIL each year.

Oneida lake in central NY. The Monday forecast calls for possible "frozen mix". Oh boy! Just a few weeks ago I was still in sunny Florida with the a/c on and going for a swim every night.

Reactions: bags
Still running ours! Supposed to be 34 tonight, and 30 tomorrow night, highs only around 50 first half of the week, tried to run without but the furnace (my backup ;)) started kicking on....so I have the pellets and might as well keep using them...

Reactions: vinny11950
It has been drawn out this spring. LOL! A friend who was actually the guy who turned me onto pellet stoves ran out of pellets so i gave him 10 bags. He offered to pay but I said just return 10 bags to me in the fall. He had called around and many of our places wee buy were out or other places had crappy pellets and charging full tilt still.

I was down at the lake cabin working all weekend and I know my wife ran the P68 while I was gone too. Hell, we had to turn on the heat down there both nights. We usually heat with wood but I have torn out the old beater fire place and one of the projects is to put a new free standing wood stove in but I have all summer to do that. Too many other projects to handle first.

Well, our last frost free date is May 30, so the low temps aren't unusual - just not for extended periods of time. I had the stove going on June 28-29 just a couple of years ago because the highs were in the 40's for a several days and no sun (all my vacations are like that - LOL).

What will surprise me is if I burn more in May than in April - which at this point seems a good possibility.