4 cord of wood vs a U-haul part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I ended up renting a 16' flatbed stake truck that also had a dump feature. The GVW was 25500# with an 11000# payload. I am pretty sure I had it overloaded with 3 cord of stacked red oak and sugar maple rounds. Thank god for the dump, by the time I got home I don't think I could have unloaded if I had to. The trees were all neatly stacked so I was able to climb onto the pile and cut down to 16" lengths, then throw the rounds down off the pile, load the pile into a wheel barrow, walk it 20 yards to the truck, throw the wood onto the dock height truck, climb onto the truck and stack it and then repeat for 8 hours, ALONE. This felt like the last 200' to the summit or the last mile of the marathon, it was a-lot of work, but now I have a huge pile of round in my back yard to split stack and dry for next year. It is a beautiful site to see big piles of wood in the yard. Thanks for all the input.

And the other cord?

I just couldn't do the whole 4 cords and I was already over loaded so I got a refund on the last cord. a few pictures attached

Attachments

• E-mail DSC02513.jpg
    E-mail DSC02513.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 715
  • E-mail DSC02515.jpg
    E-mail DSC02515.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 664
  • E-mail DSC02516.jpg
    E-mail DSC02516.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 657
Man is that alot of work! Hope you have a good back. I screwed mine up years ago splitting about that much wood by hand. Do your back a favor and use a log splitter for that huge pile!

Judging from your physical stature in that first photo, I'd say you should be real proud of a job well done. ;)

That is a phenomenal days work. And well done.

Get some rest.

And I thought removing 2 sliding doors and installing new replacements was a lot of work today Pretty good haul for one person one day You deserve a tall cold frosty or two

Nothin' like moving a pile of wood to make you appreciate the BTU content of other fuels! I am curious how dry/wet the wood appeared in the center of your rounds. ie - did the middle log that you cut out of the 4' section seem dry?

Also are you planning to split those rounds that you are stacking in the picture? Hard to tell the scale, but it looks like some may be around 10-12" in diameter if they are 16" long. Don't know what your space/yard issues are like, but it is a ton (or 6) more work to stack the rounds, unstack the rounds, split them, and re stack the splits. If you can just go from pile to split to stack, you'll save a lot of work!

Corey

I have to agree with Corey,

I stacked rounds of cherry last fall and they are nicely cracked at the ends ,but they are still not dry. Should have split them too.

Now I cut the rounds on day, come back later and split them and take them to the storage racks and stack them immediately. Less progress per day, but much better for good quality firewood.

Carpniels

Nice! I had a guy dump a load of pine on me that I thought looked huge, but It's amazing how splitting and stacking neatly reduces the visual size of a pile. On splitting...If you now look at that pile and think about how much great exercise it will be to split that by hand it's awsome. The pile I got has been splitting exercise now for a few weeks. Point of note...Pine is not as easy to split as I would have thought at first. But you sure can stack that stuff high! I've got it stacked to about 6.5' on pallets.

Now you need to go out and get lots of pallets to stack that stuff on. Happy splitting!!!

Mo Heat said:
Judging from your physical stature in that first photo, I'd say you should be real proud of a job well done. ;)

You don't have to be big to cut a lot of wood, Mo. Those little guys are closer to the ground; they can cut wood all day with no back strain (assuming regular diaper changings).

Eric Johnson said:
Those little guys are closer to the ground; they can cut wood all day with no back strain (assuming regular diaper changings).

Hopefully in the years to come that doesn't apply to me.

I quess it Depends.

BrotherBart said:
Eric Johnson said:
Those little guys are closer to the ground; they can cut wood all day with no back strain (assuming regular diaper changings).

Hopefully in the years to come that doesn't apply to me.

I quess it Depends.

Good grief!!! :p

I am a bit sore after the wood fest but it isn't too bad. I thought for sure that I would need a crane to get me out of bed sunday morning, but I guess I am in better shape than I had thought. I just need to get the wood splitter up and running. The ignition switch crapped out on me and we are having a hard time figuring out the wiring. It is a homemade job that was built with a tractor motor and a car ignition system. I don't really understand it but that is why i am paying the small engine guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.