750 year old oak damaged by fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sad. Why would anyone do this, what a beautiful tree. Last time I was in England I walked through a park I used to play football (soccer) in and came across an old enemy. A huge old white oak that's a good 6 feet in diameter. Must be a few hundred years old. Can't tell you how many times our football got stuck in it's gnarly branches. Nice to see it still standing though. Very sad anyone would do this though, so pointless. I hope they get caught.

I do wonder how many cords you'd get out of it.

Probably not the first fire that ole' oak has been through.

I always wonder what the world was like when a huge tree like that was a little sapling. Did it provide shade for knights on the way to the crusades? If it could only talk the stories it might tell.

Reactions: Nelson and CTFIRE
Status
Not open for further replies.