8 hour burn, big pile half burned pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
hey guys, ran the stove 8 hours on its lowest setting last night......had my LFF on 3, LBA on7, and still got this pile of half burned pellets. cubex is the fuel so i wouldn't think its that....is the air to high?

I wonder if you have a problem with the air flow. When you posted about the "tall" flames I was thinking either too much fuel or not enough air. I know the internal "fan blades" on the combution blower is held on the motor shaft with a set screw (I believe, mine is), I wonder if that is possibly loose.... I don't think it would be without making some type of noise but who knows. I think someone last year had an identical problem with unburt pellets in the burn pot but I just don't remember the outcome. Maybe you could try the search feature to find it. Good luck and keep us posted...hopefully Mike will chime in again.

slvrblkk said:
I wonder if you have a problem with the air flow. When you posted about the "tall" flames I was thinking either too much fuel or not enough air. I know the internal "fan blades" on the combution blower is held on the motor shaft with a set screw (I believe, mine is), I wonder if that is possibly loose.... I don't think it would be without making some type of noise but who knows. I think someone last year had an identical problem with unburt pellets in the burn pot but I just don't remember the outcome. Maybe you could try the search feature to find it. Good luck and keep us posted...hopefully Mike will chime in again.
thanks for the input will check that out....the fire is even more out of control now that the new auger motor is feeding at a constant rate....also the plate in the bottom of the hopper is closed as far as it can go.

FratFart said:
top auger turns intermittently according to heat setting
bottom auger turns constantly
right, but the top auger wasn't working properly causing dry cycles of the bottom, anyway that problem is fixed.

HEMI_1500 said:
hey guys, ran the stove 8 hours on its lowest setting last night......had my LFF on 3, LBA on7, and still got this pile of half burned pellets. cubex is the fuel so i wouldn't think its that....is the air to high?

High air setting should make the pellets burn faster. I think too much fuel going in for low setting.

IMO, I think the LFF should be at 1, and LBA at 3.....thats what I have mine set at...no piles of pellets.

macman said:
HEMI_1500 said:

IMO, I think the LFF should be at 1, and LBA at 3.....thats what I have mine set at...no piles of pellets.
I'm gonna try that thanks mac......BTW tech support told me the lower both settings i will get a very dirty burn....do you find anytruth to it?

HEMI_1500 said:
.....BTW tech support told me the lower both settings i will get a very dirty burn....do you find anytruth to it?

In general, yes. Pellet stoves that are run on low settings seem to have a hard time running "clean". That's why I left LFF on 1, and raised the LBA to 3....I wanted more air for a little better burn.

If I were you, I'd try these settings, and maybe fiddle with raising the LBA to 4 or 5 maybe....see what happens.

(Same thing happened when I had the Astoria....running on low was tough. It either burned a little dirty, or would go out sometimes...I had to fiddle w/ the air intake to get a "balance").

hmmm, mine is set to:

LFF=4
LBA=6

when I run it in low (1 and 3) it gets dirty but just as it normally should be, not very dirty.

hemi, also i think the pellet brand may be a factor. I always get un-burned pile when burning the warm front from NEWP, almost always, not when i burn other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.