$8000 liner install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Madden5116

Jun 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
So I bought a blaze king and asked them to give me a quote on install. They say they need to remove clay tiles and reline it. 8k total. They also said its required to have a stainless steel liner. Is this true? My house is 15 years old and clay flue is in good shape. Wasn't expecting replacing my coal stove with this blaze king would cost me $13,000.

Is this stainless steel liner absolutely necessary?

Reactions: Sono
So I bought a blaze king and asked them to give me a quote on install. They say they need to remove clay tiles and reline it. 8k total. They also said its required to have a stainless steel liner. Is this true? My house is 15 years old and clay flue is in good shape. Wasn't expecting replacing my coal stove with this blaze king would cost me $13,000.

Is this stainless steel liner absolutely necessary?
It may very well be nessecary. And breakout may be as well but $8000 is really high

I've been running a coal stove the past 5 years in this flue with no problems. Are steel liners required now or are they just trying to sell me one?

Estimate

20220627_193319.jpg

I've been running a coal stove the past 5 years in this flue with no problems. Are steel liners required now or are they just trying to sell me one?
They are not required if the masonry chimney has all required clearances and all tiles and mortar joints are in good condition.

You also failed to mention they are pouring a crown as well. But I would get several other quotes I see a few issues with the quote including specifying an 8" liner and 6" pipe. And it's a really cheap m flex liner

They are not required if the masonry chimney has all required clearances and all tiles and mortar joints are in good condition.

You also failed to mention they are pouring a crown as well. But I would get several other quotes I see a few issues with the quote including specifying an 8" liner and 6" pipe. And it's a really cheap m flex liner
Thank you for your replies. Is a new crown necessary when they do a knockout?

What size is your clay liner?

Thank you for your replies. Is a new crown necessary when they do a knockout?
Not because of the breakout no. But it may need it anyway we don't know

So 8 x 12 clay won't work?
Probably not it's too big. But again we have no clue about condition of the liners or chimney clearances so we really can't give much advice.

Do I have any other options besides a knockout and steel liner? Maybe an oval liner?
Not really an option for 8". You will need oval anyway though so it can be insulated even with breakout

They never got on the roof so I'm not sure how they know i need mine replaced. Weird.
That I can't answer. They may have been able to see damage from the bottom. Or seen lack of clearances. Or just the fact that it isn't sized properly.

Bholler is correct. Best course of action is to get another bid.

Reactions: Hoytman
Or get a stove that uses a 6" liner.
Bigalta beat me to it. Your price for that liner may be half (or less), if you just choose a 6" stove. Buy yourself a BK Princess, slam a 6" corrugated liner up thru that clay flue (no knock-out required), and enjoy the heat.

The King has mind-blowing burn times, but the Princess is the same tech with a smaller fuel tank, and a 6" flue.

Last edited:
Bigalta beat me to it. Your price will be half (or less), if you just choose a 6" stove. Buy yourself a BK Princess, slam a 6" corrugated liner up thru that clay flue (no knock-out required), and enjoy the heat.

The King has mind-blowing burn times, but the Princess is the same tech with a smaller fuel tank, and a 6" flue.
It will need to be an oval liner to allow for insulation though