$90/cord for unsplit wood - Fair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a local guy who is selling us 2 1/2 - 3 cords of unsplit wood (cut into approx 18" lengths) for $100. It was cut last fall, and my FIL (who knows a lot about this sort of thing) said it is nice and dry. It's a mix of hardwoods and poplar.

The same local guy has about 10 cords (his estimate) of mixed hardwoods, also unsplit and cut into approx 18" lengths, that was cut last winter. He'll sell it to us for $90/cord, we haul, and cheaper if we buy a bunch.

Is this a good deal, considering we'll have to rent a splitter? He's only four miles away, which sweetens the deal.

I bought 3 cord of 100" oak for $70 per cord last week in northern WI. So thats not bad if its already cut to length. 8

Well if you were out east people would be pushing and shoving you out of the way for wood at that price. But here in the land of for sale signs and almost 9% unemployment 90 bucks for a cord of unsplit mixed is about the going rate. some are as high as 200 for split and as little as 75 for log lengths. The real question is...is it worth it to you? What is your time worth? For me I have more time than money so I get all my wood for free. But you have to do extra work to get enough to get all your wood for free. If the wood is all cut to size and nice and seasoned(does it clink when knocked together(seasoned) or thunk/thud(still pretty wet). Is it darkened and full of checking(cracks) on the ends? it is a darn good deal if truly seasoned.It really don't get much better than that. I would get a splitting maul at first and try that since you will need one even if you do need to get a splitter later on. I use a 5 ton taskforce electric splitter from Lowe's and I have split over 5 cords this summer with it. It works well for the price. Will not split elm very well but oak, maple, hickory, cherry no problem. and a third the price of a cheap gas splitter. Really at this point in the year,if you dont have your wood yet and need to burn it for this winter, I would be getting any good seasoned wood I could get. You can be picky and look for deals after that. Good luck

I would jump at that deal in a heartbeat!I dont mind splitting which i would in my spare time.Here in Ct i have been looking for wood and the best deal in my area is alittle under $200 a cord split and delivered.There is lots of woods here in Ct but the demand for wood and fuel prices has really increased the price of firewood.

These are full cords, so less than $50 per full cord?

MarkG

Ive been paying 75 per full cord cut into 18 inch legnths. all ash and some oak, cheery, hickory, that is also dumped at my property.

serinat said:
Found a local guy who is selling us 2 1/2 - 3 cords of unsplit wood (cut into approx 18" lengths) for $100. It was cut last fall, and my FIL (who knows a lot about this sort of thing) said it is nice and dry. It's a mix of hardwoods and poplar.

The same local guy has about 10 cords (his estimate) of mixed hardwoods, also unsplit and cut into approx 18" lengths, that was cut last winter. He'll sell it to us for $90/cord, we haul, and cheaper if we buy a bunch.

Is this a good deal, considering we'll have to rent a splitter? He's only four miles away, which sweetens the deal.

1. Most folks in Michigan do not know what a cord of wood is. They are usually talking about a stack that is 4' x 8' and cut whatever length. That is not a cord. So find out what his "cord" of wood is before committing to a price.

2. A mix of hardwoods and poplar. Are you aware that poplar is actually a hardwood? So what are these other "hardwoods?"

3. You very well man not have to rent a splitter; especially for the poplar.

4. Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
serinat said:

1. Most folks in Michigan do not know what a cord of wood is. They are usually talking about a stack that is 4' x 8' and cut whatever length. That is not a cord. So find out what his "cord" of wood is before committing to a price.

2. A mix of hardwoods and poplar. Are you aware that poplar is actually a hardwood? So what are these other "hardwoods?"

ya us michiganders dont know what a cord of wood is

3. You very well man not have to rent a splitter; especially for the poplar.

4. Good luck.

yep us michiganders dont know what a cord of wood is, sad but true

Go take a looksee. It sounds like a great deal unless the mixed hardwood is all lower BTU hardwood like popple, basswood, cottonwood ect. If half is Oak, Hickory or Maple I'd jump on it.

130 plus for a cord of tree length here in southern maine. and thats if you can get any. so it sounds like a good deal to me.

I would buy it. as much as I could get

okay i am stupid. i don't get it 2.5 (low side) for 100 = 40 a cord.......or 90 a cord you haul??? what am i missing here??? if you skip popular it goes up to 90 a cord? from 40???? buy it all at the 100 deal 400= 10 cords ....... i must be missing something.........

4x4x8 See all in Mi are not so dumb. We are just good at acting that way.
Don

pecor said:
Yep were all Dumb, But are Governor leads the pack :lol: :snake: :ahhh:

Here we goes again...it's Forest Gump time.
This a a free market boys and girls, as in Capitalism. You charge what the market will bear (sic). Not much "controversy" here Hoggie. Maybe some contentiousness, deservedly so.
It's all about margins: the profit for the seller.
You don't question whether or not your oil ...or beer.....or gas......or milk...or cell phone...or PC is "fair" or a good buy. Try to bargain or go cheap or complain for those products.
How about filling up your pickups or SUV's and bargaining with the pump --it is a computer you know ?
Do any of you really understand the COG ( cost of goods) of these ?
So why, since most of you have no real experioence or understanding of the firewood process FROM THE STUMP, can you question the fairness of firewood prices ? Don't like the price ? Don't buy it. What is this: "...way too high..." folly in another thread ?
Think you know the equipment, the cost of gear and fuel ( remember energy cost ), training, insurance, labor ? Try it in the real world: get to the tree, plan the cut, drop the tree, buck it up, trailer or skid it to a yard........now you're where your firewood is purchased and dropped.
It is the walking in moccassin thing: go out with a logger or firewood producer. Work with them for just an hour. "Way too high".
"Fair".
Now back to the real world...............

thats not bad. I tell people if you can get a good cord for under $100 your doing well still

update: we bought it all. the first purchase was a large pile of mixed hardwoods (incl poplar mixed in with the good stuff), 2.5+ cords , for $100. he needed it out of the way so he could build his pole barn.

the second purchase was six large piles of mixed hardwoods, each pile more than one full cord, with no more than 25% poplar in each pile. one pile was all hickory, no poplar. bought all six piles for $400. we're still hauling it.

now, we have to split and stack it.

Is it a good deal? Depends on the prices in your area.
I just purchased another cord from a guy, all oak and it is split for $100.
I have to haul but he does help load my trailer. Best price in my area. Jeff

If I were you I wouldnt let the guy that your buying that from know that he is shorting himself big time. Oak, split green is going for $200 around me

I paid $50 a cord for Fir that was clear cut on a 10 acre parcel. I can drive almost to the leftover pieces but it's up to me to cut and split and haul it home. Nice that it's only 6 miles away. I could have had 4' lengths delivered for $70 cord plus $1 mile round trip for delivery - which would have put it close to $100 a cord. I like the lower price and I enjoy the work - so I think your price is pretty good.

pecor said:
Yep were all Dumb, But are Governor leads the pack :lol: :snake: :ahhh:

The Mayor of Detroit is a close second! But Grand Mole does lead the pack. :p

Buy as much as he will sell you and tip him 10%! I bought two cords of red oak c/s/d for $150 a cord in June. This was semi seasoned, split in March. I spent the next two months kicking myself in the a$$. I got lucky and got two more cords c/s/d, completely seasoned for $200 per cord, so that quelled me. As long as it is mostly hardwood, buy it and dry it. It's all gonna look the same when your done with it!

As my friend from the lumber dept. at Home Depot said to me 15 yrs ago...

WOOD IS GOOD!

I just decided to start burning wood. Too late to cut & dry wood myself.
To get me started I just bought 3 piled-high dump loads (1 ton) of C/S/D/ delivered for $600. It's nice and dry. He said each load was at least a cord.
I'm thinking I couldn't make my own wood for next year for that money if I put a price on my time. Do you think I should buy as much as this guy will sell me ?
I don't own a saw or splitter or even a maul yet. I've got some trees on my property but, if I were to cut my own, I'd probably just buy a log load since I have no experience felling trees and I'm scared. lol

edit: 48x48x96=22184=1 cord.
I measured the 1st pile I stacked. It's not square but I figured an approximate average of 72x138x17=168912
Maybe I didn't do so well ? I'm not complaining. It was my only option at this point in time but it may factor in as to weather I try to produce my own.
Can you fit a cord in a 1 ton dump truck ? They were pretty full loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.