900 square foot hunting camp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlasko

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Looking to replace a very inefficient older wood insert that eats the wood at our hunting camp. Realistically the camp gets used weekends and maybe 3 weeks straight in November for hunting season. Its hard to justify a brand new Jotul but I just can't seem to find the middle ground between a used stove or new one. I want something efficient that doesn't use a lot of wood but don't want to break the bank for limited use. My parents have an Jotul F3 that I'm in love with but can't seem to find a used one, yet. Are there excellent comparables. I found a VC Aspen but I'm not sold on the whole auto dampening deal. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

The camp is an older brick building with a stone chimney with a clay flue. Its has a loft for sleeping but I just reinsulated the ceiling so I'd say the insulation situation is "adequate".

If new, the lowest cost would likely be a Drolet. (Used just depends on what is available to you between now and next October...)
@EbS-P has one.

Last edited:
Looking to replace a very inefficient older wood insert that eats the wood at our hunting camp. Realistically the camp gets used weekends and maybe 3 weeks straight in November for hunting season. Its hard to justify a brand new Jotul but I just can't seem to find the middle ground between a used stove or new one. I want something efficient that doesn't use a lot of wood but don't want to break the bank for limited use. My parents have an Jotul F3 that I'm in love with but can't seem to find a used one, yet. Are there excellent comparables. I found a VC Aspen but I'm not sold on the whole auto dampening deal. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

The camp is an older brick building with a stone chimney with a clay flue. Its has a loft for sleeping but I just reinsulated the ceiling so I'd say the insulation situation is "adequate".
First off are you looking for an insert to replace your insert or a stove?

If that brick isn’t covered, until it’s warm, it’s going to soak up heat and you’re going to use a lot of wood. Weekend use dictates a quick warmup which means a lot of heat… which means a lot of wood. You may not be saving a lot of wood with a new stove.

Things I would look at before putting a new stove in woul do be a blockoff plate in the chimney and looking to see if the current stove has a baffle.

Making sure your wood is dry will help also. Cooking off the water uses a lot of heat that can’t go into the room. New stoves like really dry wood.

First off are you looking for an insert to replace your insert or a stove?
I assumed freestanding because the OP mentioned Jotul. They don't have any inserts currently. If it needs to be an insert then then a decent used 1.5-2 cu ft insert from Century, Drolet, Regency, Quadrafire, PE, etc. would work.

Reactions: bholler
So yes, I’d like a freestanding stove not an insert. The brick is only on the outside of the building. There is also an lp furnace that I keep on 50 through the winter. The stove is simply for supplemental heat and enjoyment.

I just recently bought a drolet escape 1200 and love it, I'm heating a 12x16 shed insulated with 1.5inch styrafoam. It's the smallest stove in their small stove linup and it's way too powerful for my shed, even when the temps outside are -20 to -30. Runs perfect when shut all the way down and can run steady for about 3-4 hours. Not sure what it can do filled with only hardwood but I have a mix of wood that I don't even know what it is. I paid under $800 here in canada for judt the stove, found it on sale then found a company that price matches plus 10% off so I got it for a great deal. I know they usually run for like 1200 plus tax.

So yes, I’d like a freestanding stove not an insert. The brick is only on the outside of the building. There is also an lp furnace that I keep on 50 through the winter. The stove is simply for supplemental heat and enjoyment.
Ok but do you have a fireplace now?

Yup there’s a fireplace
Ok so you are also going to need a stainless liner run through that fireplace flue. And if you want the benefits of a freestanding stove it will need to sit infront of the fireplace not in it

I'm not sure this is possible for a drolet; the exhaust would.have to elbow immediately to a horizontal run to reach the flue - IF the fireplace is even tall enough for that.

I think an insert is the way to go

Post a picture of the fireplace and provide the measurements for it so that it's easier to make a good recommendation.

I think “fireplace” isn’t literal if I understand. I think we are just looking for a free standing stove that has a wall pass through into an exterior masonry chimney. There is an existing older wood stove to replace, not a fireplace since he said all the brick is on the outside.

@mlasko Please clarify if there is a hearth and an open fireplace, or a wall thimble. How high is the thimble?

Last edited: