A little SNAFU before installation has even begun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capetownkg

Oct 31, 2012
Southern Maryland
Ok guys I have researched a lot about installing the stove and gather my supply list and done all of this groundwork. You would think bam he is ready for install, but my lovely wife has thrown in a possible wrench.

Quick back story, her house burned down when she was a kid (dryer not fireplace). So she is demanding that utmost safety is issue one. Naturally I agree. If she had her way I would be paying someone else to come install what I think I can do. So we compromised and I said I would have someone inspect my install job.

Ok so the question is what professional can i call to inspect a install job that would sign off verbally that all seems to be looking good and safe to light??Is this even possible or would that push me into the realm of home building regulations and permits? If i have to apply for those and have someone inspect instead of have my wife yell at me I will. Any input would be great on how to go about having someone inspect the install, or input on easing my wife's mind on a self install. The second is probably a long shot.Thanks

I'm with your wife, though you can at least say that you are here seeking guidance.

Check and see who is your local inspecting authority. That would be good for insurance purposes. Hopefully that person is qualified and thorough, but not always. Another option would be to have a local certified sweep inspect the installation. Or perhaps the stove shop where the stove is being purchased?

Random thoughts . . .

I completely understand where your wife is coming from . . . in my experience the two groups of folks who are most respectful of the dangers of fire and just how fast it can change your life are firefighters and those who have lost a home to fire . . . these two groups rarely take short cuts when it comes to fire prevention and fire safety.

I'm guessing that your wife is probably super careful about anything that can cause a fire . . . and she probably has you clean out the dryer ductwork at least once or twice a year . . . not to mention the dryer's lint trap . . . a lot of folks remember the lint traps, but forget the ductwork.

An inspection is a good idea. As BG mentioned . . . it really depends on the authority having jurisdiction. In many places it is the fire department which may have a guy assigned to check these out or an actual Fire Inspector or Code Enforcement Officer. Depending on the area you may have to take out a permit for the install . . . or not.

Not to throw another spanner into the works . . . but you will want to also talk to your insurance company. They may have restrictions as well . . . some may do their own inspections or require an inspection after the install, some may allow a woodstove -- but only if it is is professionally installed while some will not care and some will raise the premium -- while others will change a thing. The long and short of it . . . you want to check before you start the install to avoid any nasty surprises with denials of coverage, claims or to suddenly find an increase in your premium.

That said . . . you can also let your wife know that woodstoves can be safe to use . . . many of us here are firefighters who have personally seen fires caused as a result of burning wood . . . but we have also seen far more fires caused by unattended cooking. More over, if you take some precautions such as learning how to run the stove, install the stove to the manufacturer's specifications for clearances and floor protection (or even exceed those minimum numbers), regularly inspect and clean your chimney, use commonsense (i.e. not using gasoline to light fires, not putting ash into cardboard boxes or plastic bags and leaving them on the hearth, garage, wooden deck, etc.) you can run the stove safely.

I installed my own. I KNOW that it is done properly, and all required clearances are exceeded. I have seen a couple of jacked up 'professional' installations, and heard about more here. If I had to pay somebody to do it, I would be watching every step.

Jake is right, call your insurance company. Mine didn't require a pro install, or a township inspection. My agent came out and took a couple of pictures, some measurements, and made a copy of the manual.

Without boring you with numerous stories of blatent incompetence, I can say I seem to have awful luck at finding professionals who are competent in their craft, or at least not ashamed to take gross shortcuts. If I want something done right, I know I have to do it myself, or at least be there helping when it's done.

To satisfy the safety concerns, I would be making two calls:

1. Insurance company, to understand their requirements (post installation inspection, etc.).
2. A local NACS certified chimney sweep.

Both can probably give you help before, during, and after the installation. If you're new to burning, it will also be good to have a sweep clean and evaluate your setup mid-winter at again at season's end this year, and the next few years to come.

As a fellow firefighter, I agree with Jake in calling the local authorities and finding out exactly what you need to do. I know the instructions for the stuff is pretty clear, but make sure it meets local codes. Sometimes it will be the local fire department, other times it could be the building department. I live in an unincorporated area of the county, so I had to go through the local building department and pull a permit (which is a PAIN!!!! by the way), but you have to make sure you do things the right way. As for the insurance, it depends on who you have. I have Farmers, and when I called them they couldn't care less about the stove, but just reminded my that it needs to be installed to code.

As Jake said, stoves are very safe, but the potential for disaster is there. They are not without risk, and you need to do everything you can to reduce/eliminate that risk. Lastly, you have to keep the wife happy. That's probably the most important thing, because if she isn't happy, you won't be either.

Good luck with the install, and post some pictures. I hope to begin installing mine next week, and plan on taking pictures (if I remember!!)

Definitely ask questions and post a good pictures of each stage here. With lots of eyeballs on your project, local inspection and a nod from the insurance company you will be ok. Get a couple good fire extinguishers and put them near the room and house exits for further reassurance. Add smoke and CO detectors if they are not already in place. And then clean out the dryer vent to show her you are looking out for family safety.

Inspectors are not always thorough, but at the same time are required for insurance purposes. Same with installers, some are certified but don't always follow all regulations. The inspection is necessary for insurance purposes in most cases. You can only hope he takes his time and makes sure its done right. Other than that, your best education are the helpful people on this site. The amount of people coming on here asking "my installer did this, is this right" and then getting a response of " no" or " theres a better/safer way" is mind boggling. Sounds like you did your homework, so whether you do it yourself or have someone else install, coming back to this site for reference is best.

Capetownkg, It is quite difficult for one to be too careful while planning fire safety. The comments by begreen and FirefighterJake have my very strongest support. Having the imprimatur of your local Codes Office and your insurance company become quite significant in the event of a fire and should allow your wife to sleep more soundly.

Good luck to you and your family.

Just as important: Get into the habit of practicing safe burning techniques.

Don't leave the stove door cracked with a fire and nobody in the room.
Store hot ashes in a closed metal bucket on a non-combustible outdoor surface.
After reloading, check for any embers that might have snuck out onto the hearth.
I also check my loading gloves and shovels/ash rake for sparks before leaving the room.

Not to be plugging another company here, but I've found Angie's List to be very helpful in finding qualified professionals of all types. Because you must pay an annual fee and all postings are checked to make sure they are legit, you don't get a bunch of bogus positive reports or unjustified flamers. I didn't join until I needed two different professionals, which allowed me to justify the expense.

I paid the $500 installation fee for my piece of mind and I felt I would have legal recourse if there was a problem. That being said I would probably have done a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.