A new handle for my pickeroon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
My pickeroon has become one of the primary tools for firewood processing this winter. Until recently, I had no idea what a pickeroon was. It is basically just a handle with a spike on the end. You jam the spike into the end of the log that you want to move and the handle gives you the leverage to easily pick up the log without bending over. It saves much labor.

Like an idiot, I left my peavey brand hume pickeroon behind my log splitter when I drove away. A broken handle was the result.

P1040454.JPG

P1040455.JPG

P1040456.JPG

Getting a new handle from Peavey would take too much time, so I went to the farm store and bought a 36" axe handle. While not entirely identical, I thought the $15 axe handle would do the job.

P1040457.JPG

First I had to remove the existing pickeroon head. The head was wedged in place and pinned. I ground out the peened pin and punched it out with a drift punch.

P1040458.JPG

P1040460.JPG

The head was still firmly attached and I had to drill numerous holes and chisel out the wood.

P1040461.JPG

The new handle was not a good fit.

P1040464.JPG

After much adjustment with the angle grinder with a flap disc, it would fit.

P1040465.JPG

I had to cut the wedge groove deeper with a hand saw.

P1040466.JPG

I hammered the wedge in after adding some wood glue.

P1040470.JPG

I was a bit too aggressive hammering in the wedge. I ended up splitting the handle below the head.

P1040471.JPG

I then cut the handle off just above the head. I needed to get this tool back in working order, so I continued even though I cracked the handle. I can repeat this process in the future to finally fix the tool. Of course using less force is a good idea.

P1040472.JPG

The metal wedge is the final thing to secure the handle to the head. The wood wedge spreads the top of the handle and the metal one keeps the wooden wedge from moving.

P1040474.JPG

I did not use a new metal pin since I plan to replace this handle again soon. Just a couple wood screws for now.

P1040475.JPG

I must say that this handle replacement was a bit of a disappointment. Not only did I crack the handle, but the "feel" of the handle is uncomfortable. The old handle was more rounded. This handle is more sharply angled near the head. This is uncomfortable when lifting large logs.

Just got done making 2 of them, 1 from an old axe and the other out of a steel shovel handle and 1/2" bolt. I have to say I like the one made from the shovel handle the best.

20220116_074425.jpg

Reactions: MikeK
I always had homemade pickeroon's or hookernoon's usually had pipe handles. Then about five years ago I treated myself to a Ochsenkopt brand hookernoon to using on my splitter and firewood processor. It was a high priced tool around one hundred fifty dollars. Light weight and very strong. Wouldn't be with out it. The other ones I have just set in the shed.

I've posted one I made before with a 16" hatchet handle. I love it. It amazes me that I can stick it in the end of a big round of oak and carry it with one hand. Great for pulling wood off of a pile or our of the back of the truck. Everyone should have one.

Reactions: Osage