A nice backyard score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
So yesterday afternoon went walking out in the back 40. Well it's far from 40 but you get the idea. Noticed some standing dead sprouts from a few oaks. No bark, look real dry. So went back to the house grabbed the tractor and cart loaded up to head into the woods. Dropped a few bucked them, nice DRY chips all the way thru, these were all roughly 7-8 inches at the base. So I split the ones closest to the base and stabbed it with the moisture meter. DAMN!! 17-19 %. Checked another and the same results. They have that nice clink when you bang two rounds together. Retrieved it all today got it in a dry area, since they are talking a soaking rain for Friday PM all thru Saturday. All in all about a half cord.

Time for Beers!

KC

Nice to find stuff like that. Closest I came to that were logs that had fallen many years ago in a rocky area, that never touched the ground. About a 1/2 inch of punk all the way around and no bark, but nice solid oak on the inside. Huge radial cracks completely around. Probably the most work I have ever done for the least wood, but I am hoping for some high btu's.

Very nice iskiatomic. It is sweet when you can cut wood on your own place.

You gotta love it when it is outside your back door! I am currently looking for a similar find on my property, since we just moved in back in July and I do not have near enough wood for this year. I have inquired about buying some "seasoned" wood, but everybody says "yeah, it is good and seasoned, then we split it before delivery." Ugghhhh.

That's awesome! Seasoned semi standing firewood. Can't beat that!

Status
Not open for further replies.