A novel use for those big rounds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a big party last year late in the season.
they had about 6 of those about 6 ft tall burning.
each one had people standing around keeping warm.
I'm gonna have to try that. How were they stabilized? Set into a hole in the ground?

I'm gonna have to try that. How were they stabilized? Set into a hole in the ground?

Yes sir. they fit in the ground nice.
The ones I saw were black locust almost post like maybe 12 inch round.
They were not that dry so it took some doing getting them going.
They were cut maybe 4 or 5 ft down the rest was solid.

the standing dead maple trees in my neighbors woods make excellent Swedish Stoves.......go to youtube and you can see different variations of this trick, it is really cool. Thanks for sharing with us!

At a BBQ get togther last summer some friends and I were trying to get a pop bottle to flatten out by placing it in the fire and smooshing it. After many attempts we got one to work pretty good and lifted it out of the fire with a couple sticks placing it on a 30+" stump next to the fire. A couple hours later we noticed the stump was slowly burning fron the inside out. By morning there as just a small pile of ash where the stump/round used to be and a flattened out Mountain dew bottle.

Utility pole in front of my house started burning from the inside out. Cause was determined to be a bad bushing. Smelled smoke, looked outside and saw the pole smoking. "What the #$%% ?!" _g

At least the real nice dry ones. Should be able to do a couple of meals on one this sizeView attachment 66255
Hey thanks for posting this! I saw your post a few weeks ago and made my first Swedish Canddle/Stove a week ago and burned it at a family reunion bonfire. It was quite a hit and conversation piece! I don't have any pics, but can assure you it was NOT as straight as yours!!!

It was a piece of beech, about 18-20" high and maybe 15-16" diameter. Started it wth a little paper and dryer lint and it burned nicely. It worked especially well as it was rather warm out and you don't feel the heat much until the cuts start to burn through to the outside. Then we just added our campfire wood to it later. Great idea and thanks for sharing it!

-AJ .

white pine is good for scrambled eggs and minute steaks ?

It would be interesting to see the burn times/temps of various woods. This beech burned for a couple of hours, and we discussed cooking and felt it would have been good cooking for well over an hour. One of those campfire tripods would assist in regulating cook temps on the pan/pot.

Don't even need to saw - made a few small ones for my neighbor today just by splitting some sassafrass carefully. They do look a lot better sawn, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.