A p61a, accentra 52i, and a serenity walk into a stone house.... looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 15, 2018
Hershey
Hello! I have a few questions about what would be the best setup for some new stoves I've acquired this summer.

I got a castle serenity back in January and it paid for itself this past winter with a 1000 dollar savings of oil. So instead of paying another $4500 for the hotwater baseboard to keep me at barely 60F I want to spread the savings and the heat from pellets allover my whole house with some more stoves. My home is a 1700s brownstone farmhouse with some additions, barely any insulation, and older windows (1960s-80s)

Because of the 2+ foot stone walls dividing up my house into three main sections one stove wont cut it. So I got a used (not even a year old) Harman P61A to place where the serenity was last year, an Accentra 52i to place in a fireplace in the center part of my house, and moving the serenity to an end room that get the brunt of the wind in winter and even with the baseboard going full bore never gets above 45F (the thermostat doesn't go any lower)

My problems begin with the accentra. The old masonry fireplace chimney is very tall. It goes from a blocked up walkin fireplace in the basement, which the oil boiler vents into, all the way up two story and attic. About 45 feet from the boiler to top of chimney. Right now the boiler is not lined and vents straight into the chimney. I will need to line this as well as a 4 inch liner for the accentra.

Will it be bad if the two liners are close together in the chimney?
Can I use uninsulated liner or must it be insulated? The chimney is an interior one.
Should I try to hook up an OAK for the 52i? Will it pull down a chimney for 35ish ft?

I also want to build a pellet storage bin in the very dry area above my laundry room in an old summer kitchen thats attached at the end of the house. The storage room above is like a shed. I plan to reinforce the 2x6 floors with more 2x6s and some metal support post. I hope to hold 2 or so tons up there with a shoot down into the laundry to fill up scuttles. (also its a great spot to hook up a bulk delivery hook up for kingdom biofuels to bring in pellets as the drive way is right behind it.)

Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Attached is a floor plan of the first floor to help visualize what my stone money pit is like. Any help/tips/advice would be very appreciated!
FLOORPLAN.JPG

Last edited: