accent painting on Trex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I would like to paint a bright red or orange stripe, about 1" wide on the edge of a step made of Trex. I've googled a bit, but most people are talking about staining instead of painting, and doing it on an entire deck. I just want this for safety. So I'm wondering what paint will stick best and also wear best (given foot-traffic wear).

Thanks.

How about that new Krylon spray paint that is designed to bond to plastic?

I like the idea of the traction tape but I do question how well it will bond with the trex. Trex is a wood fiber poly plastic combo that is not really a very smooth surface. The very surface will also expand and contract slightly with weather (it has exposed wood fibers and can absorb water at the very surface.). I have a little over 500 sqft of trex decking and have had it for quite a few years now. If it were me, I think I might go the way of the rattle can with the idea that re-application may be required on occasion.

I figure if it is 50% plastic, that will be plenty to grab onto for an outdoor application adhesive....And I suspect the tape is stretchy enough to accomodate expansion and contraction.

I figure if it is 50% plastic, that will be plenty to grab onto for an outdoor application adhesive....And I suspect the tape is stretchy enough to accomodate expansion and contraction.

I would be willing to try it but on the other hand won't be overly surprised if it has premature failure. For 20 bean pods its worth a shot.

I would be willing to try it but on the other hand won't be overly surprised if it has premature failure. For 20 bean pods its worth a shot.
Course an 8oz can of some high-quality enamel would be a lot cheaper. Thanks for the suggestion and link though, Woodgeek.

Perhaps one could smooth out the grain in the to be taped down area with a belt sander so that there is a better contact surface?

Perhaps one could smooth out the grain in the to be taped down area with a belt sander so that there is a better contact surface?

Hmmm...not sure that would work. Its kinda like sanding drywall mud until you hit the paper - it will just continue to "fuzz" up. The only time I have seen a smooth edge on this stuff is if it was cut with a metal blade. Maybe a light touch with a hand planner??

I'm a big fan of marine coatings for outdoor applications like this. The Interlux Pre-Kote + 1-part topside with some Awl-Grip thrown in for traction, is where I'd be focusing my search. Call Interlux tech or Jamestown Distributors for specific recommendations. I suspect any paint or adhesive on Trex will fail without a chemical prep / deglosser.

Maybe attach tape to, or paint, a metal strip which is then attached to the step. I'm assuming you're talking about the vertical edge of the step here.

Reactions: woodgeek
I love the internet sometimes......I was about to suggest using stainless steel for the metal strip!

I suspect Rusty has gotten the answer to his question! ;lol;lol

Maybe attach tape to, or paint, a metal strip which is then attached to the step.
Could work.
I'm assuming you're talking about the vertical edge of the step here.
No, just as much the horizontal surface right where it drops off, as you're coming down; it's just a single step between an interior finish floor and a deck, see:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/stair-design-for-an-exterior-door.112036/

... post #11. I've noticed that your eye doesn't really pick up the dropoff - something to do with the parallel edges of Trex gap above and below the riser. It's unsettling to me even though I'm used to it, potentially a hazard to someone unfamiliar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.