Acceptable test range for Quad Castile Thermocouple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak directly about your specific stove, but I can offer up crude test of your thermocouple, but you will need a Digital Multilt Meter (DMM).... Set the DMM to lowest DC voltage scale, hopefully less then 200mV. Disconnect the thermocouple wires from control board, and connect them to the DMM leads. Heat the tip of the thermocouple with a candle, and watch the DMM it should read some measurable voltage as you heat the thermocouple. Perhaps as little as 4mV. If your DMM does not have a real low scale, then it won't be usable for this test.

Bottom line is that is that an observed changing voltage would indicate that the thermocouple is good. Even if that's the case you might want to replace the thermocouple first, since it should be a small fraction of the cost as compared to a new control board.

Thermal couple wire can be fixed normally with some wire strippers and a blow torch. If the end is broken any ways. I used to install it for the company I worked for. You can buy the supplies from Omega wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.