Adding 5" reducer to lower draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was going to order one and had my mind changed. Well today despite having the stove dampened as far as I could and following all advice, my stove top got to 850F and burned through 15 lbs of wood in an hour and a half...

I just ordered the reducer. Figure it's worth a shot.
850 is not to hot.

I know but I feel I have no control of my stove no matter what I do. I dampen down all the way as quickly as I can in the beginning and still get stove top temps of 850. I feel like my stove is just on or off with no way to adjust flame and temp.

BHoller, what would you recommend for an insert stove top temp? Ideal range and maximum temp? When it gets this hot it gives off an odor so just wanted to get a second opinion

I know but I feel I have no control of my stove no matter what I do. I dampen down all the way as quickly as I can in the beginning and still get stove top temps of 850. I feel like my stove is just on or off with no way to adjust flame and temp.
We went over a lot of this offline. The testing that you did with me in the PM indicated very good control. What changed?

Yes we did, I'm not entirely sure? The only thing I can think of is that I'm getting to older dryer wood I had stacked.

Let bholler catch up in the PM with the details. 850 stove top is high, but you were operating at lower temps with a full load when we left off. Every fire is different. Today our stovetop reached 710º due to a different wood mix and maybe a hotter coal bed on restart with a little more air between the splits. It happens. You will get better with practice and watching these things.