adding a damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I have telescoping double wall stove pipe, and am considering adding a damper.

First with a telescoping stove pipe, how do you add it?

Second is there any negative things about it besides for having to take it out when I clean the chimney? Any other information would be helpful thank you.

I have added a damper section to mine do not drill out the double wall as it will ruin your stainless. It comes in a section like this.

Pete

Attachments

• 41LjvaEEiQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41LjvaEEiQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 120
I would say that for most installs (Edit- epa stove installs -Edit) it is not necessary however we get very high winds here and it gets used 2 or 3 times a year at our house on high wind days. It does not hurt to anything just leave it open if you do need it it is there.

Pete

I would say that for most installs it is not necessary however we get very high winds here and it gets used 2 or 3 times a year at our house on high wind days. It does not hurt to anything just leave it open if you do need it it is there.

Pete

I would assume that just having it in there would effect draft somewhat, even when open?

You say not to drill the double wall pipe because it will ruin the stainless...if this is so, why is it alright to drill the pipe to install a flue thermometer?

This is a serious question...I'm not concerned about the damper...as it is available already installed in a piece of pipe, that is certainly the way to go. But I was just about to give in and drill my double wall for a flue thermometer, even though I have been very reluctant to drill my pipe. Now i read not to drill the pipe as it will ruin the stainless. Can you elaborate?

Thanks. Oh - it is adjustable double wall I'd have to drill. Would I be able to get the thermometer back into the holes = be able to line them up again =after removing the probe from the adjustable pipe, then the pipe from the assembly, for cleaning? That just occurred to me as a possible issue. i guess I could mark the two sections of pipe before removing so I could realign? What a pain...another thing to forget as I age....maybe mark the pipe immediately after drilling....

Any comment appreciated. Maybe I should have started a new thread...

It is technically not alright however it is done. I did the probe too. The issue is that the stainless expands and contracts with the heat not much but it does. A friend of mine had a chimney fire a month back (to be fair he is stupid about cleaning his chimney and does not do it) he installed a through the pipe thermometer and then had a chimney fire. Guess where his pipe failed first right where the probe is it split like a banana peel 4 inches long and opened about an inch which just made it worse. This is some thing I did not know could happen. Here is how the fire chief explained it. Putting a probe in is a risk worth taking if you keep your chimney clean because fires happen fairly fast in a clean chimney. If you let it build up like my friend it gets so thick that it just burns and burns till its gone which gets super hot. So my thought is you do not want a lot of holes in your chimney because it increases the potential of the chimney failing. I also have adjustable pipe however it only goes through the lower section. It sounds like you want to go through both pieces is that right ?

Pete

It is technically not alright however it is done. I did the probe too. The issue is that the stainless expands and contracts with the heat not much but it does. A friend of mine had a chimney fire a month back (to be fair he is stupid about cleaning his chimney and does not do it) he installed a through the pipe thermometer and then had a chimney fire. Guess where his pipe failed first right where the probe is it split like a banana peel 4 inches long and opened about an inch which just made it worse. This is some thing I did not know could happen. Here is how the fire chief explained it. Putting a probe in is a risk worth taking if you keep your chimney clean because fires happen fairly fast in a clean chimney. If you let it build up like my friend it gets so thick that it just burns and burns till its gone which gets super hot. So my thought is you do not want a lot of holes in your chimney because it increases the potential of the chimney failing. I also have adjustable pipe however it only goes through the lower section. It sounds like you want to go through both pieces is that right ?

Pete
Thanks for answering..I have to think about this some more...

Status
Not open for further replies.